Mobile Camera Rig: Plans and Materials

I use these two types a lot. Work great for cameras, lights, etc.

R094 Super Clamp Multi-Functional… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CTJHV8Q?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Smatree Adjustable Jaws Flex… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MWNYGUS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Picked up a couple new LED panels for mobile rig.

Pretty nice and run off a USB-C power source. Quite a bit bigger than my old Viltrox L-116T.

2 Likes

These look awesome!

Do you have a review? They look really nice on paper.

Haven’t gotten to use them much yet, this weekend hopefully. But just quickly, I really like the diffusion panel, it’s very soft and I don’t notice any bright spots where the leds are, the build seems nice and they’re a good medium size panel that should fit nicely on a rig. The vertical and horizontal mounting options are nice too. I need to do some power draw tests for practical time off battery banks and such but I’m guessing you’d get a good amount.

I’m really interested in the performance on these. Quite the surface and an “instant beauty” button is just what these old farts need! :slight_smile: 15W draw is a bit of a hog but I bet these perform adequately at 50% brightness when on battery. The amazon reviews praise the diffusion and I’ll hail that vertical mount option too for more range/options for positioning.

The Viltrox L-116T is what I have stacks of and they run fine on USB-PD too for the folks who wonders, you just need the USB-PD to DC barrel cable.

1 Like

Hoping this is the right spot for this…

I’ve been telling myself that streaming isn’t really practical at my arcade because of the layout. I’ve only done wired streaming at one game before, but am familiar with the mobile rigs used at tournaments from experiences watching, commentating, and embarrassing exits from tournaments as a player.

My assumption has been that a mobile rig would need a direct line of sight to command central.

Here is a pic of the layout of my arcade:

Most of the inner walls are lath and plaster, and some brick. The X toward the center of the pic is where my current router is. The other X in the room on the lower right is GOTG, which barely gets enough signal to use insider connected. I have a dozen IC games, but the others are closer to the router. It took me an entire afternoon of testing different router locations and moving games around to find a configuration that worked without cramming all the modern sterns into the same room.

Also, there is another level below this one, with more games and a much more open layout. The floor is wood throughout, and the ceiling below isn’t finished, so it’s just exposed joists and the wood floor itself between the levels.

Ideally, I would like to be able to stream events and have coverage for every machine. I’m not even sure how partial it is for just the main level. Is this possible with two mobile rigs (one on each level)? I’ve had lots of suggestions from tech friends, but none of them have done live streaming from a mobile rig, so I’m skeptical of their ideas.

There are no hardwired Ethernet connections in the building.

A lot of my motivation for this is to be able to be considered as a host for something like Pinmasters, NACS, or IFPA worlds, which would require an a broadcasting setup (among other things).

Ideally, the broadcast booth would be on the lower level, but it wouldn’t have to be.

If two level coverage isn’t possible, what is the fix? Two different streams? If two aren’t possible, I would still like to hear ideas for coverage of just the level in the above picture, which is where the majority of the games are.

I can’t say there is an unlimited budget, but I would be comfortable spending well into four figures on the setup. Even so, I’d still be curious to hear solutions even if they exceed that amount.

1 Like

The Accsoon Cineview He says it does wireless HDMI over 1200 ft without line of sight. I can’t confirm the 1200 ft but I can confirm it works just fine through walls. At my house the games are all in the garage or basement and my computer is upstairs and it connects and transmits just fine.

I’m running one of those connected to a Monoproce Blackbird 4x1 multiviewer that takes up to 4 HDMI inputs and transmits them as a single HDMI feed so that I only need 1 Cineview because they are not cheap.

2 Likes

Second those accsoon ones for through walls. They are the only ones tested and confirms through walls for pinball stuff.

1 Like

You can add something as a relay to get the wireless from the game back to the computer. One (possibly silly) idea would be wireless TX on rig, wireless RX then HDMI cable to TX with line of sight to RX at the computer. Presumably on different floors you would want different rigs anyway, so you are not needing to try to carry it down the stairs. As frisbez suggests, multiviewer would only need 1 wired relay.

