Game list for IFPA Pin-Masters and 2014-15 US National Pinball Championship

Any feedback on Elvira w/ its lock stealing?

I’m fairly new to competitive pinball, but that feature seems unfair to me.

thanks

In a 2-player game, lock stealing gets interesting: do you load the lock yourself and hope to cash in? Or do you dodge the lock and force the other player to load it?

In a 4-player game, it’s a lot less interesting, and a lot more luck of order and situation. I recall seeing @noahpdavis inherit 3 single-lock multiballs. Is this still pinball? Heck yeah, pinball has a widely varying amount of luck in different games.

After the first golf session they switched Elvira to a single-player game.

I think the lock stealing for heads-up play is great for exactly the things Bowen mentioned.

I know I was doing commentary for I believe the Zach vs. Mahesh match? Zach had gotten a jackpot early and I had talked about playing possum after that point and not helping Mahesh with any sort of lock progress after that point in time, going up 1-0 so to speak in the Jackpot category.

You’ll see Zach intentionally not filling his E-A-T to even accidentally light his lock should he accidentally hit that left orbit.

Adds a nice chess element to things with how you play the game situationally.

The 4-player game became less of that since people weren’t playing against eachother, but rather all playing to a score, so we ditched it after Friday for exactly that reason. I heard about some offers on the table for players being paid to leave locks collected for the next person up (j/k) :smile:

1 Like

I recall seeing @noahpdavis inherit 3 single-lock multiballs.

AND NOT CASHING A SINGLE JACKPOT - ha. I have to admit I actually started shooting locks after the 3rd blown multi due entirely to self implied group guilt!

2 Likes

I couldn’t believe how many locks fell your way that game. I need to go back and watch the video, but it’s going to be painful. I struggled to get control and ended up taking a 10. Considering I finished 7 strokes out of qualifying, that Elvira game is the one that still stings!

I will say that you legitimately felt guilty about taking all those locks from us, but damn dude, at least cash in a jackpot!! Haha

2 Likes