coming soon - Android app to access IFPA

Thanks. Yes, I need to better handle how locations are provided to the events search.

I’m thinking that the events calendar will show the city and radius being searched at the top, with a way to change the city inside the events calendar and in the preferences, and, eventually, providing a notification when a new event appears on the calendar when a user specified a preferred city.

version 1.2 should be available soon to your device and allows you to search for events in different cities as well as working better when you don’t have location services turned on:

screenshots!

this is what it looks like if you are in Boise

the denizen of Boise wonders if Omaha has pinball and selects the city field to change cities. Cities are autocompleted in a dropdown to select and results are loaded:

now if you want to have events shown near you instead of Omaha (your last search is saved), you go into the settings:

and uncheck “Override Location Request”:

even if you turn off Location features on your phone, this is using the Google location services API which still has an idea of where your last location was from, at least, an hour ago. if you have never shared your location with Google’s location services since your phone has powered on, this is what you will see:

I think that covers it.

I still haven’t figured out how to make the software keyboard go away once you select a city from the autocomplete dropdown so you’ll have to hit the back button like you have to in every other app…

3 Likes

version 1.3 should be available now and fixes the error message about the Places API (needed to generate a second ‘browser key’ instead of a ‘android application key’ that I used during development), as well as removing the unneeded permission to write to external storage (seemingly mistakenly added by the latest version of google’s play services library). let me know if you run into problems using it.

2 Likes

hi
I’ve made the app open-source (except for my API and publishing keys)
It’s GPLv3 and you’ll have to open-source your improvements (or else).
Or send in a pull request to add features, and I’ll look into adding them

2 Likes

Cool. Just installed – works great. Thanks for all the work on it!

1 Like