John Wick Rulesheet

Ain’t no AI better’n Simpson’s Crazy Extra Ball, just sayin…

1 Like

I’m having a lot more trouble than normal figuring out what exactly I have to do to light an Adversary mode, even after reading this rulesheet and spending a lot of time with the game. (I’ve done it several times, but I don’t understand how I’m doing it.)

1. What do you mean a location will be assigned? Does this mean only enemies hit at a certain shot will count towards my total? Or does being “assigned a location” mean literally nothing more than being assigned a number of enemies to defeat?
  2. What do you mean “while at this location”? Does my location change over the course of the game?
  3. Why mention the daily seed? Does the Assigned Location stay the same for everyone for an entire day
    Mentioning the seed stays the same for an entire day is confusing and unnecessary if all it’s trying to convey is the underlying mechanism by which it performs the RNG, and the location is effectively random.
  4. Do these three locations correspond to certain shots? Or does any enemy at any shot count? I looked at the playfield and couldn’t find anything labeled “Wick’s House”, “Abandoned Building” or “Catacombs”.
  5. Do enemies defeated during a Jobs count towards the Location total? (it seems implied that they do)

And finally, a subjective complaint about the rules: there are seven factions, and seven job types. You can change what faction is lit by hitting certain shots. But this mechanism is rendered completely pointless by the fact that jobs are assigned to factions randomly. As far as I can tell, Factions have NO inherent rewards or properties, so choosing between them is utterly meaningless.

I get that there is a theoretical rare instance where you notice player one get a faction linked to a job you like or dislike, and you therefore seek or avoid that faction. But that seems like such a slim use case that it really doesn’t justify having randomized jobs. The game would be more engaging if there was a reasonable mechanism to choose what jobs to chase.

Competition Mode fixes this, but why even have it this way to begin with? What’s the benefit of giving the player choices that are pointless?

Just my opinion.

1. Being assigned a location just means defeating a certain number of enemies.
  2. I assume getting new Adversaries will change locations.
  3. Mentioning the daily seed is there so you know why you get one location one day, a different one the following day.
  4. Locations don’t correspond to certain shots. They are just set the enemy count.
  5. Yes.

As for Factions, I imagine at some point they will give bonuses and rewards since we are still at 0.8x code. I think they want to show off the AI stuff and players don’t really notice or care much about it.

1 Like

All of this is correct.

Just installed .88 today and notice a repeating clink that gets faster as if there’s a hurry up shot I’m supposed to hit. I don’t know what starts it and I don’t know what I’m supposed to do when I hear it. Thoughts?

That’s the enemy spawn timer. It starts when an enemy is about to spawn and makes a different sound when it actually spawns.

Thanks for making me to read the notes about it since I was wondering the same thing.

1 Like

Thanks but why do we care. Is there an advantage to hitting an enemy as they spawn? We need enemies to get to the extra ball and the Villain Modes. I can’t think of a reason we need to know they are spawning as it’s happening. And I find the sound annoying.

Yeah I agree with you about the sound and flashing lights for the enemy spawn timer. I don’t like it myself and really wish for an explanation for why Stern felt this was something they needed to add.

Nope, it just informs you that your lit shots won’t be able to hit very soon, and modes can be valuable.