How did you start your scene?

Absolutely. Case in point: Pinballz. We’re up to 30-40 players per event despite their best efforts.

1 Like

Haha. Yeah we don’t have near the foot traffic here in cincy so we’re just happy with the 10-20 regulars we get and the great playing games we have.

3 Likes

Assuming @Law is talking about Pinballz in Austin, the idea of foot traffic gave me a bit of a laugh – I made the mistake of trying to walk from Pinballz to the Avis a half mile away last fall, and was quickly reminded how much TX hates sidewalks. :wink:

Yeah, good ole Pinballz. It’s like milking cats. Bad mix of aggressive not-caring at the top level and seeing “the regulars” and tournament players as high maintenance complainers.

Several Austin locals have been working on building relationships for years but (since I’ve been around) high staff turnover and the pervasive attitude among the staff that assisting with leagues and tournaments is extra unrewarded work for already low-wage employees has been extremely difficult to overcome. A few times now “league duty” has been given to shift managers that appear to be on probation, followed by them quitting or being fired after a month or two. It’s not the best situation but we’ve been trying to make it work and I think we’ve been pretty successful and brought in a lot of new people.

Really, though, my initial comment on operator involvement was more of a jest and a comment on the potential if everyone was on board.

Contrast this with Buffalo Billiards and @BuffaloATX - awesome guy, awesome location, awesome games, and huge impact on the community despite having 5% of the games and way less space for Pinball than Pinballz does. Hope to see everyone on this forum at the Bat City Open this year - it’s going to be epic!

3 Likes

Epic!! Every game is going to have Thing mini flippers!! Tight Tilts!! and Silicone Spray wax everywhere!!
I kid, I kid…

1 Like