I guess you could just run a long HDMI cable back to the computer instead of a second relay, or try getting into wired HDMI transmitters which I don’t expect anyone has experience with.

I think the Accsoons allow for one TX to be picked up by multiple RX. So you might even be able to set the rig with one TX and then position a couple receivers with long HDMI cables back to the PC and swap to the best signals in obs.

Cactus jacks was using 2 computers so one rig feed to one computer, then it pulled in the output of that from ethernet. It is going to add delay, but it works ok.

I think something is possible. It will take money and experimentation. And it still might fail with conditions change with the place full of people

I know @dri had a setup working through multiple walls at this years California State Championship. He may be able to offer good advice.

1 Like

pretty sure that is what @GeekGamerTV did for us too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the ping @rickyray. Yes, the Accsoon CineEye 2 Pro’s will handle your arcade @ryanwanger no problem at all. I run three of those in the same rig and I’ve done tests through fireproof walls with closed doors 40’ apart. The only caveat I’ve discovered with them is that the sound may become somewhat crackly/distorted at 1080p60. My solution for that is to run one source camera at 1080p30 (only the PF camera actually need 1080p60) and pull audio through that camera.

1 Like

I also second @Frisbez opinion on the multi-viewer. It’s a great choice if you’re on a budget. It requires so much less cabling and horsepower (just one single HDMI stream to work with) and the quality is great if I may say so myself. This is captured through the blackbird 4x1 (using a Black Magic Recorder on a Macbook Pro M1): Stern Pinball Jurassic Park Premium: A few lucky shots landed 500M. Streamed from Lynn's Arcade. - YouTube

1 Like

How is that set up? Does it take 4 1080P streams and turns it into 4K stream? Then in OBS you set up your zones accordingly?

Do you run 3 TX of these per rig? Or do you have 3 mobile rigs (9 cameras) with 1 RX

It looks really smooth! The laptop appears to be right next to the game, though

The Blackbird scales the input resolution and has a couple different output modes.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24740

1 Like

For those who run larger setups I’ve sweat tested 6 Accsoon TX/RX for a couple of days and not seen any issues at about 10m distance based on what I’m seeing I expect large venue LOS can easily run 6 accsoon devices without any issues. I actually think you might get away with 2 more aleast according to the bandwidth available at 5GHz - issues may occur on the 2.4G band but thats more likely used as back up

My intial 4 Accsson devices I bought are on firmware 1.11 (out of the box they came with something lower that was very instable) and 1.11 has been very reliable, we used that at the UK Open for hours on end.

I did notice on a couple of devices that I bought more recently one has 1.13 on it and the other has 1.14 on it and I’ve asked Accsoon if they have any release notes. If anyone has upgraded to these and its solved anything let me know.

1 Like

and @gammagoat

Yeah, basically we used a second PC (Laptop) to be an end point for the wireless rig and then sent the complete video setup (the 3 shots/layout/etc) via NDI back to the main broadcast area via CAT 5e (Network).

The setup for the NWPC is the most unique :slight_smile:

This year for the NWPC, I plan on having a bit of a behind the scenes video to show the setup for those who are interested.

3 Likes

This multi-viewer takes 4 x 1080p60 streams and render into a few different layouts but it comes out as a single 1080p60 from the multi-viewer. There are 4kp60 multi-viewers that would gobble the 4 x 1080p60 without loss but it gets expensive on the capture side and you basically need PCIe to grab that video.

I’m mixing apples and oranges here a bit. The Accsoons I have in a different rig. It’s just three RX/TX pairs. The latest games I streamed with the Accsoon setup you can find here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adAwQ-4iAM0&list=PL-eIxuLeDsB3wgdibBTZiFU9xYg31UUMN

Bear in mind that the stutter and lag that occurs is because this venue has very poor and unreliable Internet.

Yes, this video is wired laptop to the mulit-viwer and not using the Accsoon’s.

So I got a reply from accsoon the latest version for accsoon HE is 1.18 which supports 720p and has a lot of fixes in it. (meaning I think it will broadcast HDMI out of a stern game with the LVDS convertor now). I’m going to upgrade one of my sets to test it and will report back.

2 Likes