Brackelope 2.3 Beta & Feedback

I’m switching over to the new beta-testing platform. If you’d like to be included in pre-release builds of the app, please PM your email address or contact me at isaac@brackelope.com. The build is being tested now and should be ready for review next week.

This includeds the fixed randomizer, adds balanced and swiss seeding to KO, iPhone 6/6+ support and a whole slew of updates I’ve been holding on to over the last year.

Thanks everyone!

10 Likes

@echa here’s a chance for a new toy for your February tournament :smile:

@iscrz what’s the difference between balanced and swiss seeding in brackelope? (one is random, but unplayed opponents another is playing people with the same win/loss record?)

2 Likes

Random is random. Balanced builds random a round about 1000 times until it finds a set with the lowest number of double pairings (heavily deemphasizing pairs that played the previous round). Swiss does the same thing as Balanced, but first sorts players by strikes so the top seeds always play eachother.

1 Like

Byes are assigned randomly to any player in any round regaurdless of strikes. However you can’t get two byes in a row, and you can’t get your second bye anyway until every remaining player has gotten one.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. I’ve always wondered what balanced really meant in brackelope :smile:

1 Like

Is this the same version we’ve been using at Add-a-ball for a year? Why is it still Beta? That version is so much better than the prior version. Can’t you just release it normally so that everyone can get it just from the store? Several others run Brackelope tourneys here, and they use the older non-Beta version, which is nowhere near as good. The version with Swiss also shows number of strikes each person has when you go to brackelope live, which is also a great feature!

1 Like

Yeah that’s the idea, to get this out as soon as possible. I’m hoping this next round of testing will help me put the finishing touches on it. I’ve been back and forth on so many features it kinda spun out and got messy. I’m getting better at prioritizing exactly what needs to be done next so hopefully development will go smoother in the future.

1 Like

Thanks to everyone that applied! You should be getting an email shortly with instructions on how to download the app. Let me know if you have any questions, and feel free to post any feedback here. It’s pretty much feature locked at this point, but I’m happy to hear anything you’d like to see in the future.

Thanks again!

1 Like

thanks bracket for the update. some of the people DBS mentioned above will be sending you emails.

1 Like

Use Brackelope all the time and look forward to the update. Great interface.

2 Likes

I don’t know if you have this feature yet, but you really need it … be able to edit previous rounds. Once a new round starts, you can’t change results of previous round. But often someone only notices the next round that the score was entered wrong. It happened tonight. It is so difficult to find a good solution.

Alternately, let the tournament director simply override, and edit any player to give them an extra X, or delete one X. Possibly add a PIN to protect that feature.

It really is an essential feature, because there’s no good way to fix this problem right now (and yes, it did happen today in our side tourney).

Thanks for considering this, Isaac!

5 Likes

It’s definitely on my list. Though changing results in a KO would force a redraw of all following matches. A director’s PIN is a pretty good idea that I can get behind. Manually adjusting strikes is another feature I want to allow, just the way I have games and matches setup in the code makes stuff like that kinda hacky.

One thing it is allowing is late adding players to KO tournaments, but removing them is tricky.

I’m sorry it caused you trouble at your event. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

1 Like

Build 29 up for testers. Thanks for your feedback so far!

New Features
• Player Nicknames!

WPPR.txt
• Nicknames are ignored in .txt
• Added “Meaningful Matches Played” number

UI
• Finalized 2 player match cells
• Moved ActionSheets to center
• Tidy’d UI for iOS8

Bracket View
• Added round labels
• Tighter brackets
• Updated bracket cells
• Bigger ‘next match’ buttons

Bug fixes
• Fixed wonky bug that would hide the match table if the search field was empty

3 Likes

Could you add a “start all matches in the round” button? When you have a big tournament, there’s a lot of clicking just to get people playing, and this would speed things up.

1 Like

Yes. Yes I can :wink:

3 Likes

Knockout - 3 strikes running. A player had no strikes, everyone else had 1 or 2. I know it matches people with similar amount of strikes. Does it default to a bye for the one with no strikes since there is no true match or does it match offer a bye randomly for an odd amount of players.

2 Likes

First it picks a player to award a bye using the rules outlined above, then it takes the remaining players and sorts them as if the bye player wasn’t in the tournament.

1 Like

I see now. There was some discussion at the tourney and I didn’t take the time to reread this thread. Some players were concerned that since I had 0 strikes and everyone else had 1 or more that I was getting an unfair advantage (bye) due to nobody to match up with. Thanks!

1 Like

Ran this at a tournament this weekend without any issues. Knockout/4 Strikes/Swiss/Balanced. Nickname feature was used by the director, helped sort out players with the same name.

Only item people were requesting was to have 3/4 player groups instead of 2 player groups with 1/2/3 players receiving strikes. Might be beyond your scope for this, but just thought I’d mention it.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Did you do one game of best of three? I’ve been curious how long four strike tournaments take.

1 Like