Match Play Events Open Thread

More an FYI since at least two other TDs as well as myself have asked (and @haugstrup is adding in this great feature!), but doing series where not every event counts will be supported in the future. This is great for folks doing series where someone doesn’t have to be at every event (e.g. drop your lowest score so if you have a monthly submittted as one result to IFPA you can let the top three scores count since not everyone can always make every event). Our league does this too and I think a lot of folks like this format.

As an aside, in this format, will the 5.2 wpprs count all the games of a series, even if the winner only shows up say 2 out of 3 times?

I would assume that if only the scores from two events count towards final standings, then only two events worth of games count (no matter how many times the winner attends).

that would make sense but if the formats vary i wonder how that’ll be calculated? I would assume the least amount of games?

For the last update in 2015 it’s now possible to decide how many strikes to award three-player groups in a group knockout tournament. When you create your tournament you can decide if you want to hand out two strikes (The One True Path) or only one strike (if you live in Ohio) :wink:

Enjoy!

4 Likes

The first updates in 2016 includes:

• Tournament series: Allow players to drop some of their results. E.g. if you have a series of 5 tournaments but you want to let players drop their worst result you can now do that. Look for the option when you create your series
  • Arena categories: I added generic “A” through “E” categories for those who need more categories
  • TDs can now adjust points for a player in head-to-head and group match play tournaments. It’s under the “Players” tab (same place where you adjust strikes in knockout tournaments). If you record a result wrong you can now at least adjust the points so swiss pairings will be done correctly from that point in etc.
  • In the same go if you adjust strikes in a knockout tournament your swiss pairings should now be done correctly (i.e. the strike adjustment is taken into account when pairings are done)
3 Likes

Is there (or will there be a way in the future) to set group match play for 3-player groups, not 4?

There is no way at the moment. There will be in the future, but I can’t say anything about how far into the future :slight_smile:

This morning’s update: There’s a new configuration option for Best Game tournaments. You can now limit the overall number of attempts per player.

Previously it was only possible to limit the number of attempts per arena (e.g. each player may only play each game twice). Now you can also limit the total amount of attempts (e.g. each player may only play 10 games total, no matter which arenas are played).

4 Likes

Well done. Thanks

Small update but it’s been a popular request: You can now delete test tournaments. Hit the “delete” link, confirm and your tournament will be deleted.

I know some of you have a ton of test tournaments. Hopefully this’ll allow you to clean your tournament list a bit :slightly_smiling:

4 Likes

ha i was gonna bug you about that at league tomorrow :slight_smile:

1 Like

This totally made my night!

1 Like

Ahh it’s satisfying to have the “completed” list all cleaned up. Thanks!

4 Likes

How does the original seed player order work in group matchplay? I have random first round seed, balanced pairing, and original seed player order.

In round two, some of the player orders are out of whack. My understanding is that it should go from bottom to top seed, however I see things like this:

1. Player w/ 1pt
  2. Player w/ 5 pts
  3. Player w/ 5 pts
  4. Player w/ 3 pts

Is this a bug or is there some background logic that I do not understand?

What are you trying to accomplish? I.e. in what order would you like for players to play?

Random first round seed combined with a player order of “original seed” won’t mix well. Or at least it’ll probably be very confusing. Behind the scenes MP will assign a seeding to each player. When you have random first round seeding enabled that initial seed will just be the order you added your players.

Here’s when the unexpected events starts happening:

For the pairing of players the seeds are ignored and everyone is randomized. Great! You get random player pairings. However these new random seeds are not stored in the database (because there’s no reason and it would be difficult)

So when it comes to determining the player order the initial seeds from the database are used. So players will just be listed in whatever order you added them to the tournament. Thus: Confusion!

What I’m guessing your goal is: To have players listed to play in the order of their current position in the tournament? I.e. top dog as player 1; current last place as player 4. If that’s what you want it’s not currently possible (but it’s on my list of improvements to make!). You best option for now is to pick “balanced” as the player order. That way each player will play each position a roughly equal amount of times.

You got it–I want the players listed in order of their current ranking. We can work around it since we have the tallies but I was hoping for an automated solution.

PS - Thank you for creating this! Even with the minor hiccups, it’s an incredibly useful software/site. It’s my first time running a tournament and I’m really excited to use it.

Hi Andreas, great site! @haugstrup

Not sure if this question has been covered before but I was wondering how tiebreaker points are calculated. I feel like I’ve been burned by them a few times, but I don’t really have the evidence to back this up.

https://matchplay.events/live/0eyz/matches?round_id=5842 Last night Howard beat me on tiebreaker points after I choked on transformers, but leading up to that game I had a pretty good lead over the field. The host has been using the tiebreaker results for final results and there are no playoffs after the last round of match play. Maybe this isn’t your intention, or maybe it is.

The previous match play software that we used would calculate fractions of points that would be added or subtracted to your score based on the division you competed in. This only applied from round 2 onward, but gave a strong incentive not to sandbag, and to stay in the higher groups in case it came down to a tie, which often happens in the middle of the field. The tiebreaker points in your software do not seem to work in the same way, but I think we are still assuming they do.

Anyhow, since this lost me some $ last night I’m wondering if I can strategize to increase my tiebreaker points, or if this is not your intention and I should tell the TO not to use these for this purpose.

For head-to-head tournaments the tiebreaker scores are first the Median-Buchholz number, the second is the Solkoff number: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tie-breaking_in_Swiss-system_tournaments

With one caveat: Unplayed games by an opponent count for 0 rather than half a point because I haven’t had time to implement a change.

The short story is: Whoever has played the tougher opponents will have better tiebreaker scores. So you have the same incentive not to sandbag.

Whether or not to use the tiebreaker numbers for final standings is really up to the tournament director. I don’t really have an opinion on the matter. Using the automatic tiebreaker numbers can save a ton of time if ending the tournament in a predictable amount of time. The fewer rounds you play the less useful the numbers are. It’s really a judgement call from the TD what he or she wants to do.

For group play the tiebreaker scores are different and a little more… experimental. The tiebreaker number is an average of averages on your opponents’ points. I don’t know how great of an indicator of strength it really is. I would personally probably not use them to determine final standings with only six rounds of play (and especially not a tie for first place!), but you folks are def. not the only people playing that way. Each TD has their own way of doing things.

1 Like

Maybe a dumb question but I can’t seem to figure it out. How does the vanity url work? For instance, if the vanity name I use is “southern”, what is the exact web address that I give to the players so they can access live results online?