Flip Frenzy and early exits

This only really matters if you are using net wins as your ranking metric (wins - losses).
That’s why I prefer to use total wins as the main ranking metric with net wins (or percentage wins) as a decider.

Having ran a few of these format comps, I think I’ve only ever found 1 which created different results at the top of the field.

1 Like

This!

Shouldn’t even be allowed to call it a Flip Frenzy if you’re calculating wins minus losses. That’s just a heads-up tourney with an efficient queue.

1 Like

I don’t want to have to type this out when describing the event. Haha. Unless you did flip frenzy when they first started and before matchplay picked them up, no one knows the original format anyway.

Thanks to all you spineless american TDs who gutted everything fun from a wildass aussie innovation! :wink: Yes, I’m dying on this hill.

3 Likes

If going to total wins, would this be a proper rule to accompany things?

“A competitor if free to concede a match or end a ball if they desire to do so. However, all balls during a match must be plunged, meaning the machine must be in “game over” state when both competitors leave the machine. Competitors are not permitted at any time to turn a machine on/off to reset the machine.”

To put things in perspective a little, this is a rather small local event. My stuff averages 8 players at any given tournament. I don’t see a need to have a huge list of rules for situations that I’m not likely to run into, but I know full well that low odds doesn’t mean no odds. Just trying to run a variety of enjoyable events.

2 Likes

Yeah the idea is fantastic for sure. I just don’t like people conceding left and right. Net wins gets rid of that.

I think matchplay allows both setups right?

1 Like

Went to a flip frenzy where a player left halfway through and there win/loss was locked in when they left and they ended up finishing pretty high considering the amount of players in the tournament. Really turned me off to the format.

edit: that said, I like the deactivate from the tournament and -1 for every remaining round or remove them from the standings completely options

1 Like

Conceding left & right is the format! Sounds like you don’t like the idea after all. :nerd_face:

Yes, but everyone’s too boring to do it the real way.

I played in one actual Flip Frenzy run by the Aussies on their custom software at Logan, amazing experience. I’ve played in a bunch of “net wins” Faux Frenzies since then. Just feels like a tournament.

TLDR: tourney people suck the joy out of everything they touch.

2 Likes

We had a few people here in Australia agreeing to one ball games and plunging the rest so they cld play more games and get more wins therefore we brought in the net win rule.

1 Like

Can you help me understand that’s different about the original Australian version? When I first started running them in Pennsylvania I based it on rules I saw outlined in Pinball! Pinball! Pinball! Tournament report and format discussion where the original post was about an event in Japan. We even gave away a shiny new pinball in the first few iterations of the event for the winner.

1 Like

I was talking to a local player who also runs tournaments just to bounce off ideas. After a few conversations we got to a place that I am pretty happy with.

1. Format is wins minus losses.

2. Late players are allowed, but will start tied with the player in last place. If you arrive while a round in progress the tie would be done after that round is over.

3. Any player that leaves early would get a -1 for each potential round they would miss.

I was reading about “player not present” and like that it gives a -1, but I don’t like that it also sends their opponent back into the queue. Yes they break even for the round, but I’d prefer they get to play since that’s what they came to do. I would prefer the option to have it give a -1 to the missing player and also send the next player in queue as the waiting player’s opponent.

I don’t know if there are any options to change what “player not present” does, so at this point I would probably just deactivate them and give a -1 manually based on what matchplay declares as the average number of rounds.

I believe it keeps the other person in the match and gives them a new opponent.

I have a test here where I marked myself as “not present”. Nathaniel is my opponent.

Dave is drawn from the top of queue to replace me against Nathaniel. I’m sent to the back to the queue.

3 Likes

Oh, maybe I misread who goes to the back of the queue. Thanks for walking through the test and pointing that out.

They go to the front of the queue is my understanding.

I ran my first flip frenzy on Matchplay last night. It went pretty smooth, except for the timer.
I made certain before I began the tournament that it was set to run for 1.5 hours. I began the tournament and after maybe 20 minutes or so, I noticed that the timer was paused. Possibly someone clicked that by mistake? Anyway, I resumed the timer only to see it counting down from about 25 minutes. It should have been counting down from about 65-70 minutes. No idea what happened. We solved the issue simply by pausing the timer again and running a timer on my phone for the correct time. Anyone had a problem like that on a Flip Frenzy?

One other small thing puzzled me. With 17 players and the queue set for 20%, it put 5 players in the queue. That is 29.4%. I fixed this by assigning 2 more players to an open game, thereby shrinking the cue to 3 players. I assumed that 20% of 17 players would put 4 players in the cue?

You need an even number of players who aren’t in the queue.

3 Likes

I have never noticed a timer issue, but have added a group manually on occasion to get things rolling a little better for my turnout.

what is a “round” in a flip frenzy?

Each time you name is called for a match.