Match Play Events Open Thread

Small Monday update for Best Game tournaments:

• Deactivated arenas no longer show up in Match Play Live confusing players
  • You can add scores without having to queue up players first. In the scorekeeper simply go to the “Scores” tab and click the “Add score…” button to pick a player and enter a score. Hopefully this’ll make it easier for tournament directors who don’t need the queue feature.
3 Likes

thanks Andreas - makes me want to run more tourneys to take advantage of some of these features!

1 Like

And one more since I had some time tonight:

You can now add a batch of players in one go using IFPA numbers. Click to the “Batch add by IFPA #” tab where you can type or paste in a list of IFPA numbers. Players will then be added to the tournament without you having to click a button for each IFPA number.

Great for tournaments that prepare a list of players ahead of time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Andreas: Is there a way to assign categories to each Arena? For instance, if I wanted to assign the category of Modern DMD to all modern DMD’s, assign the category of EM to all the EM’s, etc.

That way, for each round (assuming enough of each category of pin), we could alternate between a round of DMD, then a round of EM, a round of early SS, etc.

The sloppy way to do this is to Activate/Deactivate each pin for each round (only leaving the EM’s Active for a round where we want to play all EM’s).

Some other categories could be duration of play (Long, Medium, Short).

+1. I haven’t asked for this on account of feeling like I make enough feature requests as is, but since someone else brought it up…I would find this very useful for some events I’m planning for 2016. :smile:

Never mind. Figured out my issue. Removed post

@Snailman and @echa are there other things you’d like to use these arena “properties” for? I hear a wish for alternating arenas between rounds (or maybe just being able to activate/deactivate arenas based on their properties.

I was thinking it would be nice to force different arenas when playing more than one game per round. E.g. if you are playing 3 games per round each game must be an arena from different categories.

What else would you use these properties for? I want to add this kind of feature but I have a very poor overview of how people want to use them (the biggest technical question is whether or not an arena can be in multiple categories for the same tournament)

Yes, this might be nice, too, for a mixed-era multi-pin Pinburgh-like round. The issue I’m trying to address is to have movement between player groups more frequently than once every four games. But I would definitely like to try a Group Match Play with 3, or maybe just 2 pins per round, while forcing the two pins to be from different eras.

Is there a way to edit or delete Arenas in a tourney? (not just deactivate them – I want to completely remove them from the tourney list)

For edit, I’d like to be able to add a Category to existing Arenas.

You can’t delete arenas completely from a tournament. Partly because it would break many things if you delete an arena that has received plays, partly because I haven’t been wanting to write code that checks if an arena is safe for deletion :slight_smile:

To add a category to an existing arena:

• Go to your dashboard (the page with your list of tournaments)
  • Click the “Arenas” tab. This is your global list of arenas. It contains all arenas you’ve ever used
  • Click the “Edit” button
  • Now you can add a category to that arena

Hi! Im new here on this forums and happened to get over this thread by googling. I sent an email to the admin of matchplay but so others may see, ill post it here too, and also because it would be great to use matchplay this week, but if so I have to set it up in around 7 hours hehe.

We are having a two day pinball event this weekend, with a best game-tournament spanning friday and saturday.
That means people can play their two games either friday, saturday or spread it across both.

I noticed that in the matchplay setup, you have to add all players before starting the tournament. This will not work for us, as we have to start it on friday, and then add players and scores as they come and play. Some will arrive on saturday, and then register and start playing.

is there a way to support this in the current version of Matchplay app?

Kind regards,
Morten

Yes you can add players after you start - it’s not a big deal. Just add them after you start the tourney. For Best Game it won’t mess anything up as I used it for the GoT Launch party here in SF: https://matchplay.events/live/xre7

Aaah awesome, thanks! :smile:I got confused by the “Your tournament has already started. Any players added now will only be included in future rounds, not the current round.” message.

This is an awesome app!

Hmmm When choosing Best Game, and two attempts and both count, is that handled as game1 score + game 2 score, and the combined score gives the total score on that machine?

I tested a small number of players with two scores on same machine and this seems wrong:

1 Magnus Bakken 100 55,000,000
2 Morten Søbyskogen 90 52,000,000
3 Magnus Bakken 85 50,000,000
4 Morten Søbyskogen 84 50,000,000
5 Ole Kristian Lien 83 40,000,000
6 Sandra Søbyskogen 82 40,000,000
7 Sandra Søbyskogen 81 12,000,000
8 Ole Kristian Lien 80 10,000,000

Magnus should have one combined score of 105.000.000,
and Morten 102.000.000 etc, and this score should give position on each machine.
If this is not a bug (im sure it isnt), is there currently any way to achieve what I mentioned?

If there are multiple attempt the scores will not be combined. Each score will be individually ranked and the ranking points are combined. In your case Magnus will have 185 points (100 + 85).

This is one of those cases where half the tournament directors want one thing, half want the other. I had to go with one of them. :slight_smile:

I don’t know if it’s a US versus Europe thing. I’m definitely seeing more tournaments over here where results are individually ranked. Is it the other way in Europe?

1 Like

Alright @Snailman and @echa version one is out in the wild:

When you start a new round you can restrict arenas drawn to a specific category. And when you draw arena for a specific game you can do the same. I had to combine the “draw arena” and “pick arena” buttons into one button so now there’s just one button that handles both automatically drawing an arena and manually picking a specific arena. Probably simpler that way for everybody.

Let me know if this isn’t what you were looking for :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is awesome, thank you @haugstrup! I look forward to trying it out soon.

This is great! I ran a test and it worked fine.
I’ll try it for real tomorrow at Bat City Open

Andreas:
Some additional ideas to put in the queue:

• the ability to see the cumulative in-progress score totals during finals rounds. So if finals are done with game 2 of 3, you could see the cumulative scores through two games. This wasn’t shown anywhere that I could see.

• Second: the ability to create a B Division finals once you “Close” the qualifying tourney.

2 Likes

+1 to both of these. I forgot how much of a pain it is to create a separate B-Division finals.