Match Play Events Open Thread

Shh, don’t tell him and you’ll be fine! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Josh made a critical mistake: In having all state finals happen on the same day he can’t visit each state and make sure the rules are followed!

Ran another group knockout format tonight at our “Weekly Wizard” tournament. The vibe seemed to be a little better than with our usual head-to-head knockouts, which seems to be the norm for group formats. The only complaint was again the 3 player groups giving the bottom 2 players a strike. With 21 players, that meant 3 straight rounds of brutality for the 9 players at the bottom.

Might be nice if in that situation (player count is a multiple of 4 plus 1 player), one player gets a bye, and everyone else plays in 4-person groups. In the instance where there is a multiple of 4 plus 2 players, have a 2-player group at the bottom.

I have no idea how difficult something like this would be to implement, but from the feedback I’ve received, the 3-player group thing is really the only complaint. I know that I could kind of solve this problem if I didn’t use swiss seeding, but with 21 players this event already went about 3 hours, which is about the maximum I think regular attendees should expect to commit to this weekly.

Thanks for your time! One nice thing was that I was able to run our “Weekly Lizard” (2 round matchplay tourney for people knocked out before round 5) in a separate tab on my iPad, and all ran quite smoothly. The Weekly Lizard contestants agreed that they’d like it to run 3 rounds in the future.

I’ll make it configurable how many strikes are awarded to three-player groups. I firmly believe that two strikes is the right amount of strikes, but other TDs are equally adamant that one strike is the right amount.

The group generation code is shared between all group tournaments so it won’t be possible for to change how many three-player groups are created. :frowning:

Being able to run multiple tournaments by just opening a new browser tab is one of my favorite features :slight_smile:

4 Likes

More an FYI since at least two other TDs as well as myself have asked (and @haugstrup is adding in this great feature!), but doing series where not every event counts will be supported in the future. This is great for folks doing series where someone doesn’t have to be at every event (e.g. drop your lowest score so if you have a monthly submittted as one result to IFPA you can let the top three scores count since not everyone can always make every event). Our league does this too and I think a lot of folks like this format.

As an aside, in this format, will the 5.2 wpprs count all the games of a series, even if the winner only shows up say 2 out of 3 times?

I would assume that if only the scores from two events count towards final standings, then only two events worth of games count (no matter how many times the winner attends).

that would make sense but if the formats vary i wonder how that’ll be calculated? I would assume the least amount of games?

For the last update in 2015 it’s now possible to decide how many strikes to award three-player groups in a group knockout tournament. When you create your tournament you can decide if you want to hand out two strikes (The One True Path) or only one strike (if you live in Ohio) :wink:

Enjoy!

4 Likes

The first updates in 2016 includes:

• Tournament series: Allow players to drop some of their results. E.g. if you have a series of 5 tournaments but you want to let players drop their worst result you can now do that. Look for the option when you create your series
  • Arena categories: I added generic “A” through “E” categories for those who need more categories
  • TDs can now adjust points for a player in head-to-head and group match play tournaments. It’s under the “Players” tab (same place where you adjust strikes in knockout tournaments). If you record a result wrong you can now at least adjust the points so swiss pairings will be done correctly from that point in etc.
  • In the same go if you adjust strikes in a knockout tournament your swiss pairings should now be done correctly (i.e. the strike adjustment is taken into account when pairings are done)
3 Likes

Is there (or will there be a way in the future) to set group match play for 3-player groups, not 4?

There is no way at the moment. There will be in the future, but I can’t say anything about how far into the future :slight_smile:

This morning’s update: There’s a new configuration option for Best Game tournaments. You can now limit the overall number of attempts per player.

Previously it was only possible to limit the number of attempts per arena (e.g. each player may only play each game twice). Now you can also limit the total amount of attempts (e.g. each player may only play 10 games total, no matter which arenas are played).

4 Likes

Well done. Thanks

Small update but it’s been a popular request: You can now delete test tournaments. Hit the “delete” link, confirm and your tournament will be deleted.

I know some of you have a ton of test tournaments. Hopefully this’ll allow you to clean your tournament list a bit :slightly_smiling:

4 Likes

ha i was gonna bug you about that at league tomorrow :slight_smile:

1 Like

This totally made my night!

1 Like

Ahh it’s satisfying to have the “completed” list all cleaned up. Thanks!

4 Likes

How does the original seed player order work in group matchplay? I have random first round seed, balanced pairing, and original seed player order.

In round two, some of the player orders are out of whack. My understanding is that it should go from bottom to top seed, however I see things like this:

1. Player w/ 1pt
  2. Player w/ 5 pts
  3. Player w/ 5 pts
  4. Player w/ 3 pts

Is this a bug or is there some background logic that I do not understand?

What are you trying to accomplish? I.e. in what order would you like for players to play?

Random first round seed combined with a player order of “original seed” won’t mix well. Or at least it’ll probably be very confusing. Behind the scenes MP will assign a seeding to each player. When you have random first round seeding enabled that initial seed will just be the order you added your players.

Here’s when the unexpected events starts happening:

For the pairing of players the seeds are ignored and everyone is randomized. Great! You get random player pairings. However these new random seeds are not stored in the database (because there’s no reason and it would be difficult)

So when it comes to determining the player order the initial seeds from the database are used. So players will just be listed in whatever order you added them to the tournament. Thus: Confusion!

What I’m guessing your goal is: To have players listed to play in the order of their current position in the tournament? I.e. top dog as player 1; current last place as player 4. If that’s what you want it’s not currently possible (but it’s on my list of improvements to make!). You best option for now is to pick “balanced” as the player order. That way each player will play each position a roughly equal amount of times.