Best “buildable” shot values in pinball?

Players were blowing the game out because of this bug at the Wisconsin State Championships in Kenosha that Bud Ice sponsored IIRC. Jon got wind of it and the ROM was patched. I don’t know if there were any more revisions after this patch. Maybe Jon can give more specifics if he is aware of this thread and wants to.

In the modern game, the bug does not matter because today’s world class players will just live catch off the feed from the right orbit and then shoot the hurry-up on the left orbit like butter. The only fix is not to have something like this hurry-up in the rule set. Otherwise the left orbit switch will need to be butchered if a game like this is included.

rom version LH-6. I had to test it, because I didn’t believe it. It was a bit tricky to take good a picture at the right moment while shooting two way combos one-handed, but on my fifth try I did it. btw if someone wants to proof another rom version, do it with two balls (khan/hotel mb). It’s much easier.

1 Like

Thanks for doing this. I’d like to request that someone with a Pinside account contact Pinsider: ALY | Pinside Community if they don’t mind, to see what ROM this Pinside member had since this person ran into the same cap as I did. Maybe they can post over here with details of the ROM, etc…

Deadheads on Scared Stiff max at 99 (x25k = 2.475m). Still overwhelm everything else you could shoot for.

“Deadheads on Scared Stiff max at 99 (x25k = 2.475m). Still overwhelm everything else you could shoot for.”

Ok, so I am also almost positive this is false. I swear I’ve seen deadhead values closer to 10M. Can someone confirm?

Double Trouble can double that to 4.95. Unfortunately I’m pretty sure “Quadruple Trouble” does not exist (picking Double Trouble as the last thing needed for Spider MB, thinking it’d stack with the DT you get from Spider). But especially for bonus purposes, they definitely stopped counting at 99.

Of course I won’t rule out ROM revisions either.

Ok sounds like this is not going to be tested for other ROMs besides the MAME/LH-6 ROM. So I and the person on Pinside imagined a cap and also we both imagined that it capped at 255M.

Its cool :slight_smile: The 1B combo dream is alive.

1 Like

Twin Galaxies should reinstate all of Billy Mitchell’s Donkey Kong Mame scores, since there’s no difference between MAME Roms and none-MAME ones.

you can save state in mame

Hopefully someone will test the older ROMs like LX-5 and earlier as one or more of these ROMs is capped. Anyway, here is video confirmation of no cap for LH-6 https://youtu.be/EPdgj4eKmAY from Pinside user ALY. He doesn’t have older ROMs either.

pinmame has for older roms
LA-2
LA-4
LX-4
LX-5
PA-1

Rocket ramp in party zone, maxes out at 2 million.

1 Like

I think Barn from TWD is pretty sweet. What on earth does that max at? I got it to 14.5 mil the other day…

Base value? Nice. I doubt it maxes out.

And pops pausing the timer in single ball play

I recall this video from Escher - it’s not so much about what it “maxes out” as, moreso as to when you ought to collect it and still have time for the final shot.

2 Likes

I tested all The Shadow ROMs on IPDB (PA1, LA2, LA4, LX4, LX5, LH6) in MAME and none of them had a cap on the 2-way combo value. The value wraps around at 10B like your score. I didn’t investigate super thoroughly to see if there were settings or any other circumstances that could cap it.

2 Likes

New life goal: roll the shadow 2-way combo value

3 Likes