New pinball skills tutorial videos: looking for feedback from high level players

Thanks, exactly what I was thinking!

I will also hold up a “shield” flipper when the ball is in a partially exposed pops nest on that side of the playfield: Aerosmith/Kiss, Iron Maiden, Rush/X-Men, TWD, etc.

3 Likes

Here you’ll want to perform a sling drop pass. It does not matter if the sling fires or not. For example if the ball hits the left sling, the upraised left flipper, that you’ve prepped as the ball was traveling to the left sling, is dropped in such a way that the ball coming off the left sling makes contact with the dropping left flipper. Because the left flipper is dropping, the ball does not hit it at maximum relative speed and it will bounce to the right flipper where it can be on-the-fly alley passed back to the left flipper again if it was deflected to the edge of the right flipper, dead-bounced back to the left flipper if it deflected to the middle of the right flipper or shot to some objective on the playfield if it deflected to the middle of the flipper. If it deflects to the top of the right flipper you’ve got more time on your hands. It takes practice.

Thanks for all the help! One more question:
Do I lift the flipper, or do I raise the flipper if I hold it in the up position?
English problems :stuck_out_tongue:

For the flipper, I would say raise over lfit.

I feel like lift would be used for something more direct, like… “I must lift the game up to adjust the leg leveler.”

Raise seems more likely to be used as a cause of another action, as in… “I hit the target to raise the gate” or “I press the button to raise the flipper.”

English is nuts. But I also find all these subtle differences interesting.

2 Likes

Agree- I don’t think either one would be incorrect, but “raise” sounds more appropriate in that context.

Thanks for the explanation!

A bit an aside, but: I operate pinball on a location in Norway, and just set up an info screen there to help people understand pinball. In short it’s a mini-PC with Linux, showing Chrome in full-screen, looping through some of these fantastic tutorial videos, as well as a list of upcoming tournaments, the Norwegian IFPA rankings, etc.

Since it was a bit finicky setting this up to work automatically in full-screen with minimal Youtube UI showing, here are some keywords in case anyone else wants something similar:

• Enterprise Tab Rotate - Chrome extension to cycle between tabs. Best part: Can pull config (which tabs to show and for how long, etc) from an URL, so I have my config up on github so I can update things from home.
  • Youtube Windows Fullscreen - Chrome extension to automatically switch to full-screen mode when showing YT videos.
  • Youtube Premium - To avoid ads…
  • Linux set up to automatically log in and start Chrome on boot.

Happy to share more details if anyone wants something similar set up.

5 Likes

Thats awesome,
let me know if i can do anything to support this.
For example special edits of the videos or removing the soundtrack etc.

Just for information, I was stuck the last months, many things are happening right now, I have had no motivation for video editing but finally get to know the tournament scene and much more.
Yesterday I have had a breakthrough with the upcoming video, and its gonna be awesome! Cant wait for it to be ready :slight_smile:

cheers

9 Likes

Hey there,
since I’ve got another request on tutorials for location play, I made a video with no sound which provides dense information and should motivate people to dive deeper into the hobby. It’s meant to be shown on screens on location.
It also already includes parts of the upcoming shielding video :star_struck:
However, I did not include nudging, since i don`t want newcomers to destroy your machines.
Let me know how you like it and if you have any ideas for adjustments.

*this is not the final version, errors included

11 Likes

An excellent idea, thanks Abe! Would you consider adding titles to explain what’s happening? I find the auto generated subtitles on youtube work only OK for this.

1 Like

You mean the subtitles for the already existing videos right? Becaus this video has no voiceover, nor is it planned.
I will take a look at the other videos, this should be no problem. Thanks!

Dat smoldering live catch glare hahahahahaha I love it!

3 Likes

This is a great idea. In the UK we have (historically at least) run pinball events as part of a larger retro gaming event. There are a lot of pinball newbies that turn up and some videos showing the level of skill in pinball would be great at inspiring people to try some of these skill moves.

At our last show I did consider running your videos on a loop with subtitles enabled, but the subtitles are very busy because of the constant dialogue, and distract from the actual video. Something like what you have above, but maybe with some text as a title card, shown before explaining the concept in video would be perfect I think (though selfishly it would need to be English for our use case, and I’m sure localizing for other areas would be appreciated)

Very interested to see how this turns out :slight_smile:

Thanks for the input.
So for each skill a short description with 1-2 sentences before the skill is shown?
Sounds good, I also thought the information in the video above comes a littlebit too short.
Of corse I cant include all the information, in this case you should whatch the full videos :grin:

1 Like

Or, perhaps just a small title of the skill being displayed in a corner of the screen? So, someone sees this on location and really wants to learn more about the live catches they saw - they then have the name of the skill to look up on their own time. (And ideally, on your channel :sweat_smile:)

I’ve started to lay the groundwork for this to be looped on a location or two around me during tournaments once the final version is live. Keep up the great work!

2 Likes

Oh man, I love the “ray of light” showing how much of the drain gap you leave exposed. Brilliant.

7 Likes

Yeah, took me some time to figure out how to display this with my limited editing skills. But it turned out to be great and goes well with the beautyful Stranger Things Artwork. You’ve got to love these colors :heart_eyes:

To keep you updated, I entered all the subtitles manually and hope it works for your purpose.

2 Likes

Hey there, here is the final version.
Let me know if you need the video file for offline playback.

15 Likes