Match Play Events: The Next Generation

If you’ve closed the round, no. Only option at that point is to create a new tournament and delete this one. Clicking the “close round” button is you saying “I’ve double-checked these results and am happy”

You can do as you wish. Some tournament formats require you to close a round before the next one can be started. Swiss tournaments and knockout tournaments are two popular examples of tournaments where you must close one round before starting the next because the player pairings or player availability in one round is affected by the results of previous rounds.

2 Likes

No worries. Ram some test tournaments and I see this is the only way to call up the scores. Shouldn’t be too bad since we only care about the best score. We will just call out the current high score and just have folks tell me when they beat it.

I used Next Matchplay for our ECC best games tourney, best 2 scores per machines counting and it worked well. It does take a few more clicks around the UI compare to the dedicated DTM scorekeeper interface for those used to that but once you get the logic down it worked great.

Okay it is a training issue then, I will mess around with it in test and see if I can make it work, I only use best game for launch parties so no big deal…

1 Like

Quick manual route: put a clipboard & scoresheet and and make everyone write down their scores OR only make them write down their score if it’s better than the best (like they do at golf tournaments for closest-to-the-hole on par 3s).

Digital route that would be harder to hack together but the scores are available in the original MatchPlay API, and I use that for a hacked PHP page tailored very specifically for our best game league that actually uses 4-player MatchPlay for group pairings.

I tried to see if I could get something working quickly but I don’t think I can do it before the start of your event since my original code only assumes a single 4-game round.

Bottom line is that it is available in the JSON call here: Match Play API Documentation

1 Like

Are we missing the obvious? Stern Insider leaderboards are setup to do this exactly. Make everyone create an insider account if they haven’t already. I checked the leaderboard for the Foo Fighters launch party at Pinball Garage (guessing that’s where you are) and so far the high score today is Spikeloo at 125M or so. Of course… no insider account, no recorded score.

Correct. We did it in matchplay. There were a handful of people that don’t even have matchplay accounts let alone an insider account. Baby steps.

@haugstrup I’ve noticed that with a Series, if you do “X Worst Results Dropped” for standings, the API includes a “points_adj” field and player “position” reflects the adjusted points total but if you do “X Best Results Kept,” the API data is the same as if you did “All Results Kept.” Is there any chance of getting this updated to be consistent with “Worst Results Dropped”?

point_adj leads me to believe you’re hitting the legacy APIs. You should switch to the new APIs. Documentation here: Match Play API Documentation

The old APIs will never be updated when new features are introduced (and may in fact start producing nonsensical data). I will remove the old APIs when I take the old MP offline. Best to start your transition today!

1 Like

Yep, that is 100% what is happening. Frankly I’m surprised I’ve made it this far! Thanks.

1 Like

Has anyone had any issues with next not working on older iPads? The league has an iPad we use with the old version but doesn’t work worth the new version. I can get to the landing page but when I hit “Launch Match Play!” I get a white screen.

iOS 12.5.4. I ever tried download Chrome and get the same thing.

1 Like

I think you’re out of luck

What @ectobar says is still true. The choice is between being able to maintain Match Play or keep support for very old software. I have to choose the former.

But see if your device can’t be updated to iOS 15 or iOS 16 and give that a go. It’s only if your iPad is from 2014 or older that you can’t update the software.

That’s fine. I was just asking to save myself a bunch of time trying to figure out if it was the iPad not behaving or just the fact that it was old.

@haugstrup I would be nice to receive a text message when I run out of message credits. I was receiving notifications and then they mysteriously stopped one round.

Maybe implement it by including x notification messages remaining when the player has 5 or fewer if that’s easier than sending a special text after the last one is used up.

The tournament search fails if you try to search for something with a slash in it like “Multiball Monday 2/27”. But it works if you replace the slash with %2F.

I’m doing a 64 player tournament today…after 9 rounds of qualifying, cut it down to 16 players. I’ll start a separate matchplay tourney for that.

Then I want to do 4 player groups, on a bank of 3 games, with 4-2-1-0 scoring on each game. Top two advance.

I want to keep doing slaughter pairing.

Not sure what my settings should be for this.

(And do I just manually deactivate the bottom two in each group, or is there a better way?)

It was a huge success! Thanks so much for the new format and letting some of us test it since last year. I was so excited but also anxious to run our real one.

25 players, so 300 games played total over 4.5hrs.
Originally we intended to have 10 active games (12 arenas in total) but went with using 9 and thought we could adjust after lunch if things were running too slowly but 9 was perfect. There was always 6 in waiting area and a few who had just finished their matches.
The feedback so far has been that it was more social than the flip frenzies which I thought would be the opposite!

We had 3 people who could create games and without them I think it would have slowed down. As soon as active games dropped below 9 they hit create games and sometimes it might drop to 8 or less but it was rare. As it was set as a round robin this didn’t create any issues at all.

The only tiny tiny tiny issue is the amount of ties you’re likely to get. We had two tiebreakers (top. 8 qualified for playoffs, semi, quarter and finals). But I can’t see how you can minimise ties with this format.

Matchplay
https://next.matchplay.events/tournaments/98554

Am I trailblazer for adding emojis to the game names? Added a bit of colour and humour😁

Photos if curious of the setup and vibe when you have a 25 player tournament in a small British semi detached house :rofl:

Once again thank you @haugstrup

1 Like

Yes. Much easier way to do this. Run qualifying first. Then close that tournament. Then stay in that tournament and select create playoffs.

Then select group elimination bracket, the number of players you want (16). Then it will seed them based on qualifying. Then you can tell it to do slaughter in the options, but I think that’s default.

If the scoring is different than qualifying, make sure to change that in playoffs. It will be the same as qualifying to start.

1 Like

Like @chuckwurt said, it should be group elimination bracket. If you create Finals
from Qualifying and take top 16, it should port those people over in seed order. I don’t think seeds are displayed on the big screens, but in my experience it behaves the same way as a NeverDrains final.

Just make sure that double check all settings (games, points) before starting. I messed up points for an even last month and had to clone and re-input like 8 matches to fix the problem.

1 Like