Guns 'n Roses (JJP) Rulesheet

We are really excited for playing this one here in Brazil. On april they´re finally coming.

I tried updating the wiki rules but doing it on my phone, not sure if it worked. I’ll do it from a PC when I get some time. But in short, here’s some clarifications on song level and a few of the common patch questions that get asked a lot:

• base song level is 10
• if you choose to stick with the default song you get +15 to your song level
• a songs patch appears to add +30 to your song level
• fender patch: if an active member is lit on the band frenzy revolver and you have not collected that member yet, hitting them will collect that member +1 additional for the patch.
• Vader and Duff patches automatically light Frank and Duff for your entire song on the frenzy revolver. As the patch indicates: spot Frank or spot Duff.
• all other band patches appear to award no benefit toward frenzy.

Melissa awards her tour item. As Troz pointed out, member tour items raise song value. So this patch raises song value.
axl (rose) spots axl for rest of game so no need to requalify on follow up songs
slash (Gibson) same as axl above.

I still don’t know how to rock this heckin machine, but your guide has helped me a lot! Thank you!!

Alright, so I figured I’d share my strategy to getting big points really fast here, because some of the songs score way higher than others and light more shots.

• At the start of the game, focus on getting all four of the booster multiballs active so you can qualify the locks at the guitar without risking a drain, collect jackpots, and increase the scoring for the songs. Be sure to lock all the balls you can during the multiball stack as well.
  • Also make sure to progress towards collecting patches at the start of the game by spelling GNR, or falling out of the mini-playfield on the LE. The best patches to get early on are Horn / Lights / Amp / Firecracker for the unlimited booster multiballs, and Poster / T-Shirt to decrease the Rock-It Meter flipper decay. If you’re playing for Chinese Democracy, try to collect the Mic Fuzzy patch; for Use Your Illusion I, get the Airplane patch.
  • After you have six balls locked, shoot the target right of the left ramp if you want to go for Use Your Illusion I, or the target right of the right ramp if you want to go for Chinese Democracy.
  • Both albums have a song that lights all shots to score a ton of points and add them to the Applause Jackpot - November Rain on Use Your Illusion I, and the titular song on Chinese Democracy. After these songs you’ll start either Live and Let Die on Use Your Illusion I (which has the Airplane patch), or Better on Chinese Democracy (which has the Mic Fuzzy) - both of which can also be very valuable. The last songs for both albums, Don’t Cry & This I Love respectively, are both on the slower side and can be very risky during single-ball play - but keep playing, and keep adding balls to make the final Applause Jackpot huge.
  • Remember the times each song ends so you know when to collect your Applause Jackpot at the scoop - the game will tell you, but if you know in advance, you can collect them more easily.
  • Repeat the process again, and go for the other two albums - if you can…
2 Likes

Pardon my ignorance, but how do you actually lock the balls on a standard? I can’t seem to find the answer somehow.

NM it appears to be 2 shots to the left ramp.

It is misleading for the game to proclaim “Lock is Lit” when it isn’t really lit until you make the first Left ramp.

Are there any switch-based songs other than November Rain?

It’s So Easy. Switch value increases over time. November Rain is longer though.

1 Like

Just posted on pinside. If anyone knows how to update the wiki rules, feel free.

Alright Gunner fans. This is my first draft of the Song/Album mode objectives. Keep in mind for the song modes; a lot of them have some sort of variation to them as you get deeper into the song. I captured a few of these nuances but not many as this is my first draft of the objectives - this first version is more on the core of the song objectives. Feel free to add or PM me additional details and I’ll do my best to keep this updated.

GNR Song/Album Modes
v1.00

• Album - Chinese Democracy

Album Mode - so you want to play a game:
Blue/white shots are good and will progress to complete mode. Hitting a Red/Yellow are bad will break your success streak. Get enough blue/white shots to complete. I believe the longer the streak of successful blue/white shots without hitting a red/yellow, the higher your score (and quicker the mode?) will be.

Better: 2-group shots will be lit. They will either be the left ramp + left loop, right ramp + right loop, or center spinner + inner loop. The shots will stay lit even as you hit them and will only alternate with the changes of the song. I believe this is the song that changes to only the spinning record as the main shot during the solo.

Chinese democracy: all main shots are lit and will stay lit even as you hit them. They are the left loop, fog or power chord on upper pf, inner loop, center spinner, right ramp, right loop, and under flipper. As you progress further in the song, the shots will begin to unlight as you hit them making it harder to progress.

