INDISC 2017!

I still don’t know how I tilted GB in the playoffs, especially when I was just beginning to start setting things up. :slight_frown:

1 Like

This is the part people were not coached on. After you enter a score, it will display a butter bar with the next player’s name, if they are standing there, let them start while you figure out what queue that last player wants to be added to. After that you are presented with a list of the queue, with all players in red. You are suppose to click the player who is going on the game. If the first player in the list is not there, you can click the second player, or third player. The first player will stay in the front of the queue until they are skipped for the third time, then they will be removed.

If the player does a void and requeue, it immediately goes to the queue screen and you should call the next player and confirm when they go on the game. This could certainly be written up nicely with pictures in a quick 1 pager for score keepers.

1 Like

This probably deserves its own thread, but to save those of you who are chomping at the bit to write up a Scorekeepers’ guide, Kevin Stone @alwysmooth already beat you to it (attached). So I’d suggest going with his, or if you want to improve on it, reach out to him and start with what he’s already got to save you some time.

Never Drains FAQ v2 (KStone).pdf (144.7 KB)

6 Likes

Note to self, everytime I think, “someone should write a concise 1 pager” I should instead think “Kevin has probably written a concise 1 pager”.

2 Likes

Note to self: Bowen was right about LiS being a bad tourney game :wink:

6 Likes

that guide is great - had a comment but I’ll post it in the appropriate thread: Scorekeeping at tourneys

I posted in the scorekeeper thread too, but I had actually forgotten I put this together last year before MAGfest and TPF. Anyone else have any suggestions, let me know and I’ll update it and put out a new version. Will probably just figure out how to put in on Google Docs and link it.

1 Like

even with the unbalanced mystery award and Warning letter being carried through player, it would have not stopped Cryss amazing game :wink:

1 Like

Thanks so much for streaming! And kudos to the commentators as well. Germain did a heck of a job on the air for example.

3 Likes

Loved watching INDISC online. Great job to the organizers of this tourney!

Just glad to be able to use @kdeangelo set up, half the fun of going back to INDISC is to see what is new in his streaming set up so I can copy it back home :smiley:

5 Likes

INSTANT. REPLAY.

4 Likes

Not just the random awards. The obvious ball saver is flashing but means nothing mode at 6:35:45 lol

https://www.twitch.tv/iepinball/v/114982021

definitely, I learnt not to trust Sega ball saver the hard way on many games of Lost World locally… it would be interesting to get backend story from Sega software on why this is so jacked up? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I really dig how you guys select unusual games for this event. Plus everything looks in super shape and fast. Very inspiring.

And the TV production thingy is getting better and better.

2 Likes

I tended to actually do better on the more unusual games I was less familiar with. Probably cause of some self-inflicted pressure to perform on a game I was more familiar with (but that’s also a factor of having to adjust to that particular machine).

2 Likes

I think with a game that you know you’ve got it in your head to go for wizard mode or create the perfect storm, whereas if you are new to it you’re perfectly content to chop wood.

2 Likes

I have this exact same experience. If I play ten games on a machine I’ve never played before, my highest score will be the first game I played. Every time.

4 Likes

INDISC was awesome. I’ll go watch the archived streams later, when I have time, as I enjoy watching these. Something I’d like to say though:

I arrived at about 5:15 PM on Saturday, and there was no signage whatsoever, and the building was totally dark. I could hear some sounds in the distance, but I was afraid I walked in through the wrong way. For next time, I’d like to request either some signage and/or lights up to the very end of the event, as I was very confused, and I wonder if other people were too.

I would’ve arrived earlier, but I traffic was horrible. I live in the San Fernando Valley, so I took the 210 to its eastern end and continued it as the I-10 to my destination, but there were jams in Pacoima, Montrose, Pasadena, Arcadia, San Dimas, Upland, Redlands, and even Yucaipa, and it ultimately took me over 3 hours to get there. Traffic was equally horrible on Friday though–I intended to go on Friday, so I left work at 6 PM and headed home to grab my stuff and do some unfinished business. It was 7:45 PM by the time I was ready, and when I realized it was 9 PM and I was still in San Dimas, I turned around because I knew there wouldn’t be enough time. It feels like the three-day weekend getaway was particularly intense this time around, and I also feel like I bore the worst of it on both days. (Was not a three-day weekend for me though. I had work as normal that Monday.)

I’m not that good, but I tend to do better on poorly-understood machines mainly because I don’t know what to aim for and will shoot for anything with blinking lights, which tends to work out. It’s when I start understanding the rules to a machine that I start deliberately planning out what I want to do, and that’s when I’m at my worst. I think I get too caught up thinking about the rules whereas I’m totally focused on aiming and shooting when I don’t know the rules.

The INDISC with Tee’d Off was the first one I ever played in, and I did decently on my first try on that one, more than the other games I played…I still don’t really know how I did it.

1 Like

Agreed. I got there Friday morning and remarked that if I hadn’t been there the last year (where I remember decent signage for Arcade Expo) it would take me a long time to figure out where to drive in, then park, then walk. FWIW, the only think that helped earlier in the day was the sunlight; there was never any signage or additional lights on in the building.

P.S. If I haven’t mentioned it, INDISC was great and I really appreciate all the work that people put into it!

3 Likes