Match Play Events Open Thread

If you enable player suggested results, players can suggest results from their own phones. Then they only have to scroll through their own games to enter results. You’d have the same problems with arena selection still – not sure why any of the workarounds I suggested won’t work :man_shrugging:

You can submit any tournament into the ratings system. All you need is:

There is not a way for people to mass-submit results to a tournament created on Match Play. It’s not really how anyone uses the software :slight_smile:

Looking through my original question I probably was a bit vague, it was not ‘game’ choice that was the issue, but rather finding the ‘match’ in the rounds list… sorry about that :slight_smile:
I’ll look through the documentation to see if we can make it work, thanks :slight_smile:

We’ve been running many of these Flip Frenzy tournaments over in Australia for 2 years now. It is one of the most popular formats because you play lots of pinball, beginners play the most games and they are involved all the way to the end of the tournament, and it finishes in 3 hours with a high TGP so great for week nights. There is no need to add software support for the queue, just scoring. The queue handles itself.

I will need to implement the queue because it will make it much faster to enter results (no need to find player names in a list) and it’ll make it possible for players to submit their own results (also making things faster)

1 Like

@onetaste how do you think Australians would feel about this queueing rule used by @coreyhulse? It’s what I’m planning on implementing since it’s so much easier to understand than any other Flip Frenzy queueing rule I’ve heard of.

We made a change that instead of winner-leaves-except-in-specific-cases, we said you’re going to always play two games on a machine. P1 becomes P2, and P2 leaves the game. New person who comes onto the game is P1. It worked a LOT smoother as people always knew they were playing two games on each machine.

Full post: Pinball! Pinball! Pinball! Tournament report and format discussion - #34 by coreyhulse

4 Likes

Create playoffs before qualifying tournament is done

Based on suggestions in the feedback forums I’ve adjusted how the “create playoffs” page works.

You can now create the playoffs tournament ahead of time. No more worrying that you got the tournament configuration correct since you can do it all ahead of time instead of scrambling last minute.

You can also choose between a number of different formats (like group elimination/PAPA finals or a ladder bracket) and MP will create a playoffs tournament with some sensible defaults.

I also added “group match play” to that page to make it clear that it’s the best way to handle a four-player final.

Return the the “create playoffs” page after your completed the qualifying tournament to pull players into the playoffs (as you’re used to).

8 Likes

When creating playoffs, can they be “part of a series” or is it still better to not choose that option?

@JimiWolf you should 100% not add the playoff tournament to the series. I will (eventually) add a different option where you can create a playoff for an entire series

1 Like

Might have been answered before, but playing group play 4-player games (3-2-1-0 scoring) and one group is 3-player the live output shows 3-2-0 scoring, but in the standings it is calculated as 3-1.5-0…

Example: (Test tournament) matchplay.events/live/gb5yg (Player is ranked as 5th in the standings with 12.5 points.)

Which one is correct ? to me it probably does not matter, but would be good to know when I write the rules (regarding scoring) for the tournament :slight_smile:

1 Like

What’re you talking about everything looks great to me :wink:

(there was a problem, I fixed it just now)

When displaying the table of match results the points (1.5) were being rounded to remove the decimals. That’s was wrong. So now they’re not being rounded for display and all is well in the world.

Thanks for letting me know!

Makes total sense now… Thanks! :slight_smile:

(just fyi…it still shows rounded up (2 not 1.5) in the projector view)

:man_facepalming: I’m going to be rebuilding that projector view really soon now. It’s so janky :cry:

4 Likes

We were using the broadcast link for streaming and we couldn’t get it to shrink. If we adjusted the size of it, it got all messed up. Ideas? We were using xsplit

Ah yes, it’s locked to that size to make it easier to embed. If it was fluid you’d be juggling the size of your browser window to get just the right size every time. I’m open to any and all ideas on how to improve but I know 0% about streaming and embedding so I need your help

So when you made that, what determines its size? Just make that smaller? :smirk:

Jk. I have no idea how that works. I’ll play around with it and se if there is a work around.

I either made it the same size @kdeangelo’s was at the time or I made it whatever size the City Champ broadcast people requested. I don’t remember which :slight_smile:

1 Like

Put it in a browser window then region-capture that window in Xsplit. Should be able to shrink it then.

1 Like

Group Bracket - PAPA Scoring - Bracket Size 8

When you complete Round 1 and start Round 2, it doesn’t appear you can go back and adjust Round 1?

not after you started the next round unless you haven’t entered any results - then you can delete round 2 and go back to round 1 i think and adjust things. you can also adjust points if you can’t go back. I think that’s under the Players tab

1 Like

What Gene said. You can go back if there are no results in round two. If you’ve entered a couple, just delete those results, then delete round two, then round 1 will reopen.

1 Like