2017 IFPA Pingolf Rules

I have a couple of questions on the upcoming changes to pingolf for IFPA endorsed events. We just wrapped up our last 2016 season and going into 2017, I’d like to make sure I understand how the changes will (or possibly won’t) affect how we run our league for next year.

Here’s a link to our latest scoresheet for reference. I’ve done some math for PGM in the Final Standings and Finals Brackets tabs.

First, if I understand correctly, to calculate the PGM, I must take only the results of the players that advance from the regular rounds to the finals. So in our case, we play three 9 hole rounds and the 8 lowest 18 hole scores (we drop the highest scoring round) make the cut. So I take those 8 players, average their scores from the 2 rounds (that we count) and then divide by 18 and then 3 for a PGM value. If I’m doing the math correctly, this works out to an average of over 3 strokes/hole, for the qualifiers, always grading out to 100% TGP.

Example… 8 players average 74.4 / 18 = 4.13 / 3 = 1.38 PGM so we collect 18 holes of TGP for our qualifying rounds.

As above, this is the same for finals rounds but I get a 2x multiplier for running 4 player groups. If we play 18 holes in the qualifying, then 2 rounds of 4 holes (8 total holes to win) in the finals, and I get at least 1 for PGM out of both rounds, then I get 16 TGP for finals and a total of 34 TGP? Can TGP even go over 25 for any tournament (4% per game x 25)?

Going forward into 5.3, are there any issues with dropping a “highest” scoring round? Doesn’t seem like there should be but want to make sure before we update any rules into next season.

We don’t do this in our league, but I didn’t see anything in the rules about combining objective based scoring and goal based scoring. If someone wanted to do a tournament with a mix of both, as long as the average score is above 3/hole then the event will get 100% for each game played?

Example… 4 holes are objectives, with a max score of 6, 5 holes are points based with a max score of 10. Over 9 holes, the average score for the players that advance to a playoff is 3.3 / 3 = 1.1 so 100% TGP for 9 games.

You’ve pretty much nailed it. I know I heard Bruce on his Slam Tilt podcast mention that the golf format is now graded out at 1/3rd value for each game played, and that seems to be a pretty common misconception. Golf can still grade out just fine assuming your course difficulty warrants it.

As for TGP ever being worth more than 100%, the answer is no. At 100% TGP, that’s the max value that a tournament can award. There’s no ‘beyond max’.

As for dropping the worst scoring round, that’s perfectly fine. We always grade based on what data is used for qualifying. We see this in leagues often when say for a 10 week season, players are allowed to drop their lowest 2 weeks. For TGP purposes we would use 8 weeks as the metric for calculating TGP.

2 Likes

I was going to reply to them on their thread, that is pretty big misconception. If you set balanced goal Pingolf is worth as much as it has been before and would still be a great format :slight_smile: @Gizmonic

If you have a pingolf on DMD game set to 10 ball and have goals set so the average strokes was 6, does that mean each games count as 2 games?

https://www.ifpapinball.com/pingolf/

If the PGM is greater than 1.00, then every hole played will count as a full game played for TGP purposes.

PGM could average to 2 or 3 or 4, but you can never gain more value for the game played than 100% no matter how much over 1.00 you are at.

1 Like

Probably a good fail-safe to have… never know who’s going to be the first to run a “valinor or bust” tourney :wink:

1 Like

@pinwizj Do these new rules apply to any Pingolf event that would like to earn WPPR points? Or only those on the tour? I read through most of the page on the IFPA website but the language made me confused about whether it was only tournaments that wanted to be part of the Tour or all Pingolf events for points.

Thanks!

T[quote=“Redhop, post:7, topic:2173”]
@pinwizj Do these new rules apply to any Pingolf event that would like to earn WPPR points? Or only those on the tour? I read through most of the page on the IFPA website but the language made me confused about whether it was only tournaments that wanted to be part of the Tour or all Pingolf events for points.
[/quote]

All pingolf events must be on ‘the tour’ for them to be endorsed for WPPR points.

Looking over this I think there is an error with the math. It has the average of the scores [51,64,68,68,69,70,72,73,73,74,76,76,77,81,85,88] as 85.31. Unless there is something I’m missing, it should be 72.81. That would make the rest of the calculations off, though it still would give a value higher than 1 for the PGM.

I wonder if the TGP/PGM description couldn’t be simplified. I think that’s where the 1/3 TGP confusion may have come from. When I work backwards through the PGM maths it’s clear that TGP will always grade out to 100% so long as the average score stays above 3. So maybe something like “pingolf events will get full TGP for all games played provided the average per hole score for advancing players is above 3. If avancing players avaeraged less than 3 strokes per hole played, your course and/or finals will get less than 100% TGP. Here are some examples of how to calculate PGM and TGP…”

Fixed . . .thanks :slight_smile:

I’ll try to take another swing at this when things slow down . . . once we’re through IFPA14 :slight_smile:

I let Bruce know :slight_smile:

Ron…

1 Like

That’s probably my fault. I was one of the poeple that thought it was going to just be 1/3 of a game. So with the actual change to the PGM calculation the change in TGP will be much less.