Whoa Nellie as a comp game

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Sounds like an excellent theme to me! I’m thinking Rocky & Bullwinkle that also makes sense to Europeans. I suppose the only kiddie themes that would pass the bar today would be Frozen or Cars or something along those lines.

I’d play a Carl Barks’ Donald Duck pinball in a heartbeat. So many good stories to explore.

It seems to me like the term “politically correct” has become a shitty excuse for belittling, bullying, discriminating or just poor behaviour in general. I hate it when I see it, and frankly, given our current political climate, it also seems entirely antiquated—much like Whoa Nellie as a theme.

And FWIW, I completely agree with Greg above… if you’re ever on a forum thinking to yourself “wow, I’m really emotional about this” take a step back or play some pinball for awhile. I can tell you that I probably post about 10% of what I think I might post because most times when I read what I was typing in response to whatever topic I felt like I had something to say about, I look back and think… “wow, that really adds nothing of consequence to this topic and there’s really no point in sharing just for the sake of it” and I hit cancel.

11 Likes

2 Likes

After the huge hit that was Bugs’ Bunny Birthday Bash I can see why the industry would stay away from that theme. I am guessing since the latest boom seems to be barcade and home ownership that kids would not be your ideal demographic.

4 Likes

You can try to throw us off the scent that you aren’t designing BBBB2 . . . but I’m not buying it :wink:

5 Likes

Space Jam 2!

3 Likes

I can see it now…

“From the brilliant minds of KME and Stern Pinball, Emoji Pinball! It’s :ok_hand::dancer::100:!”

3 Likes

Edited

One of the more shameless examples I’ve encountered during my very brief time in this hobby is on Mousin’ Around. Apparently they just had to put a ridiculously busty cat in the top corner of the backglass even though it serves no purpose whatsoever.

Edited

IMO Whoa Nellie is more offensive than previous examples you could mention because it isn’t a product of its time. Society was much more mysoginistic back in the 60’s, 70’s, and even 80’s than it is today, yet here is a pinball machine manufactured in 2015 where the entire theme is literally the busty farmer’s daughter. You just want to roll your eyes and say “I thought we were passed this, guys.”

4 Likes

Edited

1 Like

To answer the original question - I think WNBJM is a great competition game. It’s popular with newbies, casuals and experts alike as the goals are very clear, but also very tough to complete. It’s also a surprisingly very controllable game which is not immediately obvious when you look at it, and also looking at those tiny flippers…

As others have said though, it can put some people off and that’s very understandable. It was an attempt to be a retro art style calling back the pinball art of yesteryear. But the truth is that just doesn’t fly these days and it was a mistake on Stern’s (and Whizzbang’s) part in the execution, and they paid for it the sales numbers.

I’m a feminist and I own a WNBJM. It could be an interesting phycological exploration of my own mind on why I like stupid sexy shit - B grade horror (sexploitation (to an extent)), silly sex comedy (Austin Powers), and deep phycological sexual horror games / films such as Silent Hill, Mulholland Dr and most of Lynch, and The Shining and most of what Kubrick has done. This also includes sexualised games and pinball machines. I think it’s because I’m half British… And I mean that as a bit of a joke and also perhaps seriously!

However, WNBJM seems to exist almost outside of those categories and is not simply sexploitation or a deep introspective, but overt and singular in it’s objectification. Yes I love the game, but some of the callouts for example are questionable to say the least and a couple I find completely inappropriate. My wife, also being a feminist, hates the theme much more than I do, but (and going back to the original topic!) loves the gameplay.

So that’s a long way to say - it plays great, but can and does offend. Proceed with caution.

1 Like

Not to nitpick, but I don’t think anyone finds the game offensive. The theme, sure, but not the game. It’s a minor detail, but most everyone enjoys playing the game. I know what you meant, but there’s a huge difference between game and theme.

Pinball used to be incredibly racist.

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/images/3641/image-1.jpg

Cartoons were probably racist back then too.

1 Like

I just wanted to say that upon reflection and a little time, I’m not particularly thrilled with myself for the snarky typo post. I try to establish a pretty high standard for communications on here and I’ve always wanted to lead by example, which I failed to do in this case. Sorry about that.

12 Likes

They already did that!

2 Likes