Match Play Events: The Next Generation

Hi @haugstrup , a couple of questions;

1. Is it possible to create some sort of “global” (within my account) arena banks, so I can easily reuse them for different tournaments?

2. It does not seem like I can manually assign banks to groups/matches? I can only choose arena banks to be randomly assigned. We have a format where players choose their bank based on previous seeding, and the banks option assigns these randomly, so I need to change all of the games.

3. If having max matchplay and number of rounds equal to round robin round (amount of players - 1) is it 100 % guaranteed that the system will make sure players not meet same players twice?

1 Like

Verry low chances if you have aprox same amount of games as player

This is not correct.

@drainmorten, yes it works the way you’re expecting, guaranteed.

From the docs that @misterschu linked to:

If there are exactly the right number of matches for a round robin (like 10 players, 9 matches) then a round robin will be played. Each player will play every other player exactly once.

1 Like

As a partial workaround you can adjust the number of results to drop during the season (using Next Match Play Events). Start with “No results dropped”. After the second session, change it to “Worst result dropped”. After the third session, change it to “Two worst result dropped” and leave it that way for the rest of the season. It’s not exactly what you’re looking for but it’s pretty close.

1 Like

It’s not, but it’s a feature I’ve been wanting to make for literally years. Never got many votes when I added it to the feedback forums so I never prioritized it.

That’s correct, though in the new software this would be easier for me to make than in the old system. Whenever I’ve run tournaments where people can pick banks I’ve set the arena setting to “manual” and put in the arenas one-by-one

This is 100% guaranteed (not a “low chances” situation as mentioned below). One of the goals of Max Match Play was specifically to make a replacement for the old Round Robin implementation.

You can also use Max MP to run double round robin or triple round robin or quadruple round robin tournaments (and so on). Just make sure you never check the “safety valve” checkbox when creating matches.

In the document linked above there is a section called How are players paired against each other and that’s worth reading to understand how the algorithm treats the initial set of matches (up to a round robin) and the remainder matches left over.

I propose renaming “safety valve” to “emergency valve”. Not everybody using matchplay is a native English speaker, and I guarantee there’s going to be people who will check this box every round because they think this somehow “makes it more safe”.

Just a small text change for clarity, SHOULD BE EASY TO PROGRAM.

1 Like

Sorry That was me who wrote that from my experience in test tournaments.

So if for example we have 40 Player and will do 38 Rounds. And I follow the rule after 2/3 of the rounds are done to change every round “max active games” that only games will be created for players who have minimum 1 game less than the player with max points there will be no duplicate opponent?

If you have 40 players, you should have 39 rounds to make it a 100 % round robin with no repeat opponents? This worked for us today. or, equal to 80 players and 38 rounds for a double round robin.

Of course I know. We will be 40-44 Players doing 38 rounds.
From when on you started to change"max active rounds"?

I know this is on here somewhere, but my search skills are failing me how do I setup a group matchplay 3 game final where half the field is eliminated each round?

I’ve always done my finals on paper and figured it was time to upgrade.

1 Like

I looked in this thread over the past few months and can’t find any posts…
re: can I get next.matchplay to show Standings that include the Strengh of Opponent # for each player in standings that at least shows a decimal number on how tied match point players are differentiated?

Create playoffs: Group Elimination

2 Likes

Thanks group elimination was what I was missing. I kept trying to get group matchplay to do what I wanted.

Nope.

1 Like

You’re only guaranteed a “perfect” tournament if the number of rounds is exactly one lower than the number of players. If your number of rounds is lower than that, it’s possible for a player to be left out in the cold with no opponents left. It’s definitely unlikely; that player has to be playing when the Create games button is clicked a few times. Here’s an example test tournament that demonstrates it. Everyone except for “Placeholder A” played 4 unique opponents but that “Placeholder A” player only played 2 opponents total and has no one left who can play any more games.

Even from the state that tournament is in, it’s easily fixed by making it a true round robin by increasing the Duration to 5 matches for the 6 players. Placeholder A will need to play 3 more games against the players they haven’t faced yet; and there are two other players who have played Placeholder A but haven’t played against each other yet.

I think it’s unlikely that a tournament ends up in the situation I crafted here. You can help prevent it from happening by not clicking Create games unless the player(s) who are behind in game count are in the waiting list so they have a chance to catch up to the rest of the group.

I don’t understand what you mean in the rest of your post about “follow the rule”. I think maybe you misunderstand what “max active games” does. It sounds like you’re expecting it to control which players get paired based on their number of completed games. It actually just controls how many games get created each time you click the Create games button (number created = max active games setting minus number of games in progress).

and how should the IFPA grade that if say
that payer gets buys to be even?
is the full event only graded at the number of games that low player played? (and buys are deal with somehow)

the TD is forced to add an fake player that just auto loses and is forced to pay the IFPA $1 fee for that player

That player just gets f****ed and can’t make playoffs due to no fault of there own?

The TD needs to be up front at the start an player can get an revise buy (loses vs wining)

I agree that if a player ends up in this situation there’s no good fix. I’m pointing it out to highlight that it’s important to be cautious with the Create games button and delay clicking it if some active players’ number of games completed is falling behind the rest of the players.

Pick automatic tiebreaking in a matchplay tournament and this is what you’ll get. The new version doesn’t show the tiebreaking numbers, but it does break ties the same way as the old version.

I will get some tiebreaking numbers in the interface. Just have to find the time!

1 Like

Just some feedback for TD’s using the preferred arena option to make them aware of a few things I noticed.

The software will allow you to set more than one game as preferred which is nice.

If you have a preferred arena, let’s say James Bond, and you are playing match play where you are alternating rounds between classics and moderns, when you draw games from classics, Bond will NOT be assigned even though it is a preferred arena. You will have to manually change one of the games to the preferred arena.