Stern game code names

crujones4life on Pinside claims to have heard from John Borg that Rush was codenamed “Finn.” I’ve updated the OP accordingly.

I came across an old Pinball News article mentioning and explaining the codename for Stern’s original Avengers:

peel1
The eagle-eyed amongst you might have noticed the sticker on the underside of the playfield, printed with the words ‘PEEL 164’. ‘Peel’ was the project name for The Avengers pinball, and it comes from the British TV series of the same name from the 1960s, featuring the characters John Steed and Emma Peel.

The ‘Peel’ name is also printed on a label inside the main cabinet as the game identifier. As this was an early Pro model, this may change later in the production run.
peel2

3 Likes

Not long ago, PinMonk on Pinside posted a picture showing that James Bond 007’s codename: “Stick.” (Another user provided a potential explanation for it, which I have also added to the OP.)

PinMonk also claimed that the 60th Anniversary LE (a separate game designed by Keith Elwin) had the codename “Twig,” though I’ve held off on adding that without further proof or other people backing him up.

Finally, in the middle of a debate over the codenames, he provided some potential explanations for “Paris” (Black Knight: Sword of Rage) and “Guy” (Deadpool). I added these to the OP as well (though I clearly indicated that they are even more speculative than usual).

I updated the OP to add Stern’s last three games.

2 Likes

Just updated the OP again for Jaws - using the same methodology, it appears to have been codenamed “Hero.”

Elwin said it’s Vertigo

1 Like