Match Play Events Open Thread

If you go to the overview page for your tournament you can click the “Open Match Play Live” button and it’ll take you there. It’ll be https://matchplay.events/live/southern

Players can also just type in “southern” in the search box on https://matchplay.events/live/

In my experience the most efficient way of getting players to the right page is to add a Location to your tournament (and include the street address). That way players will automatically see tournament close to them when they go to Match Play Live.

(my current project is to make some of this navigation easier…)

Today’s updates:

Users are now identified as either primarily a player or an organizer. Currently the only thing this affects is where you are sent after logging in. Now MP makes sure to send players to Match Play Live and not the tournament organizing portion of MP. Hopefully this’ll cut down on confused users who end up in the wrong place.

Anyone who has created at least one tournament has been marked as an organizer. You can change your affiliation if you go to your account settings page.

Secondly, there are not much more visible buttons on the front page of https://matchplay.events/ for MP Live and the tournament app. It should be safer to just tell your players to go there without them being completely confused.

Finally, one of the most requested features: You can now delete a round if the round has no completed games. Made a mistake in the just completed round and spotted it before people started playing? You can now delete the round and your previous round will be re-open for you to adjust the results.

I’m still planning on making it possible to adjust results in a closed round, this is just a step on the way.

2 Likes

@nudgey you can now choose “Current position in tournament” for your “Player order” so players are listed as playing according to their current position. Enjoy!

1 Like

Small update: I’ve made a new group tiebreaker option by request from @echa. It will break ties by comparing the amount of first place placements and if there are still ties by comparing the amount of second place placements.

E.g. if two players are tied and one player has finishes 1st in 3 games while the other player has finished 1st in only 2 games the first player wins the tie.

Likely next up: Let players automatically subscribe to notifications (e.g. SMS) for any tournament they are playing in. No more remembering to click “send me text messages” before the tournament begins.

After that: Slack notifications as a free alternative to SMS notifications.

3 Likes

This is great! I’ve been figuring out those tiebreakers manually and it always delays the start of playoffs.

1 Like

Thank you for the improvements! :raised_hands:

1 Like

Next time you find yourself doing manual work let me know. This was a very simple enhancement. I just hadn’t thought of it myself so someone had to tell me :slight_smile:

Slack and email notifications

This weekend update brings more notification options for tournament players. Until now the only option for notifications have been text messages. These work well, but they also cost me and you money to send. And they’re only available in the US and Canada because my provider charges too much to send to most countries.

So I’ve added two completely free options: You can now choose to receive emails or Slack messages when you have a new game! Email notifications are always available. To setup Slack you need to head to Match Play Live – Login and then click on the little person in the top right and then “Manage notifications” for further instructions.

If you don’t have a Slack account you can either create a free team for your local community or I can invite you to the Match Play team. The latter will work well if you’re just trying things out. (full disclaimer: I work for Slack, which I how I figured out how to get this nice integration up and running :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

Is there some way to donate to pay for my text messages?

For US/Canadian numbers the text messages are priced so that you don’t have to donate. Just hit the button to buy however many text messages you want :slight_smile:

Hey Andreas,

Is there any reason you don’t allow to add new players or arenas in the main menu? I can only add them in a (planned) tournament. The main menu would be the perfect place to so. Adding them in a tournament is a nice to have option, if you get additional machines.

I have to admit I reloaded the page twice on iPad, as I thought it was a limitation because of some strange mobile flag the browser is sending you :wink:

Thanks,
Mario.

It’s on the way! I ran out of time when I was making the global areas for players/arenas/locations/etc. I always meant to make it possible to add stuff there. I’ll get it added sooner rather than later!

Trying to set up Slack integration. Should the verification code turn up right away? If so, something is not working. No code for me, neither in Slack or by email.

@haugstrup.

I’m trying to go to match play live for my tournament. Blind Squirrel February Monthly Tournament, but it will not work.

I get this message

502 Bad Gateway

nginx/1.8.0.

Just a heads up! Thank you

Edit
It looks like all of match play live is down. The admin side seems fine.

Sorry about that! I had to run a quick update and figured early in the morning would be best. Be back in 3 minutes!

1 Like

Hey @omo! I see what happened. You entered your email address as your Slack username. These are actually different things. Your Slack username begins with an @-sign. You can find it if you open Slack and go to your profile (click name in top left, then click “View profile & account”).

So the steps are:

• Remove Slack integration from your Match Play account
  • Add it back in, but use your username that begins with an @-sign
  • A verification link will show up immediately in Slack or something went wrong (email me at play@matchplay.events in that case)

Finally: I have added an error message so you’ll get a nice notice if you attempt to use your email address in the future. Thank you for uncovering this confusing distinction!

1 Like

…and we’re back! Thank you for holding :slight_smile:

1 Like

No problem! Thank you for the quick reply. I was just curious about our standings as I was entering scores. Thanks again!

Through the magic of the internet… Alex, how did you score 705M on WOF?:imp:

Well then. I have to say thank you because that’s a total typo. I think that’s a World Cup soccer or game of thrones game. Thanks for pointing that out Chris! I wish I could reach that point in that game…