The "Assisted Death Save" . . .

When I think Death Save . . . something like this comes to mind :slight_smile:

IFPAPA will be adding a paragraph explaining these ā€˜Avatar type of situationsā€™. It will be considered bad game setup and not a player conduct issue.

Indeed. Just a bit of tweaking and this isnā€™t possible.

Iā€™ve seen it done in our local league on more than one occasion.

Which makes you wonder how this happened. Maybe game bringer wasnā€™t a nudger? I wouldnā€™t expect setup guy to catch this unless may heā€™d seen it before.

At least we all know to look for it now. I wonder if you can lock a ball in the jail during switch test? It would be easy to test if this is possible.

Not certain, but I think thatā€™s happened to me on a hard sling drain without any nudging. So in some cases, it wouldnā€™t even be player-caused.

Actually Bob, the other 3 players in your group independently told me that they saw some nudging, so unfortunately itā€™s a DQ! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Two things - if players learn of such an ā€˜exploitā€™ is it their responsibility to tell the TD (after they get a nice qualifying score :stuck_out_tongue: ) once they discover it in the spirit of fair play or just chalk it up as game knowledge?

Also on the death save side of things remember the Rock Star at PinMasters two years ago had the kickout that would, if you left the left flipper up, hit the metal on the drain and jump back into play pretty regularly - sounds like this is fine.

Another related situation is that I often kick up my left flipper on a fast left sling to right outlane drain just in case it was fast enough for a potential lazarus - is that OK since I am not actually Death Saving, rather being proactive about a potential lazarus situation?

1 Like

I discovered at Pinburgh (from a fellow competitor) that although a lazarus return is ok, you can only get away with it once per game. Was news to me, may be news to others too. Itā€™s under the beneficial malfunction rules, although there is some wooly wording around it (my emphasis)

ā€œAny beneficial malfunction which results in a player being able to continue play of a ball that normally should have ended is normally allowed once per game. Examples of this would include an unexpected software ball save, a ball that bounces back into play without player action, or a ball that comes to rest on an unlit kickback in the outlane. Any such behavior shall not be allowed if it repeats, meaning that tournament officials may require players to allow the repeatedly-saved ball to drainā€¦ā€

Lazarus is a special snowflake and not a beneficial malfunction:

In the event that a drained ball bounces back into play without deliberate player action, such as in the case of a ā€œlazarusā€, this is considered the mechanical nature of pinball and the ball may be played. If this situation occurs repeatedly, and there is question as to whether the lazarus ball was naturally occurring or induced by the player, tournament directors may end the game in progress and award a score of zero.

2 Likes

If weā€™re talking personal opinions here, I think it is super BS to make any ruling that relies on judging player intent as much as the proposed ā€œno nudging after the ball drainsā€ rule does. If a machine is set up with an incredibly loose tilt to the point where you can do the ā€œnudge for free X hitsā€ trick, then you canā€™t reasonably expect a player to not exploit it because they could very well accidentally trigger it in the process of trying to save a ball from an outlane drain (like I once did with Well MB during a game of TWD, which my opponents were not too happy about). Apart from the fact that itā€™s practically impossible to enforce for that reason, I also feel that itā€™s a totally valid play if the machine is set to allow it. Itā€™s very easy to set a game up so that you canā€™t do that, and if tourney directors canā€™t be bothered to even do that, thenā€¦well they have bigger fish to fry.

I honestly donā€™t even think death saves should be illegal, just impossible due to game setups. Bangbacks (to me) would be covered under machine abuse and the ā€œwe donā€™t want a player suing us when they break their wristsā€ clause that every tournament I run has. :wink:

4 Likes

and their handā€¦ :slight_smile:

Yeahā€¦ so, why is that illegal, again? (For real, not ā€œbecause itā€™s illegal.ā€) Iā€™m not kicking any legs or hitting the lockdown bar, both things that would reasonably qualify as machine abuse.

This is my point. The ā€œassisted death saveā€ should be in the same category as the death save. Either both should be allowed, or both should not. The question is whether or not players should be allowed to do stuff after the ball has drained (and by this I mean past any center posts or scoring features).

