PAPA 18 Discussion

The bootup screen always has the software revision in it on Sterns. It would be nice if it were in the Instant Info as well, but you can’t have everything. Your TD may let you reboot the machine to get the version number…

However, there’s umpteen million settings in the game, so the software version only tells you so much: the oddball ramp settings on BR in PAPA A were a surprise to many, it seems.

I know I came to you at the end with the same question.

I ended up not bothering as I didn’t see the point, I felt secure and all I was going to do was push someone else down 1 point on cactus.

The main reason I didn’t want to do it was logistical, I was thinking from a software perspective, the score keeper was going to have to find 2 open games to put me on to give me 0’s and with how crowded things were at the end, I didn’t even want to waste 5 minutes of the score keepers time to get two empty games so I could 0 out my two remaining scores. So I left it uncompleted.

If you wanted to give players the option to but 0’s in for remaining scores, I would set it as a second option under the void ticket button so you don’t actually have to try and find two open machines in the system and possibly hold up people from actually getting on the machine

This year in A division, out of the 24 players only 2 players did not have at least one zero as part of their composite score. 5 of 24 players had 2 zeroes.

Zeroes were commonplace this year.

That being said, I don’t understand why a player has to physically touch the machine to register a zero.

I can understand problems with an entry not yet complete at the end of qualifying and not knowing the player’s intent, but if a player declares to just mark the unplayed games as zeroes and record the entry with the completed games, what is the issue?

Just trying to understand the rules.

Thanks

I agree the idea of ‘faking’ needing to be put on a game to then have a zero for that game isn’t the best answer.

I know in the past if I’ve had an issue with my ticket (for example I had a score show up twice after I played - once as the last game one entry, followed by it showing up as the first game played on the following entry). I ended up going up to the front desk for Elizabeth to help sort it out.

Perhaps similar to a last call to buy entries up at the front desk, you can have a last call to submit any unfinished entries with zeroes for all remaining games through a line at the front desk.

Considering all the data entry that used to happen when all the scores had to be entered manually under the paper system, perhaps this is something the front of the house can take on in those final 15-20 minutes of qualifying when players in Sean’s situation want to make sure their entry gets counted even if it can’t be completed.

One of first times I competed in a tournament I was about to step up to AC/DC and Josh Henderson was sitting next to me. I said, “anything I should know about this one?” and he told me that the flippers were hot and backhanding the ramps was very difficult. Sure enough, they were squishy and it didn’t pay to try and backhand.

1 Like

What Mark said above. I was the one who told Sean he needed to to complete the ticket by playing the games.

Personally I think that’s an excellent idea. Forcing to be on a game is kind of arbitrary.

I guess my feeling here is that this kind of falls into gamesmanship. Do you take the chance you have enough time or not? I’d be fine with only offering the choice after a played game since I realize that is fantastically less complicated than any other solution.

As for the line-cutting, allowing someone to input a 0 is far preferable for me than making the person play and tilt 3 balls. If I know someone can just input a 0, I don’t care probably. But if you’re taking up 2 minutes of the remaining 10 to do that, that’s where it becomes sketchy.

That’s GENERALLY true. Sorry, though, I’m probably not telling you the Fireball skill shot position if I’m in a match against you. Especially since I spent $15 to figure it out (with additional thanks to Brian Dye who I thought was on here but I don’t remember his username).

Protip: Download the manuals from IPDB sometime. :wink: (That setting is listen in there, which I confirmed to confirm my knowledge of that setting.)

Well at least he got the correct information! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m all for the concept of allowing players to zero out unplayed games on a ticket – but only allow it once per player in the tourney. Otherwise, someone sniping another player’s “bleeder” score could play one game, zero out the other four games, and submit. Then get back in line on that same pin and do it again.

1 Like

That absolutely did used to happen for sure, and had been talked about as a strategy at least casually for years. I’m not exactly sure how successful people were at executing that strategy, however.

I kind of feel like if someone wants to spend $20 a shot to maybe knock someone down one point then go nuts.

I don’t particularly like that players can buy an entry and have no opportunity to play. Although a foolish thing to do I bought an entry with an hour to go and didn’t have time to play. At previous PAPA tournaments I had received a refund for un-played entries but not this time. Wonder how much money was collected in this manner?

What if there’s a shot to maybe knock someone down ten points? :slight_smile:

(Thanks Jim!)

1 Like

The only other thing I’d like to comment on would be wait times in the Classics.

I don’t have any good suggestions or solutions, but I just don’t have the patience to play classics anymore. I really want to play, but waiting around for 3 hours to complete an entry just isn’t my idea of a good time.

I don’t know if the solution would be to add more games or instead of individual tournaments have 1 and let is run till Saturday mid day with a Saturday final or even if anyone else sees it as an issue.

But that being said PAPA was awesome as always, congrats to Keith on adding another notch to the belt and Bryan the bathroom attendant has to be the hardest working dude I’ve ever met and if you didn’t tip him you suck!

4 Likes

Hi Keefer! You’re welcome!

I just think of it as a donation. Everything that happens after that is a bonus! =]

Karl says he can work this into the next software revision, so players at PAPA 19 will have an option to zero their remaining scores, similar to voiding.

2 Likes

Again, if you want to try at $20 a shot, go crazy!

The functionality is already there.

While scorekeeping, I did it for Cayle.

http://papa.org/live/playerIndex.php?disp=player&pid=135

Check out entry #391 - he only played 2 games and closed the ticket.

It was in the screen where you can check on the status of a player’s ticket.

I thought it might have been possible. Crud, can’t even remember what I write…

2 Likes

Don’t worry, it just means you’re super-productive. :wink: