PAPA 18 Game Selection Revealed

A little media coverage from today’s tournament in which I spread the PAPA gospel.
Also, proof I am not a troll doll.

http://metronews.ca/news/ottawa/1294174/pinball-pros-compete-for-street-cred-in-ottawa-arcade-tournament/

1 Like

I’m slowly coming to terms with the B division games…

Lots of different ways to play WOZ. It makes for a great tourney game in my opinion. I’m sick and tired of people bashing it.

WOZ HOADC: shooting lit colored horse inserts adds a horse of that color to your collection of horses – they are added to the left and drop off on the right. Once you have all the horses the same color or a different color, shoot under the R upper flipper to collect a score (there’s intricate scoring rules behind this), but more importantly, increase your Munchkin Mode multiplier (1.5x, then 2x… good luck getting beyond 2x) for your total Munchkin scoring for that ball. The bad part is that missing the shot under the flipper can be quite risky depending on how they have the R outlane set up. Rainbow horses are wild cards.

Don’t think anyone is bashing the ruleset. But face it JJP priced it out of most OPs range so they are very sparse on location hence most people (myself included) have no idea how to play it unless they know someone with it in their basement or live in a very location pinball rich area.

2 Likes

They also went through different distribution channels than Stern, and thus wound up in a bunch of oddball locations when they did get on route.

I’ll try to write up a quick tournament-players’ ruleset when I get home from work tonight.

1 Like

A quick write-up with basic scoring strategies would be extremely helpful.
Thanks !

There are also hours of WOZ footage from the AGDQ event. The speedruns for Horse of a Different Color and Battle the Witch start at 10:24:00 here: http://www.twitch.tv/m/793579 and continues here: http://www.twitch.tv/pinballjoe/b/608054269

1 Like

I loved having WOZ in the A bank last year. It helped me qualify. The whole time all I was trying to do was just get the crystal ball Multiball ready and also the regular multiball and then stack them together for great scoring. I at first didn’t like the game but it grew on me. Fun, and the best part LOTS of potential. Thanks Keefer.

1 Like

MHS: One thing you can do to Black Rose to make it more balanced is to set ‘CANNON LEVEL FEATURE START’ to ‘2’ so that it starts with Video Mode, and in order to get to Double Broadside you have to go all the way through the cannon awards.

Super excited :slight_smile:

Why would you nuke a skilled mode in favor of a video mode?

I think he’s saying just to push off double broadside further since it can be worth a lot very early on in the game. Its value is still kind of LOL compared to sinking ships of course, and Lyman proved that looping the top loop ramp endlessly during multiball is fairly valuable too (4,750,000/shot max). This will probably be important since I assume award SINK SHIP letters during mb will be set to traveling.

Yes this is exactly why I say keep it in otherwise MHS will have to remove the right ramp switch/ left inlane sw or just remove the wire ramp altogether lol

I usually fully agree and support every decision PAPA makes, however, I wanted to share my opinion with the PAPA folks regarding the last minute division eligibility change:

I feel it is in poor form to make this move a week prior to the tournament, once commitments and plans are already set.

My main issue is the poor Canadian dollar, and realizing I will be paying close to $30 an entry in A.
Had I know prior, I could have budgeted and saved proper funds for the event.
At this point, I am basically stuck in a lurch and have even contemplated skipping the event.

Not to mention the ladies in our lives who are beginners and will not be allowed to compete in D.
The shift from 1500 WPPR cutoff to 7500 is huge for D division.
Let’s face it, by being dragged to a few events and earning a couple WPPRs over a year, it is a given they will not be eligible for D under the last minute changes.

My lady friend loves pinball and was extremely excited to play her first PAPA in the division she belongs.
She is still an extreme beginner with very little experience, and has literally no chance of qualifying in C.

Again, with the eligibility being posted for months in advance, plans and commitments were made.
I understand the reasoning behind the division shift and am fine with that, however, changing the terms a week before the event is not cool or fair at all.

Just my 2 (relatively useless) loonies.

The wording for the exception in D reads weird to me:

Only unranked players, or players ranked higher than 7500 in the World Pinball Player Rankings are permitted to compete in Division D.

The way I read it is, if you are ranked higher then 7500 (so from 1 - 7499) you can play in D divison.

WOOOO D division here I come! :grin:

To me it should read:

Only unranked players, or players ranked lower than 7500 in the World Pinball Player Rankings are permitted to compete in Division D.

Either way I don’t care about the change, it has no affect on me, the only downside I see is now more people are forced into A so wait times on games might be longer.

I went from being bummed at being forced into A, to being inspired to kick ass. I wish I was going even more now.

4 Likes

One could always just go to fewer tournaments, too. Last time I looked I was 250ish (surely worse now), but I’ll still be restricted to A. Who’s the lowest-WPPR forced-A player?

US players:

Dave Hubbard (197)
Paul McGlone (198)
Joe Geneau (200)
Todd Seaver (201)
Justin Bath (202)

The amount of power I have by choosing what results to upload and when to rebuild the rankings is amazing (insert evil laugh).

I also just checked the Official World Golf Rankings and Tiger Woods is ranked 75th. Talk about a ranking system that needs a makeover, wtf with that?!? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Technically I can’t actually do any of the rebuilds yet on the new site, so insert Brian Shepherd’s evil laugh instead :smile:

1 Like

@movingpictures What ranking does she have?

She is currently ranked 2103 and has been playing in tournaments as long as she has been playing pinball, less than a year. http://www.ifpapinball.com/player.php?p=26539

Living in a pinball wasteland, most tournaments she has been to have been poorly attended and she has won WPPRs by default. She had been looking forward to PAPA for months and went from extremely excited to “I don’t want to go” after the division shift.

We have another lady friend who shares a similar ranking and position. They were both excited at the opportunity to play D, and now neither see a point in attending PAPA.