1 Like

From the rules:

ā€œBecause the effectiveness of these techniques varies from machine to machine, and because of the risk of injury to either player or machine, these techniques are banned from tournament play.ā€

YOU may be able to pull it off ā€˜just fineā€™, but if itā€™s available for players as a legal move, youā€™ll see plenty of people doing it poorly and failing at it, and thatā€™s reason enough to make it illegal to save the headaches for TDā€™s to have to deal with.

Let me be perfectly clear with my opinion because yours seems to be a little ambiguous Bowen.

First you called what Zen did a ā€œDeath Saveā€, and my opinion is that itā€™s definitely NOT. My opinion is that a Death Save is what Schober said, involving resurrecting the drained ball back into play, full stop. The fact that Joe and I agree on this MAKES IT FACT :stuck_out_tongue:

Now, Iā€™m totally fine if you want to call Zenā€™s move an ā€œAssisted Death Saveā€ (i.e. something ELSE that isnā€™t a ā€œDeath Saveā€), and then argue that ā€œAssisted Death Savesā€ should also be an illegal move. That would involve an easy paragraph explaining what ā€œAssisted Death Savesā€ are, and then explaining that the move is illegal (thereby making it explicitly ILLEGAL - and seriously things are illegal if itā€™s written that the move is illegal, because thatā€™s what rules are for)

Ultimately I simply disagree with you that the move should be illegal, and the biggest reason is the ability for TDā€™s to enforce the rule. The move itself is just a nudge, and the timing of the nudge is now called into question of when a move is legal or not legal, and to me as a TD, I want no part of dealing with that (just personally).

See Bob Matthews post of ā€˜maybe I didnā€™t nudge it, I donā€™t know when I did but Iā€™m fairly certain it was while things were legalā€™ . . . NO THANKS for me as TD walking up to that sh*tshow and making a determination that the move was done ā€˜in timeā€™ or not.

Further ultimately (is that a term?) the ā€œbush league-nessā€ (is that a term?) of the action I think is true no matter when you pull off the move, and thatā€™s coming from a person that thinks itā€™s legal! :slight_smile:

If I lose because Zen shakes a 12mil double super after not being able to hit the shot while the ball is either above or below the ā€˜fair/foul lineā€™, it bulls*it either way . . . the dude didnā€™t hit the shot.

2 Likes

When you anticipate a legitimate lazarus, as I often do on Target Pool, how careful must you be to not subconsciously help it? I donā€™t think I nudge when I see one coming, but Iā€™d only know for sure if I watched myself on video. I never intentionally death save, even when practicing, so I ā€œshouldā€ be clean ā€¦ but am I? Whereā€™s the nudge vs. death save line?

Itā€™s like golf Bob . . . we rely on players to do the right thing.

(See Dustin Johnson and the US Open issues with him ā€˜getting his ball to moveā€™ on the green - was it through his influence or not?)

At some point, our sport becomes exactly THAT, especially when the game isnā€™t under the camera and there is no TD watching.

Ultimately if Iā€™m a TD, I will ask you if you think you influenced the lazarus or not, and expect you to answer honestly, the end.

2 Likes

I think this is what makes me want to legislate it out of existence. Imagine someone winning a title from that. Didnā€™t happen this time but it could.

I definitely agree this would be difficult to police, and weā€™re probably better off not having a rule about it. But man!

Believe me I do too . . . you just CANā€™T, because itā€™s ultimately bad game setup by the TD.

The only solution is to make sure these kind of ā€˜problematicā€™ games are set up in a way that renders this behavior impossible (or close to it). Whether that be no tilt warnings, virtual locks, etc.

If ā€˜normal gameplayā€™ CAN cause this to happen (like Kevinā€™s example with the Well Walker), then youā€™re stuck, because you canā€™t judge intent of what that nudge was.

We live and learn as TDā€™s and players, and rest assured anytime we use Avatar for IFPA going forward, itā€™ll be set to no tilt warnings just to ensure nobody wins a title ā€˜this wayā€™.

2 Likes

youtube.com/watch?v=lvFkI-3QoXo :smiley:

Are you sure you werenā€™t playing World Cup 78? :wink:

So you are saying an assisted Lazarus is illegal?