4-player group strikes - the new hotness?

4 player group knockout using Matchplay with big screen view is fantastic! Thanks Andreas! 3 player not so much. It is either too punishing (2 strikes,) or too lenient (1 strike). It does play long, but the social benefit and the lower stress quotient (sans 3-player groups) make it my preferred knockout format.

I am curious about this round robin group format that Snailman mentioned. Is their any software that handles this?

1 Like

Matchplay does round robin

But not for group play. Itā€™s actually a really good idea because a head-to-head round robin takes forever to finish. Playing in groups would cut down the time needed significantly (machine choice becomes much more important though!).

2 Likes

Bumping this thread. Has anyone else tried out this format? How did it go?

I want to run a tournament lasting approximately 5 hours for 20-25 people. There are enough machines that nobody has to wait. Iā€™d like to implement the 1 strike rule for 3-player groups but am afraid weā€™ll be playing forever. At the same time, Iā€™m worried some people might get knocked out in three to four rounds and not feel like they got their moneyā€™s worth.

Howdy, we have done this on two different occasions. One with two strikes in three player group and one with one strike. Our last one had 23 players and lasted about 6 hours. We had 8 machines. Both were 3 strikes per player. If we get 15ish players we will change that to 4 strikes on the next one. Let me know if you have any questions.

6 hours sounds good to me, provided thereā€™s a lunch break in between. Were players generally happy with the set-up or did people get burned out?

Everyone seemed to enjoy. We had several players from 2 hours away come to both so they must have enjoyed it. You have to remember that a lot of players are going to get knocked out pretty early on as well and wonā€™t be hanging around.

the only major issue with this tournament, using Swiss matchup especially, is the possible unbalanced time of certain games in the round. If you have 3-4 good players paired together (hopefully not on a LOTR or a SM) then their match could be 2-3x longer than other people in the roundā€¦
This happens frequently with 2 player head to head knockout but is further exacerbated with 4 players knockout with Swiss paring.
Fun format though, especially when you have restricted amount of machines compare to players Qty and you have TIME :slight_smile:
I still like MatchPlay with Balanced paring so you control the # of rounds and avoid recurring ā€œtop playerā€ paring which introduce longer downtime for other players but that is just me.

1 Like

I think our issue was longer playing games, not longer playing groups of top players. Though when you got the best group on the longest playing game, it did drag a bit.

Should also mention that I think the winner of our 23 person event received 12.33 WPPRs (COMO Strikes II), with 80% TGP. It grades out decently, but not perfectly. It is great WPPR bang for the time buck.

Just ran this 4 player, 3 strike format today. Love the software! Thank you very much !

20 players , took just about 4 hours. Games were a mix of eras, set up tough but playable. Used 6 games which allows for one spare in case of a major malfunction and nobody has to wait during those first 3 rounds where everybody is in.

The matchplay software saves TONS of time. But just in case the internet went down or some other fluke, I was keeping a running tally on an eraser board.

5 Likes

Did you do random draws or Swiss style? Just curious how you paired people after they got strikes.

Random draws.