King of steel, stuck on closing gate ruling.

I love discussing ruling. Anyone want to make a case my ball should have been drained?

http://www.twitch.tv/iepinball/v/363097275?sr=a&t=1190s

Fully agree with ruling made. No question about it. Well done TD staff. Was in IEPinball chatroom when it happened.

1 Like

Nope. I’d argue it wasn’t actually in the outlane but rather still an inlane thanks to the gate.

1 Like

Yeah I’d put it on the flipper too.

1 Like

The correct ruling was made.

Video link isn’t taking me directly to the ruling. Can someone elaborate a little more on where the ball was stuck and what the exact ruling the TD made?

The ball shatzed up the right inlane pushing open a controlled gate. It didn’t push it open all the way and got stuck.

Ball was ruled a regular stuck ball and was put on the right flipper because it was stuck on the right side of the game.

1 Like

At about the 21 minute mark in the link

1 Like

I’ll join the consensus here. Ball was clearly in the inlane; the inlane just moved a bit.

2 Likes

Thanks, guys, nice to know when you do something right in a novel situation.

While I agree, it’s often instructive in these situations to tell us why the correct ruling was made.

2 Likes

When the gate is open, the outlane is an inlane.

3 Likes

Would it be fair to say, the spirit of the rules is that since there is no risk any kind of shaking the game would drain the ball, that would be the wrong ruling? That is, if the player wouldn’t need to worry about tilt, he could shake it loose safely without skill. Hence, the correct ruling was made?

Just playing devil’s advocate here…

The gate is in the process of closing, and you can tell that the ball moves up a bit from the gate trying to close.
It’s not fully open. How much of the gate needs to be open here? If the gate was stuck say, a third of the way open with the ball resting on top of it instead of wedged between the lane divider and the gate, is the gate still open?

Obviously the “feels correct” test says the correct ruling was made here, I just like exercising edge cases.

In any case where the ball is stuck on this gate of this game, it’s a stuck ball that goes to the flipper. Doesn’t matter how much it pushed the gate open. At least to me it doesn’t. Haha

If it was sitting on top of the gate, the gate is now an inlane/outlane divider and it would not be a stuck ball.

1 Like

So, it really depends on whether forcing the gate open leaves it open until the rollover is fired. So, if the ball had more momentum and pushed the gate open, and triggered the outlane switch, would the gate have closed before the ball fell back down the outlane?

The gate lane is a return lane when entered from below until the ball rises to a point at or above the top of the gate. At that point, the gate top becomes an inlane outlane divider. The ball had not yet risen that far, and therefor was not a potentially draining ball. That’s why I made the call I did. As Doug said, if it had become lodged on top of the gate, I would have applied the outlane-or-nudge at your own risk divider rule.

3 Likes

This can and does happen on multiple machines. It’s so mean!

And it in fact happened quite a bit on Argosy shatzing during the weekend!

1 Like