WPPR v6.0? :)

Thanks for all the detail and the simulations you have been running, Josh , it gives me a lot of confidence in the system and I feel that I don’t have to worry any more about players being over ranked.

Why is the points system called WPPR? I know “whopper” is a really cool sounding name, but it certainly continues to confuse most of the players that come along to my tournaments. IFPA is the only brand they know, and they refer to points as “IFPA points.” Is there are reason that you keep two brands running where one could work?

Cheers, Greg

@pinwizj

World Pinball Player Rankings

I have an update on various ranking stuff (World’s Greatest, Womens, PAPA Circuit, Modern Pinball Impact, etc.) that I’ll post once the PPO and Boras results are in the system.

3 Likes

Love your analyses Bob! Excited to see what’s in the Modern Pinball Impact one too

i knew that. why have two brands?

It’s not two brands. The IFPA is the organization, the World Pinball Player Rankings is a ‘thing’ that we manage, similar to how we manage the State Championship Series, Pin-Masters, etc.

Everything we do falls under the IFPA brand umbrella.

1 Like

Circuit standings are updated now and everything is on IFPA… SUPERLeague takedown incoming?

3 Likes

YES!!!

Tim Rant THAT! :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are most welcome, sir!

Superleague forever!
Proud to be one of the Superleague Eleven!
The Soldiers of FLR!!!

I was recently caugt off guard by the WRRP rule that, for TGP, the games played in 4-player groups may be counted as double. @pinwizj can I ask you to explain the reason for this. And clearify if this goes for rounds where 2, or 3, players advance.

I have searched former debat and the website. It doesn’t seem to be explained. And I cannot figure it out myself. And I see some not so great consequences.

I believe the theory behind it is 4 player games allow you to make more decisions since you are chasing three different scores at the same time in the same game. In head to head you only focus on the score in front of you. In 4 player games it’s like three head to head games.

In fact, shouldn’t four player groups count as 3x? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This has already been part of the ruleset for several years.

By awarding double value, this balances out different formats. Otherwise, any TDs or players who highly value WPPRs would rarely, if ever, do tournaments with four player matches because they take twice as long.

5 Likes

I think it’s simply a time thing. 4 player groups take twice as long as 2 player. 3 player groups take 1.5 times as long.

2 Likes

It’s exactly this.

Exactly the time reason? Or the nature of having more oppenents.

When we don’t equalize the ability to earn WPPR’s with respect to the time it takes to earn them, it skewed the format of events that were being submitted.

We saw group play all but disappear when events could run double the number of 2-player matches in that same amount of time and get to 100% TGP faster.

This change with the bonus brought balance to the Force.

4 Likes

Plans to restrict WPPRs (or multiples of WPPRs) for playing multiple 4 player games at once?

2 Likes