Making Pinball More Welcoming (AKA #PinballSoWhite)

Not what I was suggesting. I’m saying it’s alright for anyone, no matter what their skin color, to do it, as long as it’s funny.

No one knows the context of the pic in question. If you’re going to call the pic racist, I think you’re also saying Barry Ousler is racist. Never met the man, so I’m not going to make that assumption.

I completely understand what this thread is about. Scroll up to see some of my earlier posts.

I stand firmly with the fact that no matter what the context is blackface is racist

3 Likes

You said race is fair game in comedy above. So it’s ok for Dave Chappelle to do whiteface, but no one should ever do blackface? Is it ok for white people to dress up as their favorite black entertainer for Halloween as long as they don’t wear blackface? Just want to know where we’re drawing the line.

Face paint isn’t racist. People are racist.

2 Likes

This is not correct, and not up for debate Here as stated above. There is also another thread in here about the fallacy of reverse sexism which applies equally well to reverse racism. This is also not up for debate here.

I still think there is potential to have a good discussion around the original topic here but this thread is now on a very short leash.

2 Likes

I recommend that you do some research on the difference between racism and prejudice, because I think conflating the two may be the source of your confusion.

3 Likes

Honestly, you should close the thread.

To me things like #sowhite, #pinballsowhite and blaming the gap (in pinball) on “white supremacy” are derogatory and offensive (at least it offends me). You can argue it’s not racist but you can’t argue that those types of terms can be offensive to people.

I would actually like to have these conversation on how to bring more diversity into the community but not if people can throw those terms and labels out without being allowed to debate the reasons why I feel it’s offensive.

7 Likes

I’d like to give an example of what I’m meaning above.

This is true that there is a fundamental difference between racism and prejudice, but in my eyes there should be no place for either (especially in pinball) and both are fundamentally wrong. As such, IMHO, it shouldn’t matter if someones hate comes from racism or prejudice and both should be actioned in the same fashion.

GDD - I know this is your site and you don’t want the political stuff in here. I can fully respect that which is why I have kept quite 99% of the time here and I don’t offer my opinion in other threads in general anymore. I only mentioned the above and this example as some of the debates that I do feel need to happen in order for the community to progress in an more open way. I agree with you though, that it doesn’t need to be debated on a forum (which is why I suggested it being closed). It would be AWESOME if some of the leaders of the community could get a group of people together that represent all backgrounds (Men/Women, All Races, Liberal & Conservative, Young/Old) to talk about what they see and experience and how we can collectively remove some of the barriers. That needs to be vocal though IMHO and not a forum type of conversation.

Both are bad. Neither should be in pinball. I’m not sure of your point here, but it sounds like you’re worried about prejudice against white people, and I find it hard to believe there is a lot of that in pinball. (Talking about the existence of cultural white supremacy is not prejudice against white people.)

“Both are bad” never entails “neither is worse than the other.” If you truly can’t see why racism is worse than prejudice (especially prejudice by people not in power against people in power, which I assume is the specter you’re trying to conjure here) then I don’t know what to say to you, at least outside of a setting where I would get paid for it.

5 Likes

My choices around these topics have nothing to do with politics. Politics are things like tax policy and whether or not a piece of legislation will or won’t achieve a set of goals. Discussions around racism and sexism are not topics of politics, they are topics of human rights. There is a very big difference, and it is one of the reasons I won’t debate them here because I find it offensive that people want to debate the validity human rights or the systems that cause those human rights to be violated.

That said, I think I agree that we’re too far of course here to get the topic back to a place that is productive so I’m going to lock this thread.

19 Likes