This Love: 4 roving targets on left side of playfield (left loop + CD target + left ramp + AFD target) and 4 roving targets on right side of playfield (right loop + UYI2 target + right ramp + UYI1 target). Roving shots stay lit even when you hit them, they change position on a timed pattern to the music.
« Spoiler! Click to reveal. »

• Album - Use your illusion I:

Album mode - Desert Demolition:
Objective is to wipe out all 7 band members and win the race. Your racer (in red on display) will be in last place on the display. Whichever band member you’re next to, their shot will be lit - hit it and you will wipe them out. You can hold the action button to speed up your racer to get next to other band members. When you’re not holding the action button, your racer will slowly go back to last place again. Switch hits build your turbo meter for action button. Wipe out all 7 racers to win.

Coma:
Just about all shots are lit. Hit anyone then Coma lights, hit it, and all shots light again. Rinse + repeat through the waves. It’s a long song but I believe it may change later in the song.

Double talking Jive:
Very similar to my Michelle. 2 roving targets follow each other clockwise around the playfield but at a much slower pace than my Michelle.

November Rain:
switch frenzy that gets increasingly more difficult each wave.

Live and let die:
Wave-1: get all 4 targets which will light the center spinner for final shot.
Wave-2: get the 4 shots of 2 ramps + 2 outside loops which lights center spinner for final shot.
Wave-3: get all the 8 shots above to light center spinner for final shot
Following waves I believe are the same, good luck getting that far, short song.

Don’t Cry:
Objectives switch every other wave. 1st & 2nd wave is left ramp + 2 right targets. 3rd & 4th is right ramp + 2 left targets and so forth. Halfway through the song objectives switch to Coma, JAM, + Pyro targets. Then switches back; I believe it mixed the 3 different objectives near the end. Shots stay lit but get progressively harder near the end where made shots unlight.

• Album - Use Your Illusion II:

Album Mode - Tear down the Wall:
All 6 main shots will be lit and represent a poster on the wall (display). Each poster on the wall on the display represents a shot on the playfield which is in order from left to right. If the cannon is pointed at an undamaged poster, the shot will be red and the action button will be lit red. Hit action button to blow a hole in the poster/wall and that shot will be inactive/damaged. You must then move the cannon to the next target by spinning the slash record. If you successfully spin it to an undamaged poster, the shot will light red and so will the action button. Hit action button - rinse + repeat.
If you hit an undamaged regular lit shot that the cannon is not pointing at, you will add a scoring multiplier to that shot that can stack with consecutive shots and will increase its score when the cannon is pointed at that shot and you hit action button to blow it up.
If at anytime you hit a shot that you had blown a hole in (i.e. an unlit shot) it will relight the shot and the wall/poster for that shot will need to be blown again.
Hint: whichever direction you spin the slash record, the cannon will move that same direction (i.e. clockwise or counterclockwise). Additionally, the cannon will not move any further than the far left or right loop shot, unless you get the UYI-2 patch then the cannon can wrap around past the loop and move to the other side of the playfield. This patch is critical to complete the mode.

You could be mine:
one shot is always lit. The shot changes each wave.

Civil War: inner loop is always lit + either the right ramp, left loop, right loop, or Left ramp (alternates with song).

Estranged:
There will be 4 static shots and one roving shot always lit. Depending on where you are in the song, the pattern will be one of two methods. Typical (start) - 4 album targets always lit + roving shot on loops or ramps. Alternate: 2 loops + 2 ramps always lit + roving album target.

• Album - Appetite for Destruction

Album mode - defeat the robot:
All main shots are lit. Whichever shot you make, all other shots will go away and you can hit that same shot an addition 3 times (on a hurry up timer) to do damage. If you hit the same shot 3x or if the hurry up timer runs out, all shots will light again. During the hurry up phase you can freeze the timer with a shot under the upper flipper. Additionally, targets will be lit green - if you hit them they will build your energy. Collect enough energy to get an attack with the action button. Get robot to 0 health then hit action button to complete.

It’s so easy:
This is a shot frenzy (not switch frenzy). Every shot is lit, 10 shots complete the wave. Each shot you make will no longer be a qualified shot until you pass the wave.

