PAPA 18 Game Selection Revealed

US players:

Dave Hubbard (197)
Paul McGlone (198)
Joe Geneau (200)
Todd Seaver (201)
Justin Bath (202)

The amount of power I have by choosing what results to upload and when to rebuild the rankings is amazing (insert evil laugh).

I also just checked the Official World Golf Rankings and Tiger Woods is ranked 75th. Talk about a ranking system that needs a makeover, wtf with that?!? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Technically I can’t actually do any of the rebuilds yet on the new site, so insert Brian Shepherd’s evil laugh instead :smile:

1 Like

@movingpictures What ranking does she have?

She is currently ranked 2103 and has been playing in tournaments as long as she has been playing pinball, less than a year. http://www.ifpapinball.com/player.php?p=26539

Living in a pinball wasteland, most tournaments she has been to have been poorly attended and she has won WPPRs by default. She had been looking forward to PAPA for months and went from extremely excited to “I don’t want to go” after the division shift.

We have another lady friend who shares a similar ranking and position. They were both excited at the opportunity to play D, and now neither see a point in attending PAPA.

24 tournaments in a year and she wants to play D? If anything she is proving the point in the division restriction shift. I see no reason she shouldn’t be playing C based on her experience. Considering the idea behind D is clearly that of a division for complete n00bs.

Actually it’s more like 13 tournaments - a side tournament with 7 players isn’t much of a tournament.
Yes she has some experience, and look at her placings.
She averages a fraction of a WPPR per tournament, which is basically earned for showing up.

She has been playing pinball for less than a year of her life and has just started basic skill learning, in other words, a complete n00b. Are you aware of the quality of player in C divison? Because they are leaps and bounds above her skill level.

Also, if she had started playing this year as opposed to last, under the new WPPR 5.0, she would not have earned anywhere near the points she has now and would be D eligible. The majority of her points were earned from guaranteed base value charity tournaments.

Regardless of which division YOU think she should play in, that discussion is irrelevant.
My point is not that the restrictions exist, it is that they were changed a week before the tournament.
I’m sure it is a buzzkill for many other players as well.

playing C division at PAPA for the first time was like a punch in the face…not expecting the games to be set up that difficult

My first PAPA was PAPA8, I had only been playing pinball for a year at that point, didn’t even know such a thing as the World Champs of Pinball even existed and never played much before that year.

Played in C my first year, qualified and was hooked, the rest is history.

Perhaps the timing sucks, but IMO if the difference between A and B or C and D is really enough to ruin your trip…

You still get to compete at the BEST facility on the planet, against some of the best players in the world, that in and of itself should be enough IMO.

2 Likes

Tilt Forums post of the Year. Thanks for the chuckle.

Remember that this affects everyone else, too: some people that would’ve played C are now playing B, which will make C easier than it would be otherwise.

2 Likes

I remember being so excited to be at PAPA and so ready to “crush it” in C div, my soul got crushed instead…

What are the chances of a code update to TWD to balance the mode scoring before next week? Does anyone think that this is necessary?

A little PAPA and competitive pinball talk from a hosers perspective:

http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/episode-143-from-montreal-to-portland-or-adam-kiesler-and-noah-davis_41615

Also on itunes podcasts for you listening displeasure. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I’ll answer that , i dont know. :wink:

Late-breaking machine changes for PAPA 18! All of this is based on the live scoring that just went up:

A Division: WPT out, Funhouse in.

B Division: No changes.

C Division: X-Men, TOTAN out, High Speed, Indiana Jones (Stern) in.

D Division: Funhouse, Indiana Jones (Stern) out, X-Men, Orbitor 1 in.

Where is the live scoring available at?

http://papa.org/live

1 Like

That’s too bad about A division WPT being out. I’d much rather see some PAPAtv coverage of WPT than more Funhouse (got my fill from Louisville lol).

Or maybe this is so they can bring WPT back for A finals? Hmmmmmm…

1 Like

Classics I has had all kinds of changes.

Sorry for the late reply. I haven’t checked here in a while.

If a person knows what WPPR points are, they don’t really belong in Division D. The division is intended for total novices or casuals walking in off the street. As it turns out, we ended with 72 people in the division. Had we stayed at 1500 WPPR in a floorspace that also included Jr / Sr / Split Flipper, it would have been tight, to say the least. With 72 people registering in D, we feel the 7500 WPPR limit was the correct choice for the divisional cutoff, and it will remain there, or go even higher, in the future.

In a perfect situation, we would have made the changes months ago, but we didn’t have the necessary data and feedback then. Ultimately, our team felt it was best to correct a major problem late in the game than proceed into an nightmarish logistical scenario. With 56 teams in split flipper and 72 in D, that area of the tournament floor saw more games played than ever before.

5 Likes