Use of LED Head Lamp

I’m seriously thinking about this. But, looking through the reviews at Amazon, some people mention that the goose neck will not reliably hold the light in position. With all the vibration on a pinball machine, that might be a problem.

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with this light on a machine? I’d rather not blow $31.77 plus probably $15 shipping only to find out that it can’t do what I want to use it for…

Free shipping for Prime members. :wink:

Keep in mind that a magnet won’t work on games with a stainless steel lock bar, which many 90’s games have.

Not to Down Under.

Good point, I hadn’t thought of that, thanks!

Yep that’s the light I have. The neck stays in place ok, it’s the focus ring that is garbage. Fixed it with a little electrical tape to keep it at the widest angle (see pic above). Still haven’t dared take it to league tho!

Thanks for that! Seriously considering this for some of the machines I play regularly at tournaments. Hoping that I won’t be told by the TD that I can’t do that…

Haha i was just about to mention medallion, but you beat me to it. He always places the lamp on the lockbar/bottom of glass iirc.

Funny place to put yourself in - anyone can complain and get you ejected.

1 Like

I’m currently working on a prototype battery powered version of pinstadium lights which will be completely portable and attach to the top of the side rails via magnets.

Will provide the same light as pinstadium but will require no electrical connecting to a machine. I have also eliminated the rainbow stripes, by using white only leds and a filter over them (but forgot to take a photo of the filtered light)

Early testing seems promising.

2 Likes

Yes!! Please keep us posted.

The only problem for tournaments I think is that you cannot attach anything to a machine. I don’t remember the exact ruling but when I was at pinburgh this year someone in my group had a light that attached to the machine. I don’t think he was allowed to use it. @bkerins would be able to shine some light on it since he was called over.

1 Like

The player was allowed to use the lamp, as long as it was never distracting to anyone else.

Thank you I was wrong then. So in theory this would be legal?

I guess I would say it isn’t theory. As long as there is no interference caused to others.

2 Likes

Having been in one of those groups, I think I would’ve felt better about it if the person had said “I have this thing- would you like me to only use it for my turns, or would you like me to leave it on the game?” There was something about them not telling anyone they were going to use it until it was their turn that made me feel a little like they were trying to get one over on everyone. Just an etiquette note to think about if you are planning to bring a machine-mounted lamp to a show- at least to say to the group that you plan to use it before play begins.

(There were other confounding factors such as native language and prevalence of lamps in this person’s home pinball scene- so please don’t read this as me saying this person was rude, more that I thought there is a step that someone could take to assuage any weird feeling at the beginning of play)

As someone playing beside this individual at pinburgh, I found it a distraction. They were not careful about turning it off before they moved it, and I was flashed at least once, although it didn’t impact my play as I was draining at the time, but it impacted my mood. I think I will start writing into my rules that no devices may be played on or attached to the machine without prior approval by a TD.

4 Likes

Make sure they can’t be seen by the adjacent players. I can see them complaining about that.

I also assume this would be a solution for TDs to implement on games with dark playfields. Not players walking around attaching these to all the games they played.

I originally envisaged using them to provide extra light while streaming, as they provide no overhead light causing reflection.

I posted in this particular thread as I can see them being used as a personal portable lamp, in place of a magnetic angle poise lamp, in tournaments where lighting is less than perfect.

It would also be useful for TDs to use to provide additional game lighting, easily switching between machines in use as needed.

Update:
I’ve now placed all of the orders for components, which should be with me within a week. It’ll then just be a matter of building them up before the unveiling.

3 Likes

I’m a little confused, is that DQ’d for that game only or ejected from the tournament with a zero score?

I, personally, do not like Pin Stadium lights, and even find them distracting if on an adjacent machine.

I’m a pretty “chill” fella, it would take a lot of accidental headlamp glare to get me to complain, but, unless somehow super contained (possible?), I might raise an issue with someone setting up portable pin stadiums next to me. They reaaaaaaaally don’t jive with my eyes, something about my rods and cones, I can’t get near 'em. I do, when I have to. But prefer not to.

Kinda raises an interesting thing here… obviously I deal with tourney games that have Pin Stadiums installed, but I could ask a TD for remedy if I found a mobile system like this distracting? Same lights, different results…