PAPA Circuit 2017 questions.

Events that encourage and have participants from out of state should be considered above those that consist of only locals I agree. Isn’t it a point of a circuit event to attract players from all over the states, not just the locals?

INDISC attracts so many players from out of town because based on almost every account I’ve heard, it’s one of the best run tournaments there is.

4 Likes

The Herb format has always encouraged more to travel due at least in part to bigger payouts. Yes INDISC is well run, but this isn’t something new. Herb has always attracted the most out of towners.

It would be tough to restrict it to events that have a lot of people travel to them.

One thing you’ll notice is that when an event becomes a Circuit event, it tends to attract people from further and further away and boost attendance.

1 Like

I don’t know that Best Game format is the deciding factor for most people. I think a well run tournament attracts people.

Jim and crew do a fantastic job with INDISC so people will travel for it.

The old PAPA format, Pinburgh, and Pin-Masters are good examples of well run non-best game tournaments that attract players from all over to attend.

5 Likes

Yeah I would say that’s the number one thing that attracts out of towners.

Cleveland this past year had tons of out of towners after becoming a circuit event. Made it much more difficult to make finals obviously. Hopefully it’s on the circuit in 2017 too.

It is fantastic. Part of why I’m thinking of going to PAPA for the first time this year is because it sounds like it might be a bigger version of INDISC. If it’s run just as well as INDISC I’ll be a happy player.

P.S. this year’s INDISC field is ridiculously good. I’ve never said “void and requeue” so many times in my life.

5 Likes

Completely agree with you that things like our 24 hour Final Battle need not to become the norm. A couple more really unique/extreme events could be cool.

Being so extreme didn’t stifle our attendance. We sold out 100 spots within 20 minutes Of opening registration md had 50+ people on that waitlist the first day. Those registered spanned 18 states and 3 Canadian providences. Don’t think we are scaring the masses away.

Not knocking heeb/pump&duno formats either. Lots of these are tied to shows and that format is the best option to allow players to experience all of the show. We use the old papa style for the Pintastic tournament that we also run.

I feel like the circuit is all about showcasing the biggest/best/unique events we all have to offer

6 Likes

Surveys went out for INDISC and Magfest yesterday! Those are the final 2 events for 2016-2017. The initial schedule will be announced shortly afterwards, then we will open the nomination process for the 2017-2018 schedule.

4 Likes