MP Ratings / Challenge Matches Open Thread

I seem to remember there being a rule about not repeating games if the venue allows, have I got that right? Also, does loser choose game like at SCS? And who chooses 1st game, higher rated? Thanks for your help!

You have it 100% correct!

1 Like

Question about MP challenge matches and how they affect rating…

Is the rating of the players only affected by the outcome, or is it based on the individual wins and losses within the match? In poking around a bit, I’m under the impression that it’s the latter, which came as a surprise.

You are correct that each individual result is counted. If you play best of seven and go to seven matches, the winner will receive 4 wins and 3 losses.

Same goes for Challonge brackets if the data is available (relevant for SCS brackets).

1 Like

Is the TVA rating calculation (for tournament value) done using IFPA rating or Matchplay rating for tournaments that are run after 1st Jan 2018? Right now these does not seem to be the same, and since the announcement mentioned that IFPA would use the Matchplay ratings I was wondering if this is still on the to-do list, or if it’s not planned at all?

Will the challenge matches only affect matchplay ratings until (if it’s still pending) the ratings are used in the IFPA system? Or are these challenges not counted in terms or future IFPA tournaments currently, but might be in the future?

I’d like to implement these challenge matches in some way during our game nights and just wanted to be clear what they would do to your status in the pinball ratings world :slight_smile:

There are steps involved in this process. Implementing a system right away where Keith Elwin is ranked 1463rd doesn’t make sense to me at this point.

The hope is that we’re able to drive people during 2018 to register for MatchPlay and start playing. We’re also trying to encourage IFPA sanctioned TD’s to submit their finals results through MatchPlay (or one of the other formats where @haugstrup can pull in that data.

During this time @Shep and @haugstrup can talk to eachother about how to pull that data over to the IFPA player accounts. From there we can list the MP Rating as one of the “official metrics”, include it in the profile page for each player, etc.

After that point we can begin discussing if/how MP Ratings can be integrated into the TVA process of the event calculation. Because this would change “every result for all of time” (formula change), we only have the chance to do this at the beginning of the year.

I think the best catch up data left for @haugstrup is to make DTM and PAPA software compatible with MatchPlay, that should put Keith up much higher :slight_smile:

PAPA Scoring Software is 99% there. It was good enough for me to force in the Pinburgh finals from 2017: https://matchplay.events/live/rating-periods/576 – it’s pretty much the only Elwin result in the database though.

I had results from regular Pinburgh rounds in 2016 and 2017, but had to remove them again because something was breaking (it’s a fickle import). They’ll make a return shortly.

We’re almost there with DTM imports. Just need to talk about how to import the backlog of old results in the cleanest way. I’ll be following up with @kdeangelo soon. I didn’t want to bother him while he was trying to organize INDISC :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s done on the Match Play side, but I think Shepherd has been tied up with some IFPA $$$ prestige project these past months… :wink:

At this point things are implemented, we’re just busy thinking about where we’re gonna spend ALL THIS MONEY!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyone opposed to me putting it all “on black” out in Vegas? We could double the prize pool for every state. What could go wrong?!?

2 Likes

I hear you should minimum bet the first time, then bet it all. Always goes lose, win, etc

6 Likes

Should be on red

2 Likes

Tried to submit the challonge for the RI SCS. Gave an error that there were fewer than two players.

http://challonge.com/ri2018scs

@bondorew Whoops, that was my mistake. Try again! Sorry about that!

INDISC 2018 results are now included in Match Play Ratings. @kdeangelo is working on shoving results from previous tournaments using DTM in there so Elwin can be placed at a rank that @pinwizj finds acceptable. Elwin is currently ranked worse than Josh so something definitely needs to happen.

5 Likes

:smiley:

Hey Andreas, is there any way for me as the TD or a Scorekeeper to attach a picture to another competitor’s scores? In the regional league we have a few people who would rather send me a text or e-mail with their scores, and I’d like to be able to attach it to their entry so people have easy visibility into other people’s entries. I may just be missing something obvious, but I don’t see a way to do that.

If it’s not a current feature I’m happy to add it to UserVoice.

This is probably better suited for the Match Play Open thread and not the ratings thread :slight_smile:

There’s no way for a scorekeeper/TD to add a photo to a score. It was an oversight when I rushed to support selfie leagues. Place your vote here: https://matchplay.uservoice.com/forums/595996-general/suggestions/19095379-allow-scorekeepers-to-approve-submitted-results-an

Apologies! Saw “MP”, “Open Thread”; made a post. Will read more carefully next time.

1 Like

I should stop pasting links to specific feedback suggestions. There’s always a rush of votes artificially inflating the count. :wink: