IFPA SCS State Finals: Where are you playing on 2/11?

If I had to guess, and I’m using my Raw Thrills logic . . . a business is always close to where the President lives (for us it’s a 5 minute drive for Jarvis) . . . I’m gonna go with “Extremely convenient location for the State Rep for $200 Alex?”

3 Likes

The real problem is “state.” “State” best-anything is unfair to much of the U.S. citizenry since state boundaries were drawn without regard to population distribution. If there were “regional” best-whatevers, it would be fairer, e.g. split the country into 50 [or 60 or 100 or whatever] similar-population-sized and geographically-centered sectors. There was a prototype map of the U.S. split up this way done decades ago, recently updated. “Upper Great Plainsia,” for instance - - the Dakotas, Nebraska, eastern Montana and Wyoming, for instance, is one bloc. Upstate NY and PA are split out from NYC and Philly. CA is split into at least 4 pieces [some folks, both within and without, would prefer to see it removed entirely]. Western MA goes with CT rather than Boston. You get the idea. Sadly, it ain’t gonna happen; after all, life isn’t fair.

1 Like

hmmm

1 Like

The arrangement from what I know is between Northern California and Southern California, not between LA / SF Bay Area. I was told Folsom was chosen as a more neutral location since the vast majority of qualified players are in SF. Looks like I’m the only SoCal player coming as @Bdiv4life chickened out and registered in Nevada.

Woo. I was right. Just posted to FB that he’s working for Stern.

3 Likes

Let’s see…shorter drive, higher seeded, less heavy hitters, funner city…
Yeah, I can dig being a chicken :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

That is such a weird reason that doesn’t make any sense. I trust that 2018 will be in Bakersfield for the same reason :wink:

1 Like

I’m sure there are a multitude of reasons apart from just that. It’s not like Damien is that much closer to Folsom than nearly everyone else.

I’ll campaign for Blythe in 2018 :wink:

Let’s just all agree that big states suck for this!

2 Likes

I was honestly hoping for Baker because you need the world’s tallest thermometer to measure the heated arguments!

Amen to that.

3 Likes

You guys should all move to Delaware.

Worked out so well for you last year :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Note I didn’t say ‘easier’ :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

C’mon Johnny, what’s funner than Folsom?! There’s a state of the art prison there and, and, well, one could find lots of open space to do things that one likes. Yessir!

For the record, I hope Andreas will make the drive. I think it’ll be worth it! :slight_smile:

Andreas, tell me your favorite beverage and I will have it on hand to make your trip as comfortable as possible.

Also, I will be happy to have printed directions for anyone wishing to visit relatives or loved ones at the prison.

2 Likes

Michael, thank you so much for hosting this tournament at your place, we really appreciate it.

1 Like

The pleasure is all mine, I will do my best to make it a good experience!

3 Likes

MOre risk to be late for starting time though? Don’t forget the time different in NV :smiley:

Ohio?!?!

:wink:

1 Like

Heading to Chicago. On the bubble in Pa (I play more tournaments away from home!) so I’m going to step aside and make the journey to get my ass kicked away from home

2 Likes

Missouri struggles as well - we’ve always held SCS in the St Louis area, which is 2 hrs away from Columbia and ~4 hrs away from Springfield and Kansas City. Most of the KC people play in Kansas roughly a mile from the MO border.

I want to recognize the great work Brian Bannon does with the MO SCS - it’s a thankless job and he organizes it like clockwork.

Oh, and my rule of thumb is win where you live before branching out, so I’m playing in Missouri, looking to make it past the John Miller / Chris Basler / other good players hump for once.

1 Like