IFPA discussion on eliminating games before finals

Definitely sounds like you are removing games from being available in order to speed up the tournament, so while finals wouldn’t count towards TGP, it sounds like a blast and definitely soul crushing!

Can you help me define this? I can’t have 20 games in a 8 match playoff and the games needs to be pre-allocated and not selected by the players. Do I have to assign the games from the pool of qualifying randomly to the playoff bracket? What criteria is available to us as TDs?

1 Like

is removing games that are having issues ok?
is random from types ok say at least 1 em at least 1 dmd, ect?
what about an launch party in where game X will be in each playoff round and other games random?

Randomly assign those 8 games from your full list of 20 and you’re good to go.

Removing any games that you had physical issues with through the qualifying process and you’re good to go.

Removing any games because they were the longest playing games during qualifying is not okay.

1 Like

Thank you! I will adjust the selection criteria for our next events (this is a quarterly tournament).

is random from types ok say at least 1 em at least 1 dmd, ect?
what about an launch party in where game X will be in each playoff round and other games random?

room / zone splitting say no more then X games in this zone or room at the same time?

I’m confused, any tournament with pre determined finals games is now against the TGP rules unless those banks are determined randomly?
Or is it only a problem if the finals games are non random, but determined after qualifying (not determined ahead of qualifying)…

Scenario A) TD picks iron man, big buck hunter, the PAPA Dark knight, TWD ahead of time before qualifying starts as the designated finals bank, and will admit they chose those 4 games because they are known to be quick playing

Scenario B) same thing but TD claims he just really likes those games

Scenario C) TD waits till after qualifying then does scenario A

Scenario D) TD waits till after qualifying then does scenario B

Which of these is okay vs not?

5 Likes

well replace quick playing with saying BEST playing?

And now best playing may or not be quick.

also removing games with physical issues and or software issues?? Well it can be easy to find some small physical issue with an long game.

1 Like

I get that the theme is meant to be soul crushing, but is there really much difference on how long the games play there? Are you guys using match play times to measure? I asked Carey at the the old place if he looked at game audits and he said no. I’d really like to see the average ball times on some of those games. I suspect most all are under a minute.

You can have a completely different bank of games for finals setup before the event. Making that bank of game during the event based on what has been playing the fastest is not okay.

We have for sure had league nights held up for almost an hour because of long playing groups. It happens enough that I can think of at least three times in just the last season. Usually on the modern games, yes even the ones with lightning flippers.

1 Like

Yes, we use MP to gauge the match times. You can sort in the stats based on match time. And yes, ball times were under 1 minute on the games that qualified in the top: Match Play Events

1 Like

@pinwizj can I seed the finals bracket before the tournament starts based on historic ball time data? Or as @raydaypinball was asking, just because I like those games?

NOT ALLOWED

ALLOWED

NOT ALLOWED

ALLOWED

Just read this rules verbiage and it should be pretty clear:

“Any tournaments that eliminate any games that were previously available in the event due to time . . .”

First part → Does a tournament eliminate any games? (the answer was yes to all 4 of your scenarios)

Second part → Were those games eliminated due to time? (the answer was yes to 2 of your scenarios)

and hope you don’t need to sub games in and out

Just follow the rule . . . you cannot eliminate games due to time in an effort to make the tournament go faster.

We reserve the right to call “bullshit” in any situation depending on whether there’s evidence that exists that may point to a TD not really making the decision based on the games being their favorites.

Such evidence includes streaming of events, Tilt Forums posts, etc.

2 Likes

Finals games are played on the games in the last 2 rows. But how did you select which games went in those rows? Ahhh…look over there…purple monkey dishwasher.

This is crazy

Tournaments have been making balanced (timing wise) finals banks for ages, you’re telling me they’ve all been living a lie to skirt around this rule?

2 Likes

This is definitely room for gray areas here. I won’t be a smart ass about it and rest assured that future events that I run in this format will be randomly selected functional games from qualifying.

This rule has been in place since 1/1/2023, so there wasn’t anything to worry about prior to that . . . unless by “ages” you meant the past 11 months.

If you’re worried that you may be busted for removing games from being available in an effort to speed up the tournament, just hit me up with your situation like Michael did and we’ll sort it out.