Twitch/livestream setups.

Has anyone used a telestrator on twitch/stream?

Iā€™ve seen PAPA and iepinball use telestrators. Iā€™d love to get one going on OBS, but every solution Iā€™ve found is super hacky.

1 Like

I made a Whiteboard/Telestrator plugin for OBS, Iā€™d be happy to share with you all. This was the feature missing in OBS that I was really jonesing for. Here it is (Windows only, sorry):
https://tilde.town/~herschel/obs-scripts.zip

To use it, go to the Tools menu -> Scripts, click the plus, then add whiteboard.lua.

• You can now add a ā€œWhiteboardā€ source to any scene.
  • Whiteboard source will allow you to draw on any Fullscreen/Windowed projector window just by click and dragging (right click the preview and select Fullscreen projector).
  • To clear the drawing, set a ā€œClear Whiteboardā€ hotkey in the File->Preferences menu.

I use this with a touchscreen monitor for commentators, and it works nicely enoiugh.

Bonus: I made another script in there called rotate-source.lua. This will add a hotkey option for rotating a source 180 degrees. Handy for quickly flipping the PF camera if itā€™s upside down!

8 Likes

Awesome. Thank you Mike.

If you use the C920 instead of the C922, you can get it to output h.264 from /dev/video instead of mjpeg. Thatā€™ll probably save you a ton of bandwidth over wifi, and lead to a more stable stream. Last I checked, the C922 has the same hardware encoder, but the Linux driver only supports mjpeg.

https://wiki.matthiasbock.net/index.php/Logitech_C920,_streaming_H.264

Ya, thatā€™s what I do for the C920s. I use gstreamer to convert the raw/mjpeg to h.264 (for non-C920 options) encoding before sending it over the wire if Iā€™m worried about bandwidth, but since only one 60fps camera is running at a time the additional bandwidth isnā€™t a big deal. Doing it that way allows me to support the CamLink or other HDMI capture cards as well and turn anything into a networked camera. I tried grabbing the h264 data out of the mjpeg for the C922 (which I assume is the same as the Brio) but didnā€™t have much luck. Iā€™m hoping someone smarter eventually adds that to the Video4Linux tooling.

The C920ā€™s work great for a cheap remote setup (30fps), assuming you run them on the 5ghz channel on location. I got way too much interference on location using the 2.4 network. While Iā€™m a fan of the 60fps quality, the additional overhead for casual location streaming in bandwidth (which often sucks) and hardware requirements has me pondering sticking with 30fps for a bit. But itā€™s nice to have the option for both.

Sample of my Brio testing. I have it zoomed in a bit which seems to reduce the slightly fish eye look of the wide angle. It was 720p60 mjpeg source remote to the OBS gstreamer plugin source. Iā€™m going to try 1080p60 source and see what difference that makes in picture quality too and if my laptop can support it.

Thereā€™s no sound and I duplicated the feed from the backglass to make sure I could still handle decoding three feeds at once, so pretend thatā€™s a player/crowd cam. The Brio is running off a Libre Renegade over LAN since it seems to have issues a bit on the Pi. Not sure if itā€™s power or lack of USB drivers, but it has glitchy signal. Apparently, finding an AC wifi dongle that works in Linux is trickier than I though so Iā€™m stuck at the moment using LAN. Once I find one I think this might be my location setup though. Iā€™m going to test a Rock64 since the OS support on the Renegade seems to be a bit lacking at the moment.

The nice thing about still using the Logitech is I have full remote control over the camera settings like exposure, zoom, focus etc.

was watching RayDayā€™s stream recently, not sure the location (his house?) but each game in the tournament was setup with a single camera, zoomed out enough to see the entirety of the playfield and the scores.

Has anyone refined this setup at all? Setting up scenes for each camera to cut each source up into the playfield and scores? Seems like it could really help streamers on a lower budget. Also allow for a tournament to have more games covered with fewer cameras.

Iā€™d imagine you can even keystone the image so the scores arenā€™t skewed?

It was at the president of Seattle Pinball Leagueā€™s house, and due to time and logistics constraints, our setup only has one camera per game, plus a room camera. There is a bar that was mounted on the ceiling about a foot from the front of each game, giving you an angle that can catch both the DMD and playfield. The LCD games were less good looking because the LCD takes up so much real estate, but it seemed to work great for the Williams games (although some of the score at the top is cut off a little sometimes).

What was that website that sold all types of aluminum extrusions and connectors that people were using to make camera mounts and rigs? I remember a post where Karl and others had used it?

Been trolling the back posts and canā€™t find it.

https://www.8020.net/
See this thread: http://www.tiltforums.com/t/mobile-camera-rig-plans-and-materials/4524

I think I may have solved my glitchy video using the Brio with the Raspberry Pi (3b+). I noticed it was doing it over LAN too so it wasnā€™t just the WiFi. I disabled power to the HDMI ports, turned off power management on the wifi (big deal for latency) and turned the CPU freq up all the time and so far itā€™s running much smoother. I also found out my wifi router was set to the 20MHz and switching it to 20/40 made a massive bump in the Pi networking speed. Iā€™m going to be testing more tonight to make sure itā€™s really gone and not some trick. Also, it seems that turning down sharpening helps pick up a few frames/sec and now Iā€™m at a steady 60fps.

any recommendations on good touch screen monitors to use as a telestrator?

I used this monitor from GeChic and itā€™s worked decently enough. If you have a Surface or some other tablet, you could possibly use those as touchscreen monitors, even wirelessly, although I havenā€™t tried that.

Logitech Brio 4K is on sale right now for $160 (at BBY and a few others). And if you havenā€™t used Google Express before (and maybe if you have) you can use the HOLIDAY18 code to get another $20 off. That makes it not so obnoxiously expensive.

1 Like

This worked perfectly. Thanks again Mike.

2 Likes

Iā€™m selling a brand new monoprice audio inserter. This allows you to insert an audio source directly into HDMI feed. Very useful if youā€™d like to use a nice microphone to capture game sounds. I donā€™t need it because my new camcorder has a mic input. More info here

Asking $30.

finally got around to testing the telestrator scriptā€¦worked perfectly! Thanks!

3 Likes

Found a good use for my old iPad! Using the ā€œduet displayā€ app ($10), I can treat the iPad like an additional monitor. Combined with @mwelshā€™s whiteboard script, I have a powerful touchscreen telestrator

Works perfectly!

9 Likes

Dā€™oh I updated OBS to 22 from 21, and now the whiteboard script is broken. any ideas @mwelsh?