Match Play Events: The Next Generation

Since you asked why we keep using the old MP for things, here’s two things I can’t figure out how to do in the Next.Matchplay, and so I’m using both versions every league night still.

First, in order for everyone to see their groups, I bring up the “broadcast view” screen below which has an easy to read list for people to look at, that just shows the groups for the night, and nothing else. I put this up as soon as I verify our generated groups are ok, then once everyone has found their group, we switch over to the Big Screen View on Next. I’ve not found a suitable way to do this on Next since Big Screen View shows all the games generated for all the groups and as follows, can’t fit all the groups into one screen everyone can easily read.

Second, I couldn’t figure out how to clone a series on Next last time I set up league. So I used the old version to build the new season.

Agreed! Thanks Andreas, our players also much prefer this format for viewing standings so having both ways available is great.

I would love it if the tournaments tab defaulted to either in progress or at least tournaments near the current date.

When I open it right now the first page is all tournaments 5+ months in the future.

5 Likes

Is the a specific text for how tie breaks (Strength of Opponents) works for formats like Max Match Play? Like how it’s calculated, etc.

I couldn’t find anything on it in the MP handbook (which I know is out of date).

If there’s an official post by Andreas here/somewhere please link it so I can save the link and send it to ppl when they fail to qualify for finals due to tiebreaks. :wink:

1 Like

I’ll tack onto this - old Matchplay only shows events a week into the future, whereas nextgen shows everything, which shows events way too far out imo. Right now, the first page of all tournaments in nextgen shows events from 12/26/23 to 8/29/23, so browsing through all and looking for a given event doesn’t really work (which I didn’t mind doing before, especially in coordination with find on page or cmd+f on desktop). I’d enjoy seeing that weeklong restriction in nextgen, or at least a filter/button to bring to you a week out, or a tournaments happening today type of thing.

I often want to see tournaments I’m not playing in, just to follow along and see how folks are doing, and this is the one place where nextgen is not as easy as the older version for me.

As @chuckwurt said, tournaments near me would also be an awesome feature.

3 Likes

For Max Matchplay, when the tournament is running, in the standings it shows 3 numbers next to each player:

Total Points

Median-Buchholz: The sum of all opponent’s points. Highest and lowest value removed. Two highest/lowest removed when over 9 rounds.

Solkoff: Sum of all points from opponents. No values removed.

1 Like

The Big Screen View highlights the TD in the standings and the TD’s game.

And it doesn’t show the results of the current round. I heard this is a “feature” of the new version, but many players don’t use a phone, they look at the big screen to see what game they are in and to check the results. Oftentimes players catch result errors on the big screen. At least have an option to display the results of the current round.

2 Likes

There appears to be an issue with using the “Keep 4 Best Results” setting for a Series.

It appears to be tallying and displaying the proper points for everyone but is still sorting/determining players position in the standings based on whatever their Total Points would be.

Edit: I just went to test what happens with other numbers of “best results kept” and it doesn’t seem to be as simple as Total Points determining the order.

One of the complaints i have gotten about the new software from some of the members from my league that help me score keep was, when entering match results, with the dots and the autofill feature. They find it much easier to make a mistake then the old software especially with the autofill. We do like how you implemented touching the names which definitely helps. We use a tablet for a lot of our events and find with the new software more mistakes are made when entering results. for example accidentally touching one of the dots then autofilling and not noticing. Maybe this is being nitpicky and i am not sure if anyone else agrees or not, but i thought i would bring it up

one other member mentioned they liked in the old software how easy it was to get the pin-tips. i did eventually find it for him, but he liked in the original UI when you have the name of the game, the pintips link is right there beside it

Some other members mentioned they just prefer the UI in the old software compared to the new

We did a round robin the other day for a split flipper tournament. it generated all the rounds and arenas for the whole tournament right away. so some people found it very difficult to find there matches and were doing a lot of scrolling to find where they were playing. is it possible to only show one round like a matchplay and the tournament director can choose to start the next round or not. and also i had a couple games go down during the tournament and since it generated all the rounds and arenas, i had to go to every round and find the game that was down and change arenas. is there a way if you deactivate a arena, you can refresh the round robin and it changes the game for any round with a deactivated arena

2 Likes

The best way to accomplish what you’re looking for is to use the Max Match Play/Roundless Round Robin tournament setting, set total games played to one less than the total number of Split Flipper Teams and then play out all of those games before creating your next round of games.

1 Like

Open the big screen view in an incognito window if you don’t like the highlighting

6 Likes

Please share links to your series. Otherwise it’s very difficult to fix.

https://next.matchplay.events/series/2408

1 Like

Found the issue! Should be better now!

2 Likes

Minor bug report: In a max match play tournament, I added a new machine to the arena list and then clicked the Create games button. Players who used the on-page refresh button to see their new matches on their phones saw their match listed with no machine name.

They were able to fix this by using the browser’s refresh button.

It’s probably not worth fixing but I figured I’d post it here in case anyone else comes across it and isn’t sure what to do.

Just wanted to give you a massive thumbs up. Been the TD of a tournament this weekend and having the preferred arena option for the streaming has made the entire thing so much better.

And having Matchplay with its amazing software and features makes my life as TD so much easier!

As always a pain to praise a Dane ( :wink: ) but none of us could hold our tournaments without you <3

13 Likes

It is worth fixing, but I haven’t decided on a strategy yet! The new MP transfers much less data around (for performance reasons) compared to the old MP. One consequence is that it’s currently not going to fetch player data (and arena data). I need to decide on the optimal strategy for doing so. I’ll get there!

1 Like

@Odi I know it’s hard. As of a few years ago I am a dual-citizen of both the United States and Denmark. So you can think of me as an American when you want to give me a compliment and as a Dane when something isn’t working!

5 Likes

Are the “stats” (with the cool graph) not ported over to Next yet? Or could I just not figure out how to navigate it on desktop

I haven’t moved that chart over yet, but you’re not the only one to ask so I’ll get it ported soon