MP Ratings / Challenge Matches Open Thread

The IFPA integration is not an issue, nor is the fact that the ratings only go back to 1/1/16. When you play below your rating, you lose points, and how much you lose is determined by the number of matches played and the confidence level the system has in your rating (because of frequent known play). My confidence was medium, so I didn’t lose a crazy number of points, but it was a significant drop.

As Bowen mentions IFPA suppressions don’t factor in (this is a separate system). MP Ratings now pull in tournament results from several data sources (DTM, Brackelope, Challonge) so coverage is getting pretty good.

Some top level players don’t play in very many tournaments so the confidence level in their ratings tend to be lower (Elwin is a prime example). As a consequence you’ll see bigger jumps in rating when these players do play. Elwin jumped up 61 points after the IL state championship because he beat highly rated players.

One more thing to note: MP Ratings doesn’t look at how a player finished in the tournament. It’s all about which specific opponents a he/she faced and what those individual game results look like. If you finish well in a tournament by beating very low-ranked players but you had a couple of losses to players you should have beaten, your rating may decrease anyway.

1 Like

Back to Elwin.

Pinburgh 2017 Day 2 he goes from 6th to 1st, and has a red -8 next to his name.

IFPA Illinois he goes 16-4 and has a green +61 next to his name.

49-11 is far more impressive to me than 16-4. Is the field really that much more challenging in Illinois State Champs?

Maybe my issue is that the ratings are so focused on the specific players you play that it can’t take into account other circumstances that present more of a challenge. Playing 1st in a 4 player group is a significant disadvantage that doesn’t get factored in.

Also there’s a bug in neverdrains pin-masters results. It is showing that lower score = loss.

You’ll find out soon enough :wink:

5 Likes

@kdeangelo help!

Crap.

I now hate pingolf.

Edit: Ok, switched around the order and re-submitted the results.

4 Likes

Thank you! I’ll re-run things tonight and it’ll all get picked up then

Sooooo . . . what are you doing say 3/28 through 3/31/2019? :slight_smile:

Hmmm… Did you find my divorce attorney yet? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Is Pinmaster next year end of March?

Back to the issue at hand. :slight_smile:

You can’t make direct comparisons like this – there are too many factors that affect rating changes other than a raw win-loss number on a given day.

• Elwin’s rating/rd on the day in question
  • The rating/rd of his opponents on the day in question
  • Which opponents he won against versus which he lost to. Going 16-4 beating a player rated 1800 is very different than going 16-4 against a player rated 1200

Elwin was severely underrated going into the IL SCS tournament and his opponents were highly rated. I was not surprised to see a 60 point jump. Elwin is still underrated and you can expect to see him jump significantly if he plays highly rated players and win.

3 Likes

We should find a 2-for-1 sale . . . I’m definitely in for half.

1 Like

We’re waiting to see how Flipperspiel’s new space comes together before we can commit to anything.

One thing is for sure, and that’s the Amusement Expo dates are locked:

http://amusementexpo.org/2018/Public/Enter.aspx

Assuming we find a way to make Flipperspiel work again, the schedule would be:

Women’s/North American Championship → Thursday March 28th
Pin-Masters → Friday-Sunday March 29th-31st

If we can’t make that work, then we’re most likely bringing all of this madness to Chicago, where I’m closer to my divorce attorney.

1 Like

Creating challenge matches is now quite a bit simpler. When selecting your opponent you’ll now see a list of your recent opponents so you can get that rematch going quickly. You can also search for people by name.

3 Likes

Took advantage of this feature during Pin-a-Lodi. Very nice Andreas. Now all we need is the ability to add more than one opponent to a challenge. If only there were a place to suggest such a thing…

Challenge matches are by their definition one-to-one affairs. The fact that both the challenger and the opponent has to approve of the match makes it difficult to automatically create matches for e.g. a group of four players. :confused:

I will be doing these a lot more now. Haha

2 Likes

Thanks for adding this feature. I’ve been trying to do more challenge matches with people who’ve never tried them before after events, and I suspect it’ll be a lot easier to explain now.

1 Like

Just start a matchplay tournament, they affect matchplay ratings

3 Likes