Lists of games used in SCS

Thanks all, been busy that last couple days so just now checking back in. A few quick questions for Florida:
Jurassic Park DE or Stern?
Star Wars DE, Sega, or Stern?
Wizard the Bally from 75 or was that short for Wizard of Oz?
Also, if the Stern models are known (Pro vs. Premium) it would be helpful given the gameplay differences.

We’re up to 35 locations (which is probably enough for me to no longer have the excuse that I didn’t hear back from enough…), as follows:
Alabama
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
D.C.
Delaware
Florida
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Mississippi
Nevada
New Brunswick
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
Ohio
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Quebec
Rhode Island
Saskatchewan
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia

Edit: Forgot I had Mississippi still in an email needing to be recorded. Fixed that!

Jurassic Park and Star Wars both Stern, and Bally Wizard '75.
AC/DC was a Pro, Munsters was Premium. Not sure about any of the others I didn’t specify already.

Here are the machines from Idaho (private collection)

Included
Black Knight
Captain Fantastic
Centaur
Deadpool Pro
Dr. Dude
EarthShaker broke before event started
Flash
Flight 2000
Hollywood
Joker Poker
Judge Dredd
KISS Pro
Lost World
Metallica Pro
Monopoly
Old Chicago
Solar Fire broke before event started
Space Invaders
Space Mission
Taxi
Wizard

Not Included
Doodle Bug
Duotron
Fireball
Gilligan’s Island
Gold Ball
Jokerz
Mr & Mrs Pac-Man
Spanish Eyes
SpinOut
Triple Strike

Working away at adding identifier information on the pinball machines and it appears there is more than one Hollywood. Did Idaho use the Williams game from 1961 or the Chicago Coin game from 1976? Thanks!

Hi - Idaho used the Chicago Coin machine

Rancho question for Florida… was this Williams’ 1977 Rancho or Gottlieb’s 1966 Rancho? Thanks!

Williams

Thanks again everyone for all the help on the games for NACS. The article is now live with Pinball News: https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2020/03/01/nacs-2019-a-game-analysis/

3 Likes

I just read the article and was confused about how Williams and Bally were handled. Do those slices include all Bally Manufacturing games wrapped in with the Bally branded WMS games?

Correct. Bally equals anything with the Bally trademark (be it independent Bally or WMS games that are Bally branded). Same with Williams.

I originally planned to segregate WMS outright but it gets a bit weird (is it REALLY different than Williams, the change was more impactful for Bally… but would I confuse people treating Bally-branded titles as Williams?) so decided to just go with trademark names in all instances (same with not breaking out Gottlieb by Mylstar and Premier).

1 Like

I feel like lumping in Paragon with something like WhoDunnit makes less sense then the other way around but either way, great job with the article and taking the time compiling all the stats. I love seeing data for stuff like this.

1 Like

Great article Dennis!

an interesting breakdown would be what percentage of games were em vs early solid state vs early modern vs modern.

It would depend where those lines are drawn but I think it would give a better perspective than by manufacturer. For example, a 90s “Bally” vs a 90s “williams” compared to a 90s and 80s Bally.

Either way, great article. Thanks for sharing the analysis.

That’s the biggest one I expected to be on there, definitely…

I did plan on originally including a break-down by date range (1960-1969, 1970-1979, etc.) and just neglected to. I considered by “style” (alpha, numeric, DMD, etc.) but ruled that out (requires more explanation). I did not consider doing manufacturer by year on the grounds that I think it makes a basic article far too complex and more like a research report. But, I have all the data gathered and thus I can provide such information here for those more hardcore about such things!

So let’s see if I can embed some images in this puppy.

Here are the games by year. Modern pins (2010+) are the largest offering with 35% of the total. 1960-1969 was the worst with only three pins. Reminder, I don’t have a year assigned to every game (namely CGC versus WMS situations as not everyone told me what manufacturer version was used in their state).

Here are the manufacturer break-downs, by year range (total pin count is shown in the heading for convenience).

Maybe I’ll write a follow-up exploring the date-range manufacturers (I’m just really pressed for time lately and needed to get this finished up before I fell hopelessly behind from biting off more than I can chew), but regardless, hopefully these charts help answer some more questions ya’ll have.

5 Likes

That’s awesome, paints a much clearer picture of what machines were used. It’s crazy how few 2000-2009 machines were used, but it really illustrates how the competitive pinball community views that era of machines.

JJP at 10% in the 2010-2019 category is nice to see. I would be curious to know how these percentages compare to the general make up of location games.

Think about what are considered the best games of 2000-2009:

LOTR
Simpsons Pinball Party
Spider-Man
Iron Man

Of those, 3 out of 4 of them are known for playing LONG.

1 Like

Iron Man came out in 2010.

I would add WoF, WPT and RBION to the best of 2000-09. Also long players.

1 Like

Honorable mention (and similar long-playing concern with the mini playfield) for Family Guy/Shrek.

Was surprised to see Wonka so high on the list too… There’s none around here at all :frowning: