BSD @ IFPA 16 finals

Fuck it . . . we’re going to top @timballs and throw the game out NOW after the fact, so that entire game is void.

I’ll invite Johannes and Daniele to my house to settle this at the Power100 in October.

9 Likes

Can you imagine the ratings?!

On High Hand

2 Likes

Are you available for commentary?

I’m liking where this is going . . .

4 Likes

Can you tell me a specific 10M you don’t think was earned. I think they all are. I believe the drop target, the alter and the asylum all award 10M

1 Like

Kudos to @cayle for immediately jumping up and be willing to help with the situation. Nice job sir!

2 Likes

let’s just take 6:29:55-6:30:15, as a specific, easy to view example, from where Daniele’s got both balls trapped. He starts off that section with 32 million, hits four ramps (where we hear the delayed/repeated callouts), and ends that 20 second section with the score showing 92 million, 20 million more than the four ramps total would be, right?

each ramp scores 5m base

4 Likes

Never mind! I’m told the plaintiff doesn’t understand how BSD scoring works.

4 Likes

DMD presentations can queue up and hence be delayed. Especially the extra lengthy Replay sequence on this game can hold other stuff back. The reason for the two in succession Castle JPs we saw.

Points are awarded instantly at shots made.

2 Likes

Dracula is particularly bad at managing display priorities.

I’ll also say that watching live I noticed that the video and audio were fairly out of sync during this game. Anyone trying to match the two might have gotten confused by this. I haven’t gone back to the recording to see if it is there as well.

2 Likes

5 Likes

It’s an issue around which animation has priority. The loop number animation has to complete first, so they get jammed 2 at a time.

The other 10 millions are also earned; you get one for hitting the drop target at the top (on a plunge). The game was working properly at this point.

2 Likes

thanks for the explanations - i had no idea all those other things (the drop target, the alter and the asylum) all award 10Ms during the MBs

1 Like

Can’t believe I’m saying this, but I’m probably in for the Power 100 this year :smiley:

Dead money incoming

I am not a BSD expert, and have no insight as to what happened. However, I will say despite any so-called bugs, quirks, glitches, malfunctions etc., that was extremely exciting to watch. Simply incredible play by both competitors.

2 Likes

You’re not really declining the malfunction, you’re declining compensation. Also, this is not 100% up to the player.

Can you give some examples of when this is not up to the player, and if there’s ever a case where it makes sense to decline compensation?

Totally disagree - the call-outs and animations are delayed. I see a shot for every 10 mil there and no phantoms. You have one for every ramp hit, one for the rats hole, one for the drop target in the back on the auto-launched ball , one for the Renfield hole etc. Drac doesn’t always make the call-out at the exact time the shot is hit.

1 Like

An example of when I have left players decline in the past: Game with giant bonus that carries over, player has a lot of bonus tallied on ball 2 and the flipper weak flips and they drain.

Upon inspection of the game when a TD is called over it is discovered the flipper linkage is broken. We must turn off the game to repair it. The player wants to preserve his bonus onto his next ball, so he asks if he can continue play on ball 3 with the game in the current state and decline the major malfunction. I agree. He plunges, maybe gets one flip and collects his giant bonus again. Game over, score recorded.

This was an example of a single player game where I allowed it. In that circumstance, the player just wants to preserve his bonus points and chooses to play the game without a flipper in order to complete his game and score the points he needs, rather than 2 comp balls (balls 2 and 3) on a fresh game.

This situation would not apply in a multi-player game.

This option is never totally up to the player.

9 Likes