$1,000 buy in tourney?

How many people do you think would sign up for this? Provided it was run by someone with access to plenty of good games and was a seasoned and respected TD(s), etc… ZenTron floated this idea in Oct 2015 just curious what peoples thoughts are these days. I think it would be a spectator event too - sorta like the recently IFPA tourney in Chicago at the Bottom Lounge … and maybe have 1-2 lower buy in side tourneys also going at the same time.

I personally wouldn’t sign up for the $1k main event. But if I was a top 75 player I probably would. I think a tourney like this would need at least 16 people to make it interesting.

Could also have satellite tourneys where you could win a seat like WSOP does.

What would be the ideal location? Chicago? NYC? LA? Vegas? Cancun? Europe?

And this is just an Idea - I have no plans to pursue anything like this - it’s just fun to think about.

We’ll see how many people go in for the full $500 entry fee for the IFPA Power 100 Championship :slight_smile:

https://www.ifpapinball.com/power100/

2 Likes

I would get the same enjoyment participating in a $1,000 buy-in tournament as I would participating in a $100 buy-in tournament so for me the answer is “no thanks”

3 Likes

This will indeed be a good indicator. Can’t wait for this tourney. Kinda forgot about it. Maybe in 2020 I’ll make it to the power 100.

I was kinda skeptical about the IFPA $1’s, but I do think $$$$ makes things more interesting. I might watch a stream of KME playing Cayle on Iron Maiden. But if someone said they were going to play a best of 7 series for $10k. I’d tune in for sure. So money does make a difference… at least for me.

I’m a long way from the power 100 but I would have no problem throwing down $500 for a high stakes tournament. Hell I already tried last year to do a $100 tournament but very few would bite.

1 Like

$6200 potentially up for grabs so far:

1 Keith Elwin
2 Zach Sharpe
3 Raymond Davidson
4 Cayle George
5 Josh Sharpe
6 Aaron Grabowski
7 Escher Lefkoff
8 Johnny Modica
9 Jason Werdrick
10 Sebastian Bobbio
11 Lyman Sheats
12 Adam Lefkoff
13 Zac Wollons
14 Fred Richardson

2 Likes
7 Likes

If you want to see the difference in attitudes on opposite sides of the Atlantic, just read this.

and see how quickly it gets ridiculous

1 Like

There are atleast 16 players in the world who have the skills, confidence and money to compete in a high stakes tournament. Its just waiting for the right organizers to come up with the right event. Making pinball events is hard…

2 Likes

Guy here in Syracuse was I think serious about hosting one a few years back. Never got the ball rolling on it. For that prize pool we were wondering if we could get out of state & Canadian players to come.
Full disclosure, I wouldnt play, and he only wants to run it at his house on his games :smiley:

We have plenty of people that will pay $20 or even $100 for a single game. $1000 towards the pot for a full event isn’t that far off. I think Chad’s original $400 buy-in would work in a regional event.

But everyone here told me the stakes don’t matter… so I doubt you’ll find huge appeal here :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would be willing to play in a high-ish stakes tourney…against players around my own ability. (Some a little higher, some a little lower).

Paying $500 or $1000 to play against that lineup above would be nothing more than a donation at this point. #playbetter

8 Likes

I think the key thing here is that few mid-level competitor would drop $1000 to go toe-to-toe with one or more “top” players, whatever your criteria for that is, across 10 or 30 games.

Beating one or two of those players on a single game? Now that starts to get interesting.

Pinball is small enough that you can already end up in matches with the best in the world without having to pay $1000.

5 Likes

It’s not high stakes unless it’s at least 4 figures a game.

Agreed, but that’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying that the chances I can beat a top 10 player across 10 games is basically nothing. On a single game I perceive the odds for me being much better.

1 Like