MR Brownstone:
Inner spinner is lit. Hit it and it will light 2 or 3 shots. Early on the 3 shots are left loop, left ramp, and center scoop. Hit one of those shots and inner spinner will light again. Alternate until you pass the wave. Depending where you are at in the song, the lit shots after hitting inner spinner will be different.

Sweet child o’ mine:
2 loop shots lit. Hit either one and the 2 shots will switch to the ramps. These bank of two shots alternate back and forth as you hit them. The scoop will also be lit early on and periodically through song.

Welcome to the jungle:
This song is a bit of a jungle. Starts off with most the shots lit. Next wave switches to loops but when you hit one the shots switch to targets. Midway only the inner loop shot will be lit; unfortunately the right ramp detour will not divert (bug?). Then it goes back to all shots but as you make one it switches to targets, loops, ramps, then just the coma for awhile.

My Michelle: 2 hurry up roving targets move clockwise to the tempo of the song.

Out ta get me:
4 left shots will be lit (left loop + left ramp + 2 targets). It switches to the 4 right shots (right loop + right ramp + 2 targets. It switches back & forth based on where you are in the song, not after each wave (i.e. more of a timed mode).

Paradise City: x amount of pops hits will light one of the major shots. Subsequent pops hits will light more major shots. Make one of the lit shots and it will remain unlit until pops relight it. If nothing is lit, shoot the pops.

Night Train:
1/4 of song waves alternate from both ramps to 4 album targets
2/4 of song is the AXL lanes
3/4 of song is ramps
4/4 of song is AXL lanes

Rocket queen: CW + CCW moving shot. The 5 main shots (left loop, left ramp, inner spinner, right ramp, right loop) are the shots that will light for this mode. Only one song shot will be lit at a time and The song shot stays planted until you make it. It starts on the left loop and makes its way around CW until you light the scoop. On the next wave it starts on the right loop and will make its way CCW around the playfield. Each time you start a new wave it alternates the start position from left loop (CW) to right loop (CCW).

Paradise City: x amount of pops hits will light one of the major shots. Subsequent pops hits will light more major shots. Make one of the lit shots and it will remain unlit until pops relight it. If nothing is lit, shoot the pops.

3 Likes

Here’s what you hit to edit the wiki:

So, how exactly does Band Frenzy work? In some songs I can consistently get it going (Nightrain is excellent in this regard) but in others it’s way tougher. Do only lit shots count towards starting Band Frenzy?

Bumping this because I still don’t know exactly how it works…

Band Frenzy starts by collecting each band member during a song. To collect one, they have to be “active” and only one at a time will be. This is seen by their circle instrument by the flippers turning white. You can also see who is active and who is upcoming in the lower right of the main screen. You only need one keyboard collect. Once collected, their insert will light up fully in the member’s respective color.

2 Likes

Don’t forget the Fender patch, which gives you a second band member spot when you spot a band member in a song. Makes Band Frenzy easier to obtain.

I want to say from anecdotal experience that Band Frenzy’s timer also is prolonged by continually hitting shots, but I can’t confirm that since there’s no easy way to visually confirm how long Band Frenzy is supposed to run.

Anyone have suggested GNR settings to make it harder for high-level players? It tends to be one of the longest playing games at my local spot, but I don’t know the rules well enough to start poking around at adjustments.

Turn initial ball save off at start of every ball, Set Coma to need like 7 or 8 hits, set all mb”s to require more shots. (Throw The Lights, Make Some Noise, etc). A big thing is to make “spot band members” on extra hard so no free song lit on ball 3. You can also make it to require more shots to collect band members. Probably the biggest thing is to set song ball save at a maximum of 30 seconds, and limit the amount of add a balls to either 1 or 2.

2 Likes

Good Afternoon!

If you set the difficulty for Ignite the Flames multiball to 3 or 4 how do you light the Y-R and O to start the multiball. P lights the first time you hit the target but I can not see how to enable the Y.

Thanks in advance.

Hi. I’ve had my machine for a while now and it “seems” that the centre scoop is designed to slowly rotate where it ejects the ball. It starts at the middle of the left flipper but after about 20 games or so it’s shooting straight down the middle for the next 20! Seriously frustrating!
Is this normal? Can it be adjusted?
Thanks for any help,
Bill

Yes. Can be adjusted to hit the left flipper every time.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m a novice (complete) at fiddling with my machines, is it just a programming issue? My “guy” who fixes them is coming next week to fix a few things.

It’s completely mechanical. The scoop hood needs to be adjusted so that it goes the direction you want every time.