Tournament extension question.

This is the way the tournament was advertised.

“ It’s not a frenzy, but it’s close! Warm ups at noon, tournament starts at 1 sharp! We’ll play until 5pm and then break ties.

You’ll play head to head matches until everyone has played the same predetermined number of matches. Tiebreakers for the top 3. Trophies for top 3.”

I do not regularly participate in tournaments, but I do gravitate towards frenzies because of the cutoff time and assumed it would be similar.

There are a number of Frenzy like qualities for MaxMP. Biggest similarity is round-less head to head matches. Best improvement is that players all play the same number of matches and with as few rematches as possible.

Unfortunate that the estimation was off, but I’m sure it will work out better in the future. I’m also sure there will be another problem that creates time delays in the future for Lam, myself, and every other tournament director. The time taken to address those are in the best interest of fairness towards the players.

Flip Frenzy is dead thanks to new grading rules. Think the best “time based” format going forward will be Target Matchplay.

@Zaxxoff

I understand why it was done, but no one is addressing how to handle changes to an ongoing tournament. From a players perspective it’s important to know when changes are made to an active tournament. No?

well I think that there may been lots of confusion over time target / number of games set to play.
and have the issue of all players need to have the same number.

So if they are on the old Flip Frenzy idea of last game start time. That does not work in this new format.

while you can at any time add more. You really can’t remove to much / set the number to less then the number that any one player as already hit.

We have actually addressed it. The extensions were done to fit the time and were reasonably set given inexperience with the format and the Match Play reported game time average.

The tournament could not be ended before all matches completed. It was announced that games would be added to meet a time limit. I’m really not seeing what the hang up on understanding is.

Maybe other players at this tournament need to raise their pitchforks about how they would have won when it stopped at 16 or at 20. Or if only the 24 game extension was honored they would have been able to make it up with those last two games.

Or maybe we can try to reflect and understand. Seems like that’s already happening with @Lam choosing to give up on trying to fit a time limit going forward for the format.

1 Like

There was no announcement made when the 2nd and third changes were made.

I agree it’s moot at this point though.

What I’m saying is that the mention of trying to fit the 5:00 pm time limit was stated up front. That is an umbrella of all extensions and even then contraction from 24 down to 22. The “announcements” are viewable live on Match Play as it updates as soon as changes are made.

1 Like

If it was clearly stated that games to be played could be changed multiple times to fit the 5pm cutoff I would never had made this post.

1 Like