The first player to . . .

First and only to trap up and spit brown stuff into a coke bottle?

1 Like

I had a small one that I brought by but only remembered to use a few times. Appreciated it when I came by a sweaty machine and when I knew I had been sweating.

What a great story. I spent some time last year and the year reading a lot on pinball in the 70s and early 80s and saw a great number of newspaper articles about Dallas and those early competitions you and he played in. It’s really interesting to hear some of this first-hand.

1 Like

I am able to see them on occasion. Wonka I can see clearly.

I’ve seen Andy Burton from Seattle rock a cape.

6 Likes

Loved this, thank you for sharing!

@pinwizj would love to this see this part of the IFPA site developed with more pioneers added, you know, at some point when you guys aren’t crazy busy! I’m particularly interested in the history and characters of competitive pinball. https://www.ifpapinball.com/menu/pioneers/

2 Likes

We rely on volunteers who can speak with more authority as to the Pioneer in question. The Dallas Overturf piece was written by his sister.

Bring it on if anyone has Pioneers to add to this section of our site!

2 Likes

I think there might be at least one pioneer you can speak with some authority on. lol

1 Like

For that matter, you may be the first player I’ve seen where a tri-corner hat and pirate blouse (insert whatever the proper term is).

1 Like

Couple of notes from Pinball Wizardry, published in 1979, based on techniques observed in the late 1970’s leading up to the publication date. The Tap Pass is mentioned on page 71; either somebody saw you guys use it or somebody else starting doing it about the same time. Shatzing is referred to as the “Tip Flip” [also p. 71]. What we now refer to as the “post pass” was called the Bumper Pass in the book [p. 69].

6 Likes

Neil won’t hesitate to tell people that he didn’t invent Shatzing the inlanes. He saw someone else do it first, although I don’t recall who. He’s happy to have a move named after him, but far too humble to take credit.

If he’s playing an older Bally for fun, he will check the flippers very early. Like stealing candy from a baby.

As I wrote in my Classics Guide, it’s called Shatzing because he was the best at it, and we all knew it.

1 Like

Also the Coffin Drop

1 Like

You’re a funny guy. eloel

Am I the first player to add wrestling final set up moves while playing? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: