Advantages of playing last?

A2 54. Kick Lock Holes: No, Any Lock or 2 Locks.

3 Likes

If I plug the locks, and get enough free hits on the matrix, why would I skip at least a few hundred million from jackpots? Same goes for video mode. If it’s lit from enough random shots hitting escape targets or making it through the pops, it’s 4 shots for a couple hundred million instead of 12.

If you make every single one of your shots in the options you describe, you can still drain from feeds that are “random” and do not return your ball directly to the flipper. If you make all your shots going for sonic booms, you will never drain. In one strategy, you only assume risk when you miss, in the other strategies you assume risk with made shots. Depending on skill level, booms = less risk imo and better scores.

3 Likes

I do the same thing with guys like KCB, MAK, DBS, RAY, and GER whenever I have to play them. It’s not that often though.

Agree with Cayle. Dr. Who may be the only game where you are in 100% control of your destiny from the plunge. Even if the ball moonwalks out the outlane from the ramp you get it back on the right flipper.

2 Likes

I agree with Cayle. However, the big assumption here is that everyone has the skill level to “make all your shots,” or at least make enough of them to justify loop/boom as their best strategy. I’d argue that everyone should try to improve, and dial in their shots to make loop/boom as their go-to strategy, but… less-skilled players will likely struggle with the patience to wait on the late-flipper shot to the dead-end as well as the consistency in hitting consecutive loops plus the R ramp and dead-end shots during sonic boom. I struggled with this in trying to teach my sons to actually execute the loop/boom strategy. They’ll end up hitting bricking/bouncing around enough to start the lock/multiball sequence.

video mode for those in the know?

I always play video mode in qualification, single attempt formats, nice safe easy points, with very little risk. (Worth looping a few times just to get the multipliers up first though)

1 Like