Whoa Nellie as a comp game

Come on the shooter lane entrance is totally diffrent in Space Jam vs Stern Nba, plus one has Bugs Bunny!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Whoa Nellie is a fun game with a horrible theme, in my opinion. But yes, I would be slightly salty about being forced to play it in a comp. I know some other women players who actually refuse to play that game at all.

Still waiting for the Big Janglin’ Manmeat retheme.

2 Likes

I want a TBS die hard 2 retheme : Yippee Ki Yay Melon Farmer.

3 Likes

“Big Sausage” hunky butcher theme.

5 Likes

I once heard a rumor of a “Whoa Gary”, involving a pinball manufacturer and a gimp suit.

1 Like

Spider just caught a couple of flies

ETA: Why don’t we have a motherflipping Pulp Fiction pinball machine already?

When I saw the first shots of the machine, I thought quietly to myself “How can they believe they’ll get away with this? If they want to make a nostalgia machine, they could do it without including all the misogyny that was commonplace back then.”

At the very least, the machine is insensitive. And many would say that it is actually offensive. Not a smart move by Stern’s marketing department.

1 Like

It feels like a missed opportunity for a more inclusive throwback.

1 Like

The last (and best) release of Song of the South was on Laserdisc ;). Strangely enough, Splash Mountain at Disney Land is still Song of the South themed, even though they have basically disowned the movie.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

I’m in, especially if you can get Charles Barkley and/or Shaq to narrate gameplay a la Lyman’s Lament.

2 Likes

[quote=“Cornelius, post:11, topic:2326, full:true”]So I took my yung nephew on a pinball playing tour of LA last Friday. Capped off the night at Pins N’ Needles. After playing a few games with him, he turned to me and asked “do all the games from this era feature women’s nipples?”
[/quote]

That’s hilarious. It sounds like such a thing a little kid would ask.

[quote=“Cornelius, post:13, topic:2326, full:true”]As far as untapped themes for the children go
 how there isn’t a Pokemon or Minecraft or Five Days at Freddys pinball by now just seems like a HUGE oversight. Here’s hoping that Dialed In does well, because I see that being something that would appeal to a younger crowd, rather than all these companies focusing on Old White Man themes.
[/quote]

Well, there are already PokĂ©mon Pinball and PokĂ©mon Pinball R/S for the Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance, respectively, both of which were re-released on the Wii U Virtual Console. Aside from that, The PokĂ©mon Company is notoriously stingy on what it licenses out. Strictly speaking, a pinball manufacturer is far more likely to get the rights to PokĂ©mon’s competitor Yo-kai Watch (I don’t know if anyone here is familiar with it, but it is equally as big as PokĂ©mon in Japan), as Level-5 is aggressively trying to promote it in North America.

How well did Shrek sell anyway? It doesn’t sound like Stern was too happy with it. That’s the last major attempt I’ve seen in the industry to aim a machine at kids.

[quote=“heyrocker, post:17, topic:2326, full:true”]I don’t know how things are now, but when I was at PLD we pitched Gary on a Looney Tunes themed game and he didn’t want anything to do with it because it was “too kiddie”, which is hilarious considering that I doubt anyone under drinking age even knows who Bugs Bunny is anymore.
[/quote]

Oh, they know. They’re just not interested in it anymore.

The way I see it, if Whoa Nellie! Big Juicy Melons is in a competition, and it’s not in an insular location with a lot of regulars and few outsiders, use Pabst Can Crusher instead. It’s way less harmful to the public image of the people who’ll organize this event (unless the organizer is a woman, in which case it’s something totally different). While Whoa Nellie! is a callback to an earlier time, it’s a callback in the way that a theoretical film meant to imitate the 1930’s would unironically have white actors in blackface in it.

Personally, it does not offend me, but its brand of humor is far too shallow and crass for me to find it funny or appealing.

2 Likes

It’s funny that they literally have giant monuments in every park to a movie they essentially refuse to acknowledge.

1 Like