Data on best-game qualifying Minutes per Game played?

@kdeangelo and @haugstrup:
Do your respective tourney software systems have information collected on what is the average minutes per game in a single-player best-game (Herb)? Or similar metric such as # of plays/pin per hour of qualifying?

Match Play only stores two timestamps for games in best game tournaments: Creation time and last updated time.

But! The game is created when the player is added to the queue. So the duration I can calculate is the time between the player being added to the queue and the score being entered. And since players can switch queues and TDs can edit scores this may not even be a very accurate number either. Generally speaking the software can’t know when a player physically steps up to a machine.

You can get an export of all games played using the “Export” tab and then you can calculate plays per pin per qualifying hour that way. Each game will have the last update time in the export so you know when the game was last touched (typically when the score was entered)

We checked the audits after the NW champs one year, iirc, BSD had an average game time of 47 seconds XD
Tim Hansen can attest to how crappy we set that machine up… Live and learn :slightly_smiling:

2 Likes

I only timestamp the actual score entry but don’t have any processes built yet to calculate the average time (despite having been on my to-do list for ages). The data could be pulled and calculated though.

Looking for anything in particular?

For INDISC (or other Herb tourneys that used DTM), what were the average # of plays per pin during qualifying? Or even if you simply have total # of plays? (I can see how many pins there were). Looking at a couple people’s player pages that shows their history of INDISC plays, I believe that DTM also recorded all the voided plays, so the # recorded should be fairly accurate.
And then how many total hours of qualifying were there?
I can do the rest of the math from there.

I suppose if you have the same data for Classics, that would be interesting to know as well.

I’ll take whatever you have, even if it’s in raw Excel form. While I’m not a programmer, at least I can run all the Pivot tables, count, and countif functions to my heart’s content. :slightly_smiling:

Thanks in advance!

INDISC 2016 data dump! 27 hours of qualifying for modern, 23 hours for classics.

Total plays per game (includes voids):

Modern
Demolition Man - 384
Doctor Who - 379
Twister - 309
Laser War - 341
Grand Lizard - 374
Lord of the Rings - 260
Godzilla - 316
Hoops - 401
The Getaway - 355
Torpedo Alley - 320
Walking Dead LE - 305
Waterworld - 318

Classics
Jacks Open - 341
Rock - 245
Hokus Pokus - 239
Flash Gordon - 363
Dragonfist - 321
Skateball - 292
Cleopatra - 293

Average played entries, including voids:
Modern - 29.43478
Classics - 23.52809

Most entries consumed: 158 :dizzy_face:

3 Likes

Per was at INDISC?!?! I didn’t see him in the standings :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks, Karl!

And 158!?!?!? Yikes.

someone good at math - how much $$ was that? (assuming they didn’t scorekeep of course)

Over $400 I think?

Yes! I brought my BSD to TPF last year and I think a handful of people broke 100M. After an hour or so, I noticed no one was lined up to play it. I thought there was something wrong with it. :smiling_imp:

[quote=“haugstrup, post:2, topic:1304, full:true”]But! The game is created when the player is added to the queue. So the duration I can calculate is the time between the player being added to the queue and the score being entered. And since players can switch queues and TDs can edit scores this may not even be a very accurate number either. Generally speaking the software can’t know when a player physically steps up to a machine.
[/quote]

While the machine would have to have software built in to keep track, wouldn’t a simple way to determine when someone begins a game be when the first switch is hit? Or are we talking about something else here?

[quote=“kdeangelo, post:6, topic:1304, full:true”]Modern
Demolition Man - 384
Doctor Who - 379
Twister - 309
Laser War - 341
Grand Lizard - 374
Lord of the Rings - 260
Godzilla - 316
Hoops - 401
The Getaway - 355
Torpedo Alley - 320
Walking Dead LE - 305
Waterworld - 318
[/quote]

I did not expect Hoops to be the highest and Lord of the Rings to be the lowest. I remember Godzilla needed to be repaired, though I’m guessing there were many other cases of machines needing maintenance. Does this relate to game time? Or was Hoops really reliable and study and Lord of the Rings prone to mechanical failures?

When I was there, I usually just chose whichever game had the shortest line. Seems that I usually chose ones with lower numbers of games played, which sounds about right (except for Hoops, which often had nobody there).

God that emoticon just cracks me the hell up. It’s so silly yet so perfect for the occasion.

3 Likes

Our experience running NWPC is that the faster playing games have the most plays.

Karls numbers resemble ours - with 11 games (7 modern, 4 classic) we average about 350-400 plays per game, over a 2 day herb qualifying.

It can be tough to hit those types of numbers. To get 400 plays on a game over 24 hours of qualifying time (12 hrs per day) You are talking an average of 3.7 minutes to turnaround each player on a machine.

1 Like

Ah, all right then. So I wasn’t the only one getting chewed apart by Hoops.