Pinburgh help. Pintips?

ohhh good call. I’ll just hire Roger for the weekend :slight_smile:

I despise the secret sites

@haugstrup I know we’re just two days from Pinburgh, but any possibility of adding a quick Pinburgh filter/tab/thing to pintips for those of us willing to share Pinburgh-specific game data? The Transporter upper flipper tip in the other thread is a perfect example for this. Or maybe we could all agree to add a “PINBURGH2016” tag to the front of any tip added, then wipe those out afterwards?

8 Likes

Love it! Great idea. P.s. just finally finished watching the 6 hour stream of calex. Congrats on 2nd :slight_smile:

Before my first Pinburgh 3 years ago, when the game banks were released, I made a database for my own use. It took tens of hours over a couple weeks. Since then, I’ve updated with other notes for machines I’ve come across, including the last few Pinburghs. It currently has notes for 321 machines. (Pintips has ~620. Nice!) Some of my notes are better than pintips. Some not so much.

I’ve shared this database with a handful of friends. Occasionally, they add a note or two.

Pintips hasn’t been around that long. :slight_smile:

Keeping in mind that the notes in my database come from several sources (online rulesheets, rule cards, watching gameplay or tutorial videos, my personal experience, etc.), let me propose the following to avoid being despised by Karl:

1. If you want access to this Google Sheets database, send me a PM with an email address (not sure if you can use a non-gmail account, but you probably can if it’s linked to the email you provide).

2. In exchange for this access, I request that you donate $5 or more to one of the following pinball-related causes:
    A) https://www.gofundme.com/popifpa
    B) Bowen Kerins | creating Pinball | Patreon

3. You will have read and write access to this data, but please don’t remove any significant info without asking me first. Filling in details where it’s missing is always appreciated.

4. Copying any of this info to pintips is totally fine.

1 Like

Great idea Steve. You gave me advice and that link during my 1st pinburgh. (I was still afraid of data charges then so I didn’t use it) I forgot about that though.

So much this. But I guess I made that pretty clear previously: Pinball Strategy App! - #9 by keefer

All it does is make me not want to help people, which is generally against my nature. I don’t remember seeing league affiliations being available this year, but if I was really spiteful, I’d check someones affiliation before helping them possibly. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Great thread, @keefer. I don’t want to derail, but +1 to sharing strategies broadly. If it weren’t for Bowen’s videos (and watching him a few times at NEPL nights) I wouldn’t know half the strategy I know. I can’t remember a tournament I’ve been to where someone didn’t give me a tip I didn’t know beforehand. Making Pinball Great Again.

1 Like

Interesting read. I can see both sides of the coin. I personally am not necessarily going to volunteer all the information I know against somebody im about to play. But if they ask me I will help them out as much as I can.

I think there are different situations. If I playing motordome, we have a discussion to make sure everyone understands the selection at the start. If we are playing Dr Who, or GOT, or AC/DC I am not going to tell anyone strategy. Actually, having people come up to me and say “left ramp all day” bothers me, especially if I already know the game.

If we are grouped together I know what advice to give you now thanks :slight_smile:

True story: I created Pintips after last year’s Pinburgh because I was talking with a friend about how unfair it was to see lots of people hoarding game rules on various secret apps.

Personaly opinion: I don’t really care either way for Pinburgh-specific game data such as “left flipper is soggy”. I’m fine with those things being shared in secret, but it makes me frustrated to see general game rules being shared in secret.

Aaaaaanyway, I can add a pinburgh2016 category when I land Wednesday night. If I forget due to jetlag just prefix tips with “pinburgh2016” and I’ll get them filtered somehow after the tournament.

Now let’s all pray that pintips will stay online during Pinburgh :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Awesomness!!!

I always just ask @keefer. You will never find a better database of pinball rules knowledge

1 Like

That’s a fact. I know Keith doesn’t even know me, but last year I was in the middle of a game on MB and I see Keefer standing there in a group about 4 banks away. I had a very specific question about the game and I walked right up between turns and asked him. He gave me a concise answer and I used that info to take 2nd place on a game which I knew very little about going into the match.:heart_eyes:

4 Likes

During an active game can you get coaching at Pinburgh? Ive always thought it was against the rules and avoided asking a question while in an active match when I wasn’t sure about something. Is it only coaching if you are at the table playing asking for help? Not trying to derail, just trying to sort this out.

As long as it is between balls, and not during an active ball, coaching is allowed.

Thanks. I’ve always been confused by the coaching rule.

Alright @kdeangelo I’ve added the “pinburgh2016” category. I didn’t want to forget so I did it now

3 Likes

i have my own secret site, "ask @KCB " :smiley:

2 Likes

I love pintips, but have always felt like I don’t have authoritative enough info to contribute. Decided screw it and have been running down the banks while waiting for my flights adding tips.

What is the standard practice when you disagree with a tip? Don’t vote it up obviously. But do people put in the opposite tip?

E.g. Taxi: “25k + Pickup is pretty much always the best shot.” This is very all or nothing advice. To follow this advice you need to understand enough about the game that you probably don’t need the tip. (Sorry acp if you are here. Don’t take it personally and thanks for the contributions).