Match Play Events: The Next Generation

Nah, I straight up don’t have a spot in the database to put arena information for the best-of-x results

Ok, good I wasn’t just making this up. I’ll a bring pencil and paper next time (we’re making this a quarterly thing + a Seaside Sideshow). It’s a sort of weird bracket format, the games are predetermined based on the play time from qualifying (and thanks for adding sorting to the arena stats). It would be good to give the game information to the players in MP.

2 Likes

I’m getting ready to use double elimination for the first time to run our league finals and I came here with the same question. I’m sorry it’s not possible because it would be very helpful for us. We have a rule that a game can only be chosen once during the tournament, and last season someone chose the same game twice and it wasn’t found out until after the tournament and there would have been no way for the affected player to be aware of it at the time because there wasn’t a way to easily see what games had already been chosen. I was hoping Matchplay would have a way to record that so it’s public information that anyone can consult during the chaos of the tournament so that doesn’t go under the radar again… but, I guess I’ll have to find some other way or just hope it doesn’t happen again.

2 Likes

I very much want to support this feature, but it requires a more invasive restructuring of how data for these games are stored in the database. So the time investment is a little out of the ordinary and I end up doing other stuff instead

2 Likes

An ad-hoc free form field perhaps?

ALTER TABLE best-of-x
ADD note varchar(255);

Done deal!

:innocent:

2 Likes

18 posts were split to a new topic: IFPA discussion on eliminating games before finals

Spoken like a true big data expert :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Is there a way in matchplay to see the entire data of game times over all hosted tournaments at a location.

Like maybe a titles average time

I would like to be able to see the average time of each arena over a defined set of dates.

Thanks,

Mark H

1 Like

here’s an example of one of our tournaments

Quick bug report: The finals / qualifying links on the main tourney page sometimes disappear. They come back on a full page refresh, but this is the only link I’ve seen do that.

1 Like

A quick comment about accessing the broadcast views (the fullscreen and streamer elements):

• On many occasions the TD is not the streamer. For someone who’s literate in how the Internet works, it’s easy to just tell the streamer to copy the tournament ID into a previous used broadcast URL. This is not very practical and on two different occasions I had to act IT support for streamers.
  • The fullscreen broadcast view tracks whoever is logged into matchplay, the TD most likely, since that person can get the view by navigating in the UI. If the fullscreen broadcast view would run on a kiosk without anyone logged in, see previous issue.

In an ideal situation, these elements should be easily browseable by an anonymous user navigating Match Play.

3 Likes

@haugstrup
any chance the “display round… all rounds” will be available again in the drop down menu? I used it a lot while reviewing/approving results

2 Likes

I second my coworker here… we use it A LOT! :smiley:

1 Like

@MET @hisokajp It’s not coming back as it was destroying performance (to an incredible degree). Can you shoot me an email at play@matchplay.events and we can talk about what information you were getting from that view and hopefully we can find a less resource intensive way of getting you that same data.

2 Likes

I’m just here to praise @haugstrup for adding the four player Pingolf “elimination bracket”. It worked out beautifully last night! Match Play Events :pray:

2 Likes

now we just need the same TGP stats calculation that the qualifying has :smiley:

We’ve recently started streaming our tournaments and had a request from someone about whether it’s possible for us to only show first names and not full names in the Matchplay broadcast view. Their concerns were related to privacy (which I completely understand). I don’t think it’s an option currently but let me know if I’m wrong, if not consider it a feature request to have some more control over the player labels like that.

2 Likes

Their full names (if used when registering) are already on IFPA website and available through Matchplay even when not streaming. For those who have issues with this, I’m pretty sure IFPA will allow you to request via email for them to change your name to an alias… just edit the Matchplay account to match. We have at least one woman who uses her first name and middle name and leaves her last name off the IFPA and Matchplay accounts.

They allow it. We have multiple players in our league using their nick names officially in IFPA/MP. It’s more common than you think that players use a made up name playing pinball as everything is public, both MP and IFPA.

I can certainly mention the option, but it does put me in a tricky situation where it appears I’m shifting the burden of responsibility. I’m the one streaming and while yes IFPA and MP are all public data, it’s the live/realtime aspect that I think the person was taking issue with (and to be clear I’m not going to justify the merit of this person’s argument at all, just trying to see it at face value and put aside my own opinions). Simply hoping I might be able to have a solution to have more control over the display of player information, and frankly losing the last names or just having an initial would add a bit of brevity and clean up the display on some views.

2 Likes