Tournament finals when a player cannot participate

Yes, that is exactly how I would submit the results to IFPA. Qualifying position would be used to determine final results for no-shows.

1 Like

Oh! Sorry, I didn’t hear about the no-show in C. My mistake.

I go by…

When no-shows…

Prior to finals started:
Bump up all players below the vacant spot. The no-show will be granted a finish position just outside the finals system he abandoned (byes doesn’t matter). And finish positions for remaining lower finals systems and non-qualified will be a position lower.

If during finals:
Have the no-show player continue in the finals system with a score of zero for remaining games.

If during an on-going game in finals:
TD plunge out the remaining of the on-going game for the no-show player. And the score at game over is recorded.

These rules in sure a somewhat best equalised fair treatment of all players. And it does not give players the power to leave a tournament strategically to help a friend advance. By converting an on-going game to a score of zero.

I have personally experience the rather dreadful thing of being highest not qualified player at a tournament. With a guy leaving prior to finals. But only to find the TD giving his finals opponent a free ride. Aweful.

1 Like

I do not think preventing collusion this should be a goal of your ruling. It is easy to get a score of zero many other ways, I don’t see this preventing it.

Explain collusion.

Yes, it is a great rule. People dropping out midgame for strategic reasons undermining the tournament would be an ugly situation. Why not just say, that if so your score stands. What is wrong with that?

Scenario. Four player final. You have to win to advance. Your friend has to not be last to advance. Ball 3, some third guy is way ahead. You buddy is already secured last place…

I prefer watching someone tilt with the ball still in the plunger lane rather than dropping out midgame … Far more entertaining :wink:

1 Like

No, it is fine. I just wouldn’t convert this to a score of zero. That all I am saying.

IFPAPA changed our rules for this situation after Pinburgh when a TD successfully plunged the missing player’s balls to a 3rd place finish (out of 4).

“Any player who is absent when he or she has a ball to play, whether in qualifying or final rounds, will be given a maximum of three minutes to return. After that time, the player is DQ’d from the game in question and will receive a score of 0 for that game. Any player who has an emergency should notify a tournament official, so that accommodations may be made.”

1 Like

I dissagree on this. I think the old rule was fair (though with more administration and room for error, plunging other players balls). The way I would improve it is to state, that the players score is what is put on the register with the player at the controls. Deducting the score value the game had when the player entered the match.

But this is a totally different scenario to what I stated in my post:

If during an on-going game in finals:
TD plunge out the remaining of the on-going game for the no-show player. And the score at game over is recorded.

Meaning, not to give players the power to convert their score in an on-going game to zero. When it is already at some value, after ball 1 or 2. Admitted, the term “no-show” is a bit misleasing for this. “Resignee” than.

You are welcome to disagree. I just wanted to state the IFPAPA rules for anyone that uses them.

Collusion/player conduct issues are handled completely separate from in game match ruling issues.

For example if I can’t win PAPA, and me taking a last place on the last game guarantees that Zach wins PAPA, there’s a strong chance I take last, right? Or no? Or yes? :slight_smile:

I can ‘make it look good’, and if asked should any collusion be going on simply say “No, I tried my best”.

I can also walk up and slam tilt the machine, or refuse to play, in which case by rule, Zach still wins the tournament. I then expect the PAPA TD’s to give me a lifetime ban from ever participating again based on my player conduct in the situation.

1 Like

That TD was me! Damn you Taxi.

I do think @soren makes a good case for saying the visible score of the player when they disappeared should become their final score, instead of just instantly going to a DQ.

1 Like

I think this all depends on whether there’s some sort of notice from the player that would end up in this situation.

I have no problem with a player giving notice that they can’t finish their game and have to leave/throw up/lie down/etc. At that point I would take their current game score and call it a day.

A player that just straight up disappears, no notice, no anything, maybe they are coming back, maybe they aren’t. IMO that player gets put on the clock, 3 minutes to return or else I have no problem DQ’ing them.

I bring my stopwatch to Pinmasters every year for just that kind of person :wink:

1 Like

IMHO the ruling should be the same – whatever it is – any time a player abandons a game in progress. The only impact of notifying the TD should be to accelerate the 3 minute waiting period. Otherwise: same player action (game abandonment) = same ruling applied.

4 Likes

I’ll take it under advisement with PAPA staff :wink:

Having slept on this, I will go by the simple general rule.

“A player running late for, or leaving early from, a game, will have a score recorded of the points earned with the player in control. A TD is plunging an absent players balls.”

And just to be theoretically water tight from the absurd.

“A player leaving a game cannot re-enter.”

A player may play poorly at will or tilt deliberately all day. I just believe it is hazardous, if this will affect anything but how much is added to his current score.

Full plunge? Skillful plunge? What if a full plunge is the skillful plunge?

Imagine Bowen plunging out an Addams Family game for someone, getting 20 million and taking 1st :slight_smile:

3 Likes

There should probably be a rule against TDs tilting for extra GREED letters. :smiley:

2 Likes

Bowen becomes the first TD to be DQ’d for intentionally tilting?? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Like I said, I plunged someone to victory on Taxi at Pinburgh this year. It felt dirty! But… I guess I finally did get to play in the tournament, then.

6 Likes