How to convince someone that their tourney idea sucks?

OK, strange question, I’ve run a league for many years and directed probably a dozen or more tourneys so I have a pretty good idea what works and doesn’t work. A local guy is hosting our SCS tourney this year for the first time, as in, first time at his location ever. He wants to host another tourney the following day. A marathon format, all 4 player matchplay, $100 entry fee, on Valentines day, Sunday the day after SCS. The format he is suggesting by my calculations would take 14-18 hours to complete. I have tried delicately steering him in the right direction, but that has not changed his mind. I would suggest a shorter format, at least a week after SCS, with a lower entry fee(($20-40). He wants me to submit this event to the IFPA calendar but as is, I just can’t get behind it.

How would you handle this situation?

I have had a similar issue with disagreement in tournament format. I usually wish them the best, support the tournament with my attendance (if possible), but leave them to do it on their own.

You can lead a horse to water, etc, etc.

You might take a shot at not-so-delicately steering him in the right direction, just in case he missed the subtlety of your original feedback.

Regardless, at the least I’d let him submit it to the calendar on his own; no reason to get yourself involved even a bit if it’s not an event you can support.

By the time we get done with the new SCS format you might just have a few hours before you start the new tournament. But agree with joe , let them post tourney and hands off .

I would just let him do whatever he wants. If he’s not listening, he’ll either crash 'n burn, or maybe he’ll succeed. Let him submit the event and results himself (not sure why he is trying to push that off on someone else anyway if he’s the TD).

2 Likes

If you can’t get behind his format, just tell him that and make him submit his event to the calendar himself. If it’s feasible for you, play in. If not, don’t.

I don’t see any purpose in going out of my way to tell someone their event is going to suck. Who cares if someone runs a bad tournament? If their plan is flawed and they haven’t been receptive to what you consider constructive criticism so far, just let them go with it. Maybe it will work out fabulously, in which case everybody wins! Maybe it will be a disaster, in which case I would go out of my way to help them think of ways to improve in the future in the nicest, least judgmental way possible.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback guys. I’ll post back after we talk with him again in a few days.

The best way to convince is to let him fail. That high of an entry fee on v day… Tough… Hopefully he’ll listen

I’ve been in that situation a few times. I’ve run a few dogs myself and some that were surprise hits. The first tournament I ran was on Superbowl weekend. Obviously I’m not a big football guy, but apparently, pinball people aren’t either and 36 people showed up.

Just see how it goes. You might be right or you might be surprised, or both.

Thanks for all the feedback. FYI, me and another guy talked with him some more and he was receptive to our ideas. The plan is to have it the week after SCS on a Saturday. Matchplay format that can be done in about 10 hours or less. $30 entry fee, but there will be a side pot of an additional $70 for those who are interested.

2 Likes