Do you play your tournaments sober?

The last major tourney I was in i qualified in round 1 on a combo of marijuana, lsd, shrooms, MDMA, and nitrous. Played that way all weekend and ended up coming 3rd in B division

6 Likes

Hey, wait. Are you Justin Bath?:dizzy_face:

2 Likes

Release the Kraken!!

3 Likes

There ought to be a tournament where you have to take a bunch of stuff except the only machine is Orbiter 1. The last person left alive is the winner.

14 Likes

Shouldnā€™t Time Fantasy be in the tournament if psychedelics are involved?

5 Likes

It was last year! :grin: good times!

I played my first big tournament at pinburgh and I was quite surprised at how few people were drinking. On Friday I knew I probably needed 18 points in the two rounds so I showed up to both rounds double fisting Yuengling 20s. end result was a nice buzz and an 11 in round 10 to advance to A finals.

Bottom line for me is that Iā€™m just playing to have fun and the beers help prevent you from taking yourself too seriouslyā€¦after allā€¦it is just pinball.

4 Likes

I did the exact same thingā€¦ With different results!

I canā€™t imagine playing a proper tournament with alcohol. My reflexes need to be on, and while I might have more fun after 1 drink, after that itā€™s all down hill. And many tournaments are often about endurance, so I couldnā€™t imagine even drinking the night before.

1 Like

The flip side of all this of course is that few people enjoy playing in a group with someone whoā€™s wasted.

3 Likes

You mean those $7 tall cans of swill? Nah, better off slamming a few in between rounds at a bar down the street. Those convention center beers were way too pricey.
I stayed sober till round 8. Played really, really well all day Thursday until I just plain got tired. A bit of jet lag and all day tournament play will do that to ya.

1 Like

Itā€™s swiller time! Finding good beer in PIT that you can keep with you in the room or cooler is quite a challenge without way overpaying or having to buy a 72 pack.

1 Like

Everything I used to get from drinking I now get from headphones. Now if I could only hear the tilt warnings :frowning:

5 Likes

Do tell, What ARE you listening to?

I canā€™t tell if youā€™re specifically interested in what @G_Money is listening to or more generally what people listen to, but if itā€™s the latter, thereā€™s a thread for that!

2 Likes

Techno/House. Something I can completely lose myself in and I donā€™t have to think about.

added to that string CFFLegs!

1 Like

Sometimes I smoke weed before I play. It helps keep my hands dry, blocks out a lot of background noise, and really helps curb my anxiety.

Iā€™ve had mixed results with alcohol. Since one of the places I play at regularly is a bar, Iā€™ll occasionally have a drink or two. Some days it puts me in the zone. Iā€™ve definitely gone overboard before, and then itā€™s hard to focus on what shots I should be making, or my stance is all wrong or something.

Not tournament related, but over the summer I tried out acid and towards the end of the trip (meaning no hallucinations) I went out and played some pinball. EMs looked especially cool because of the bright colors many of the 60s and 70s used. I also played the longest game of No Fear I ever have, and couldnā€™t care less about what was going on- far too difficult to stay focused. Fun to try, definitely not recommended for tournaments unless youā€™re a reincarnation of Hunter Thompson.

4 Likes

I get drunk to be around people who play in tournaments.

4 Likes

ā€œAll that being said, if youā€™re purely focused on improving your results I would suggest not playing pinball under the influence of anything, even while practicing. Youā€™re just introducing another variable in your performance thatā€™s too hard to account for.ā€

After following this thread, as well as experimenting over the course of the time Iā€™ve been playing (4 years or so), I think the above is the most accurate answer to the question. If you want consistency, being ā€˜soberā€™ or not under the influence of anything, you are removing possible randomisers in your normal play.

Ultimately will it matter? For me personally Iā€™m still not sure. I won one of the biggest competitions ever held in Australia whilst drinking the entire weekend (Batcave Masters 2015). Iā€™ve also almost come last in big competitions whilst drinking. Iā€™ve done well and done terribly sober (Iā€™m coming to the end of a ā€˜dry Augustā€™ as well with mixed tournament results).

So yeah, I have no motivation to curb my behaviour at this point. Though do concede - and going back to the above quote - if you want ā€˜moreā€™ consistency, itā€™s best to remove as many influencers to your play style as possible. But that doesnā€™t sound like fun at all!

1 Like